Snowflake Students

8 hours ago, Lagman said:

Or maybe that was the intention.

Are you suggesting that the Tory Government deliberately set out on a path that would lead to many of its key voters falling ill and potentially dying?  The Tories are reliant on older voters so if anything they probably hoped to get rid of "liberal" students by having them all in one place.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it’s outrageous only allowing students having names beginning with ‘J’ to come home. It’s disgustingly letterist.

Demonising young people is not big nor clever. In fact it’s incredibly irresponsible.

Should be relatively easy ... having a teenage daughter in the house its like the house is haunted........ every so often you see a presence in the room, you hear some moaning, and then a door sl

17 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Are you suggesting that the Tory Government deliberately set out on a path that would lead to many of its key voters falling ill and potentially dying?  The Tories are reliant on older voters so if anything they probably hoped to get rid of "liberal" students by having them all in one place.

Saves on pensions and care bill!!

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

The Tories haven't been 'conservative' for a long time. There is no real difference between all the parties now Corbyn disappeared stage left. Also the Johnson family have been very vocal about the increasing population issue.

Predominantly middle-class students going to get a shock when find out self-isolation providers in IoM, in main is in bedsit complexes. Dumping COVID risk into properties of multiple occupancy, where social distancing is difficult to achieve.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

Predominantly middle-class students going to get a shock when find out self-isolation providers in IoM, in main is in bedsit complexes. Dumping COVID risk into properties of multiple occupancy, where social distancing is difficult to achieve.

Do you delete random words from your posts? If so, try deleting more

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, manxman34 said:

Do you delete random words from your posts? If so, try deleting more

I do not delete or modify text after posting in any material way (only typos, grammar, clarity and/or layout). Will reply to some previous education posts and thought tone used in some was rash (used term "bung") which regret looking back but did not edit and was true to how I felt at time.

With point on self-isolation the net effect of offering 250 GBP a week, has coerced (for want of better word) poor people to take risk for benefit of rich people (in main middle class parents and students). Other behaviors and state policies can exhibit similar outcomes such as poor people (on benefits) smoking and rich people (with capital) investing in cigarette companies. I know this intra-class transfer of risk was not intended by policy but it appears to be net result. COMIS and similar, I imagine would be interested in block booking of self-isolation customers but I imagine figure which interests them would be 50-100 rooms at 500GBP week. MHKs decided this was not appropriate use of tax payers money and hence we got bedsit land spread over all island for self isolation. If you (or any one else) can help me (and/or others) understand what dynamics are then I thank you in advance of your reply. If find my posts annoying just block me.

Regarding most students coming from middle class backgrounds this is not my view, it just matter of noting the data on this subject which is readily available (at least in UK). Not just from people like Sutton Trust who have an agenda but from UK government who are just trying to make sensible policy decisions. Individuals have requested DoE in IoM to release destination data for IoM students but the refuse with justification that do not hold this data even though they are paying tuition fees for students.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

I do not delete or modify text after posting in any material way (only typos, grammar, clarity and/or layout). Will reply to some previous education posts and thought tone used in some was rash (used term "bung") which regret looking back but did not edit and was true to how I felt at time.

With point on self-isolation the net effect of offering 250 GBP a week, has coerced (for want of better word) poor people to take risk for benefit of rich people (in main middle class parents and students). Other behaviors and state policies can exhibit similar outcomes such as poor people (on benefits) smoking and rich people (with capital) investing in cigarette companies. I know this intra-class transfer of risk was not intended by policy but it appears to be net result. COMIS and similar, I imagine would be interested in block booking of self-isolation customers but I imagine figure which interests them would be 50-100 rooms at 500GBP week. MHKs decided this was not appropriate use of tax payers money and hence we got bedsit land spread over all island for self isolation. If you (or any one else) can help me (and/or others) understand what dynamics are then I thank you in advance of your reply. If find my posts annoying just block me.

Regarding most students coming from middle class backgrounds this is not my view, it just matter of noting the data on this subject which is readily available (at least in UK). Not just from people like Sutton Trust who have an agenda but from UK government who are just trying to make sensible policy decisions. Individuals have requested DoE in IoM to release destination data for IoM students but the refuse with justification that do not hold this data even though they are paying tuition fees for students.....

Why should the DoE release destination data for students?

On 11/20/2020 at 11:56 AM, BenFairfax said:

I don’t mean to be rude, but you do have a way of writing that is, well, different.  Maybe English isn’t your first language.  I also wondered if you double disguised yourself (anonymous member and the writing style) to make sure that no one guessed who you were.  Just idle musing!

• Like 2
On 11/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, Lxxx said:

The Tories haven't been 'conservative' for a long time.

Today the Conservative Party has become much more 'conservative' in a grim American sense. It seems increasingly dominated by bombastic grifters and to be losing touch with the established liberal tradition. 

The Conservative Party was born out of a great liberal democratic establishment tradition. The party has common roots with the Liberal Party - Churchill was a Liberal Party MP for much of his political career. He called himself a liberal and claimed to hate "tories". As with Europe today, the various factions had torn themselves apart before finally accepting liberal free trade and the liberal consensus.

Today the Conservative Party often begins to seem to resemble the DUP.

Edited by pongo
On 11/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, Boo Gay'n said:

I don’t mean to be rude, but you do have a way of writing that is, well, different.  Maybe English isn’t your first language.  I also wondered if you double disguised yourself (anonymous member and the writing style) to make sure that no one guessed who you were.  Just idle musing!

English is my only language, and I only have one login, which dates to 2007. I used to post on quant finance site Wilmott.com (as DrBen) but not recently much. Anyway, after posting for several years it was great to meet up with these folk in person from time to time, and had a real rapport with many of the regular posters. With this forum or others I have no interest in pretending to be someone else, manipulate people, insulting people, etc..... Life just too short and as in meat world I would just say things as I see them, and treat people as I would if I meet them face to face. With such sites as this, you get to exchange views with people who normally you would not cross paths with.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, Lxxx said:

Why should the DoE release destination data for students?

Bottom line is come's down to philosophical position of purpose of education and what is its purpose and for whom. My position is roughly 'The New Rights View of Education' (other main schools of thought are Marxist view and Functionist view), and apply this here likely to upset some school teachers but I see this as least bad choice and it implies National Curriculum, SATS, and OFSTED; besides desire for transparency to allow marketisation and parentocracy. Destination data, like GCSE, A-Level results allow kids to make informed choices. I just think typical kid from a typical family should get a fair roll of the dice, and should not be outgunned by parents who can load the entire system in their favour. Think society should have grown up discussion about social mobility and face reality (be it good, bad or otherwise).

[Was going to put more explicit details here, but think best not too, but can see some Universities for yourself for example Oxford. Just compare with Jersey, Guernsey and implied number quid pro quo with UK. As David Watts said's parents/students can draw their own views but they deserve to have the data.]  

• Thanks 1
On 11/16/2020 at 7:10 AM, Manx Bean said:

They should be bloody grateful they can come home for Christmas at all!!

Why should anybody be "grateful" for their rights not being infringed?

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 13:

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

17 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

Bottom line is come's down to philosophical position of purpose of education and what is its purpose and for whom. My position is roughly 'The New Rights View of Education' (other main schools of thought are Marxist view and Functionist view), and apply this here likely to upset some school teachers but I see this as least bad choice and it implies National Curriculum, SATS, and OFSTED; besides desire for transparency to allow marketisation and parentocracy. Destination data, like GCSE, A-Level results allow kids to make informed choices. I just think typical kid from a typical family should get a fair roll of the dice, and should not be outgunned by parents who can load the entire system in their favour. Think society should have grown up discussion about social mobility and face reality (be it good, bad or otherwise).

[Was going to put more explicit details here, but think best not too, but can see some Universities for yourself for example Oxford. Just compare with Jersey, Guernsey and implied number quid pro quo with UK. As David Watts said's parents/students can draw their own views but they deserve to have the data.]  

Having had one of my boys falling foul of the Oxford admissions system, (his background apparently wasn't establishment enough and as a family we had no privileged connections, neither was he a sports person). His five a* were of no concern but it did enable him to go elsewhere, end up with a doctorate in computer science and build his own business in San Francisco. Maybe it was his Steiner School background, whatever it was, the only favour the establishment did for him was to reject him.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Satoshi Nakamoto said:

Why should anybody be "grateful" for their rights not being infringed?

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 13:

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

Idiot.