Snowflake Students

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it’s outrageous only allowing students having names beginning with ‘J’ to come home. It’s disgustingly letterist.

Demonising young people is not big nor clever. In fact it’s incredibly irresponsible.

Should be relatively easy ... having a teenage daughter in the house its like the house is haunted........ every so often you see a presence in the room, you hear some moaning, and then a door sl

59 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Some students will only have 3-4 weeks vacation in the first place - take two weeks isolation off that and it's hardly worth it.  Obviously others will have have gone entirely to remote and could come back now - some already have.  It will depend on the university and the course they are doing.  So they really should have looked at a one-off payment of £500.

"Only"..? Xmas holiday at 'uni' was only 2 weeks in my day. 

Yep, it might be a good option to give 'em money to stay away.

And I realise Skype/Zoom/Meet isn't the same as in person but again, in my day the best you could get in any case was a queue for the public phone.

The kiddie winks are far too precious these days. Bless.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And I realise Skype/Zoom/Meet isn't the same as in person but again, in my day the best you could get in any case was a queue for the public phone.

We could send letters.

"Hi Mum, hope you are well. I'm ok, went to a gig last night. Isn't it sad Bob Paisley died. Say hi to Dad. Send money. Love Declan"

That sort of thing. But in big letters on small paper to make it look like more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
17 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You know that in most degrees, they do work them pretty hard right? Whilst you hear the odd tales of an easy ride, you tend to be doing 6 modules concurrently, with assessments for each due around the same time as you proceed through each term.

It's not 'aw bless, how precious', it's equally, little Jimmy has worked his arse off for a first so needs a break. Uni halls aren't exactly the best living accommodation, and you tend to be cooped up, especially at the moment. Many don't have sofas or a living room, your options are bed desk or kitchen table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I seem to recall it was always 3 weeks for Xmas and Easter, but no real half terms except for reading weeks  

I got 4 weeks in each of my 4 years. No reading weeks. Was that a hangover from many Polys being converted from CFE or Technical Colleges?

Friend who went to Oxbridge got 6 weeks, but then they had 3 x 8 week terms.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Yeah! And pandemics were harder too! And I had to walk uphill both ways to get to the COVID testing centre!

Stop being a sour old shite and perhaps acknowledge that finding out at a week's notice that your entire household will have to take 2 weeks off work on your return is a royal pain in the arse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Stop being a sour old shite and perhaps acknowledge that finding out at a week's notice that your entire household will have to take 2 weeks off work on your return is a royal pain in the arse.

It'll certainly prove whether 'mummy and daddy love you'...that is if they haven't already moved since you went away.

• Haha 6
11 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

My point is that you're a smug twat

I don't think it is anything to do with snugness, or who is being a miserable twat and who is not etc. We're in a pandemic and that is tough shit for everyone.

'Isolate at home and let your family go and have some freedom' has been done. That was when the word 'cluster' came about last week.

By all means come home but the household isolates with you.

There can't be exceptions made because someone is a student. The virus is indescriminate. It don't have a bleedin' heart.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Oh I agree, 100%. The difference is that IOMG/Cabinet Office are incapable of making rational decisions from the data, guidance and advice they're being given. 

Unlike the UK government who's rational decision making based on the data and advice they're given has been an example to the world 😉