Attack of the telegraph poles

They seem to be missing the point. There is an underground network but there is no viable underground feed to their properties.

Putting the new network underground means that everyone on the estate would need to create a link into the underground network at their own expense.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that's what happens when you privatise public services. Manx Telecom have spent the last 40 years making millions in profits from running a monopoly on the previous infrastructure that was paid f

I agree with Mr Pacey.  It's an outrage in such an area of outstanding natural beauty and historic architectural significance as a bungalow estate in Colby. 

Hence the objections. They'd be absolutely fine with it if it were Windows XP, everyone wants that coursing through their veins. Still, they should just be glad it's not Vista.

8 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

They seem to be missing the point. There is an underground network but there is no viable underground feed to their properties.

Putting the new network underground means that everyone on the estate would need to create a link into the underground network at their own expense.

MT have already been paid £10 million  plus another £1.4 million to do this. 

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

There is an underground network but there is no viable underground feed to their properties.

My house was built in the early 1970s (I think). The existing  phone landline was in an approx 1 inch diameter duct ending in the garage. When fibre was put in a few months ago, the engineers simply pulled out the copper wires and then pulled in the fibre - from wherever the fibre connector box is situated.

21 hours ago, Chris C said:

Well that's what happens when you privatise public services. Manx Telecom have spent the last 40 years making millions in profits from running a monopoly on the previous infrastructure that was paid for by the taxpayer.

Despite this being the IOM, we've got Mrs Thatcher to thank for that. Thanks Mrs Thatcher. That state run GPO telephone "service" was utterly awful.

Also - how weird, with hindsight, that it should ever have been run by the state.

Poles make really good sense as a way of getting it out to everyone as quickly as possible.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, pongo said:

Despite this being the IOM, we've got Mrs Thatcher to thank for that. Thanks Mrs Thatcher. That state run GPO telephone "service" was utterly awful.

Also - how weird, with hindsight, that it should ever have been run by the state.

Poles make really good sense as a way of getting it out to everyone as quickly as possible.

Indeed. That state run telephone service was awful,  it has that in common with what we have now.

Why weird,  many communications companies are still state run.

Poles make really good sense as a way of getting it out to everyone as profitably as possible - that's the first and only consideration here.

As much as I understand the reasons behind using telegraph poles rather than digging up roads/pavements, I do wonder how much planning goes into the placing a telegraph pole, does it go through planning permission?

I can see how telegraph poles in some estates, where every inch of space was used during development could well be an issue, particularly on the edge of driveways where the pavement is used to swing off/on the driveway.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

I assume this is something I can take up with my local commissioners? 

Good luck with that. I am still waiting for an issue raised 3 years ago to be dealt with. They will blame government.