Snowflake Students

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/whole-household-isolation-students-needed-more-notice-says-msu/

This generation really can be priceless sometimes. They go over the UK, go bonkers on Freshers Week and pay little more than lip service to the UK COVID regime, and now are whinging about having to self isolate when they come home. They should be bloody grateful they can come home for Christmas at all!! 

There are thousands of people here who haven't seen loved ones - children, grandchildren, elderly relatives etc for quite possibly over a year - but they haven't seen Mummy and Daddy since the end of September - oh dear me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it’s outrageous only allowing students having names beginning with ‘J’ to come home. It’s disgustingly letterist.

Demonising young people is not big nor clever. In fact it’s incredibly irresponsible.

Should be relatively easy ... having a teenage daughter in the house its like the house is haunted........ every so often you see a presence in the room, you hear some moaning, and then a door sl

17 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/whole-household-isolation-students-needed-more-notice-says-msu/

This generation really can be priceless sometimes. They go over the UK, go bonkers on Freshers Week and pay little more than lip service to the UK COVID regime, and now are whinging about having to self isolate when they come home. They should be bloody grateful they can come home for Christmas at all!! 

From reports both in the press and anecdotally, most seem to have observed the regs at Uni.   I am not sure they are needlessly whinging, but saying there is a very short window to make alternative arrangements.  TBH, I think students have had a rough time with exam results, confirming places at Uni, only to go and be put into immediate lockdown and restriction.  In truth, it is the social events that actually help students settle into their new life away from home, they have not had that.  So if some are not looking forward to further lockdown rather than an immediate return to family, it is hard not to sympathise. 

Covid is affecting very many people in many different ways and you can no more castigate this group than those whose lifestyle choices have resulted in health conditions making them vulnerable, or unskilled works who have lost their jobs for having no transferable skills, or the old for being around so long they are vulnerable.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

There are thousands of people here who haven't seen loved ones - children, grandchildren, elderly relatives etc for quite possibly over a year - but they haven't seen Mummy and Daddy since the end of September - oh dear me.

You’ve totally missed the point. Haven’t you?

up until this latest change little Johnny or Jenny, or Jack and Jill, could come home and lock in their room whilst the rest of the family went about their business.

Now they come home and, either, mummy, daddy, siblings, etc have to take a fortnight off work/school/going out or they’ve got to find alternative accommodation for two weeks in limited self catering or dubious boarding houses with limited ability to provide food and drink, or outside space, at extortionate cost - demand will be high - even after a one off government grant.

Theyre in competition with key workers and other returnees, the latter also plunged into the same problem. So there’s a surge in demand, limited supply and short notice and some free money. We know what that will do to distort the market. 

All they’re saying is that the policy shouldn’t be changed at short notice. Many of them will have already booked travel. They and families deserve better. It’s typical Manx policy making on the hoof without thinking through consequences 

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

up until this latest change little Johnny or Jenny, or Jack and Jill, could come home and lock in their room whilst the rest of the family went about their business.

Now they come home and, either, mummy, daddy, siblings, etc have to take a fortnight off work/school/going out or they’ve got to find alternative accommodation for two weeks in limited self catering or dubious boarding houses with limited ability to provide food and drink, or outside space, at extortionate cost - demand will be high - even after a one off government grant.

My point John, is that they should just be grateful that they are being allowed home for Christmas at all.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

My point John, is that they should just be grateful that they are being allowed home for Christmas at all.

That only applies if they were warned in September, no you can’t come home. They were clearly led to believe that they, like any other person travelling off island, would be able to return.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

... little Johnny or Jenny, or Jack and Jill, could come home...

I think it’s outrageous only allowing students having names beginning with ‘J’ to come home. It’s disgustingly letterist.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11
9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That only applies if they were warned in September, no you can’t come home. They were clearly led to believe that they, like any other person travelling off island, would be able to return.

And they are. We are in the midst of a global pandemic. The world is upside down. There is constant and frequent change. The students aren't the only ones having to adapt and cope with hardships - so I wish they would just grow a pair and accept that sometimes life is hard, and not fair. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

And they are. We are in the midst of a global pandemic. The world is upside down. There is constant and frequent change. The students aren't the only ones having to adapt and cope with hardships - so I wish they would just grow a pair and accept that sometimes life is hard, and not fair. 

You’re still missing the point, the effect on the families who now have to quarantine, take time off work, or she’ll out for accommodation.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

More of the decisive talk then. Can’t you hear yourself? This divisiveness is dangerous.

Have some compassion. They’ve already had a bum deal working their ass off for A levels, getting into university only to find they are confined to their rooms and their learning is all online - and having the privilege of paying 7.5k for it plus accommodation. 

As John says it’s not just them having to make the adjustment, it’s their whole family. They’re not saying they aren’t grateful to be coming home, they’re just saying that it’s extremely short notice.

How would you feel about having to change your entire plans for the next fortnight and stay home - from Thursday.

Don't get caught up in this nonsense. 

• Like 6