Snowflake Students

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Just to remind you what you did say about the "walking petri dishes". 

Indeed. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. Any parent saying their child has been well behaved, not gone out drinking and stuck to all the rules at all times either has a very boring child, or doesn't know their child well enough. We've all been 18.

• Like 3
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it’s outrageous only allowing students having names beginning with ‘J’ to come home. It’s disgustingly letterist.

Demonising young people is not big nor clever. In fact it’s incredibly irresponsible.

Should be relatively easy ... having a teenage daughter in the house its like the house is haunted........ every so often you see a presence in the room, you hear some moaning, and then a door sl

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

When the Students went off to University in September things were just about under control in the UK, but arguably in better control here (in terms of infection rates), and let's face it - pretty much the majority of the population and the contributors here were content with being able to live freely and not have to walk around with masks on and being allowed to go out and enjoy the island.

Then, things worsened in the UK. I'm not blaming students for that, although a section of the UK media did - and there were clearly some students (clearly not Manx ones) who took the piss and went on the piss.

Don't forget that the reason the Universities were able to accept Students was that the UK Government has decided that young people, and I include school children of all ages, can return to education because they don't get affected as badly as older people.

What the UK Government neglected to consider was the fact that they can still carry the virus and will at some stage cross paths with someone who is older and therefore more vulnerable which led to.....

Now the UK is in lockdown and there is potentially a sign that we may have some very small scale community transmission going on here. So, sensibly (as like it or not, students are walking petrie dishes), Howie and his gang have decided to be uber cautious to protect the community here.

We all know that education is important but the UK Government walked straight into this when it was plainly obvious what would happen when you bring together large numbers of young people and place them in student halls...  

The Manx Government accepted the importance of education as well and following the UK Governments lead allowed the students to depart.  Their return was always likely to be a bone of contention and one that the Manx Government should have seen coming. 

Let's be absolutely real here - if you have some returning student living at home with you - are you really going to make them keep their distance? Are you going to deep clean the bathroom after they use it and before the rest of the family use it? Are you going to prepare and cook food separately? Are you going to guarantee you don't touch stair bannisters that they may have? Of course not. Wake up.

Don't just single out students here.  If you had anyone at your home with symptoms how likely is it that you would enforce all the rules? If people had then you would not have the community spread...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Does it start on Thursday? He said, ' At one minute past midnight on Thursday.' So is that Thursday, or Friday morning? It's ambiguous. There are much clearer ways of indicating when the rules change.

That was clarified in an all government staff email - it’s 00:01 on Thursday 19th November, ie just after midnight Wednesday (or what most people would think of as midnight Wednesday - I suspect the exact point of midnight is neither Wednesday or Thursday, hence the 00:01 timing)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, wrighty said:

That was clarified in an all government staff email - it’s 00:01 on Thursday 19th November, ie just after midnight Wednesday (or what most people would think of as midnight Wednesday - I suspect the exact point of midnight is neither Wednesday or Thursday, hence the 00:01 timing)

Thanks

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Don't just single out students here.  If you had anyone at your home with symptoms how likely is it that you would enforce all the rules? If people had then you would not have the community spread...

Yes let's stop humans being humans. Let's stop all interaction and turn us all into automatons. Give it a rest.  

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

So, whilst it is a ball ache, you are going to get a £500 handout from the taxpayer to soften the blow.  Yes, its not nice. Granted, it would have been fair and lovely to have been given more notice. But do you know what? WE ARE LIVING IN A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. SO, DON'T WHINE. JUST BE GRACIOUS AND ACCEPT ITS NOT GREAT, BUT ITS LIFE.

They are getting on with it. The news story doesn't have anyone saying "this is ridiculous I'm not doing it". It's just full of students saying "this will be hard", and "it would've been nice if the Government could've given more notice" and "I'm worried about the impact".

You've invented a narrative to get upset about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Yes let's stop humans being humans. Let's stop all interaction and turn us all into automatons. Give it a rest.  

FFS....

I am pointing out exactly that!  Humans are humans and no-one has stuck to the rules 100% for a whole variety of reasons.

The point I was making is that students should not be singled out as "petri dishes" when they are not the only ones who might bend the rules.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

FFS....

I am pointing out exactly that!  Humans are humans and no-one has stuck to the rules 100% for a whole variety of reasons.

The point I was making is that students should not be singled out as "petri dishes" when they are not the only ones who might bend the rules.

Apologies. My mistake then.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Let's be absolutely real here - if you have some returning student living at home with you - are you really going to make them keep their distance? Are you going to deep clean the bathroom after they use it and before the rest of the family use it? Are you going to prepare and cook food separately? Are you going to guarantee you don't touch stair bannisters that they may have? Of course not. Wake up.

Having returned, as a PhD student, just before the borders closed the first time, we did exactly that. I didn't even see my family for the entirety of the self isolation period, bar through the window when I was in the garden once or twice. We'd cordoned off a bathroom, so I had two rooms I could go between and that was it. Food was delivered to the door, a knock, wait a minute and then I'd return to my hovel. Anything I touched was wiped down by me with cleaning spray and the same would be done again when I'd gone back in.

So don't assume that people won't stick to it, the students have enough sense to appreciate what we have here, and won't jeopardize that in a hurry. Many are instead self isolating as groups of friends in guest houses etc. anyway.

Sure, there will be one or two who don't do that, but that's no different to any of the rumours of people jumping in bed with their beloved first night back.

7 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

WE ARE LIVING IN A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. SO, DON'T WHINE. JUST BE GRACIOUS AND ACCEPT ITS NOT GREAT, BUT ITS LIFE.

I'm sure all the parents of students who can't work from home and can't afford two weeks off will just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and that'll sort everything right out...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Having returned, as a PhD student, just before the borders closed the first time, we did exactly that. I didn't even see my family for the entirety of the self isolation period, bar through the window when I was in the garden once or twice. We'd cordoned off a bathroom, so I had two rooms I could go between and that was it. Food was delivered to the door, a knock, wait a minute and then I'd return to my hovel. Anything I touched was wiped down by me with cleaning spray and the same would be done again when I'd gone back in.

So don't assume that people won't stick to it, the students have enough sense to appreciate what we have here, and won't jeopardize that in a hurry. Many are instead self isolating as groups of friends in guest houses etc. anyway.

Sure, there will be one or two who don't do that, but that's no different to any of the rumours of people jumping in bed with their beloved first night back.

I'm sure all the parents of students who can't work from home and can't afford two weeks off will just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and that'll sort everything right out...

We have done similar isolation twice, for 2 family members. Our neighbours did likewise.

11 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Does it start on Thursday? He said, ' At one minute past midnight on Thursday.' So is that Thursday, or Friday morning? It's ambiguous. There are much clearer ways of indicating when the rules change.

One minute after midnight ON THURSDAY is the key.

No ambiguity. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cambon said:

One minute after midnight ON THURSDAY is the key.

No ambiguity. 

It was precisely because of the ambiguity that an email had to be sent to all government departments expressing the information in a clearer form. One minute past midnight on Thursday morning would have done it. Obviously you subscribe to the government view that, as Humpty Dumpty asserted, 'Words mean what I say they mean.'

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

They are getting on with it. The news story doesn't have anyone saying "this is ridiculous I'm not doing it". It's just full of students saying "this will be hard", and "it would've been nice if the Government could've given more notice" and "I'm worried about the impact".

You've invented a narrative to get upset about.

Duh ! No one would publicly say “ this is ridiculous I’m not going to do it”. This would invite extra scrutiny and observation on anyone who did.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, manxman1980 said:

What the UK Government neglected to consider was the fact that they can still carry the virus and will at some stage cross paths with someone who is older and therefore more vulnerable

Or maybe that was the intention.

• Like 1