Attack of the telegraph poles

Looks like people are getting upset about the notion of telegraph poles going up.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59017&headline=Fibre+internet+poles+are+a+backwards+step&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

I imagine they're the same people complaining that their internet is too slow or too expensive. The costs of sticking a few poles up pales in comparison to digging all the streets up, then they'd have to pay for their driveway to be dug up too, which I'm sure they'd be overjoyed at too.

Never mind the signal issues mobile phone companies have over here, as soon as you suggest an extra mast, someone asks if you'll think of the children, before they grumble about their 4G again.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that's what happens when you privatise public services. Manx Telecom have spent the last 40 years making millions in profits from running a monopoly on the previous infrastructure that was paid f

I agree with Mr Pacey.  It's an outrage in such an area of outstanding natural beauty and historic architectural significance as a bungalow estate in Colby. 

Hence the objections. They'd be absolutely fine with it if it were Windows XP, everyone wants that coursing through their veins. Still, they should just be glad it's not Vista.

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I imagine they're the same people complaining that their internet is too slow or too expensive. The costs of sticking a few poles up pales in comparison to digging all the streets up, then they'd have to pay for their driveway to be dug up too, which I'm sure they'd be overjoyed at too.

Well quite. 

Don't you know they bring down the aspect of a 70's pebble dashed dormer bungalow estate?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, war baby said:

I agree with Mr Pacey.  It's an outrage in such an area of outstanding natural beauty and historic architectural significance as a bungalow estate in Colby. :angry:

Class.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, WTF said:

when skynet comes out next year poles will be redundant.

Poles are fantastic workers whatever they build. I need a new kitchen.....

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

To be fair, whacking up poles instead of underground is a bit...well...3rd world in my opinion.

which is why it is happening here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

To be fair, whacking up poles instead of underground is a bit...well...3rd world in my 

Well that's what happens when you privatise public services. Manx Telecom have spent the last 40 years making millions in profits from running a monopoly on the previous infrastructure that was paid for by the taxpayer. 

Now it needs replacing, despite them making millions in profits every year, the taxpayer again has to pay them millions to replace it. Not only that, they've given them a few more million to do the same job a little bit quicker. 

So don't be expecting a good job doing,  they're on the lump, they'll lash it in as cheaply as possible and spend the next 40 years raping it for every penny they can. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The Colby Complainers would be even more vociferous if access to their little boxes was impeded by MT having to excavate and dig up their estate roads to install cables.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

The poles are just giant syringes ready to install Windows 95 into our bloodstream with Bill's nano 5G microchips.

Hence the objections. They'd be absolutely fine with it if it were Windows XP, everyone wants that coursing through their veins.

Still, they should just be glad it's not Vista.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2