'Not enough time' to scrutinise EU changes

Manx Radio report

I once went into the public gallery of the House of Keys. I was there for a reason as some legislation was to be voted on. I had approached a couple of MHKs as I was concerned that some dodgy legislation could get passed. I did my homework and spent some time with my MHKs. In the House of Keys sitting, they raised mine and their concerns. It made not a jot of difference, but they tried. Every single clause of that legislation was voted through, almost on the nod.

There was another particular MHK (actually 2 or 3 or more) who said not a word but voted 'aye' for every single clause. During the interval, one of my MHks spoke to me and pointed out a number of unopened A4 envelopes on some desks. They were, he explained, the MHKs' copies of the legislation. Not only not read, but not even opened.

It looks like Lawrie Hooper MHK is doing the job he is paid to do. We can't have that now, can we? He's not going to get very far unless he learns to not question stuff, stfu and waves a grubby paw in agreement with everything the Council of Ministers do, like most of the rest of them.

Edited by Barlow
Misplaced apostrophe
  • Like 3

This is the normal behaviour of the CS toward MHKs both in the house and in committees. Lots of information and as little time as possible to absorb it. Then its the politicians fault when it all goes wrong, as it frequently does!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Barlow said:

Manx Radio report

I once went into the public gallery of the House of Keys. I was there for a reason as some legislation was to be voted on. I had approached a couple of MHKs as I was concerned that some dodgy legislation could get passed. I did my homework and spent some time with my MHKs. In the House of Keys sitting, they raised mine and their concerns. It made not a jot of difference, but they tried. Every single clause of that legislation was voted through, almost on the nod.

There was another particular MHK (actually 2 or 3 or more) who said not a word but voted 'aye' for every single clause. During the interval, one of my MHks spoke to me and pointed out a number of unopened A4 envelopes on some desks. They were, he explained, the MHKs' copies of the legislation. Not only not read, but not even opened.

It looks like Lawrie Hooper MHK is doing the job he is paid to do. We can't have that now, can we? He's not going to get very far unless he learns to not question stuff, stfu and waves a grubby paw in agreement with everything the Council of Ministers do, like most of the rest of them.

What colour were the unopened A4 envelopes LOL !!!!

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

What colour were the unopened A4 envelopes LOL !!!!

I wanted to use the phrase but the connotations, although relevant, would be distracting.

To be fair, I believe some open them, but on the day and ask "what are we being asked to look at today". They literally read each clause for the first time and vote there and then.

Now if they were the sharpest legal minds in the land, at a push that might just be acceptable but only for the most rudimentary legislation.

Edited by Barlow
3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I wanted to use the phrase but the connotations, although relevant, would be distracting.

To be fair, I believe some open them, but on the day and ask "what are we being asked to look at today". They literally read the papers for the first time and vote there and then.

Now if they were the sharpest legal minds in the land, at a push that might just be acceptable but only for the most rudimentary legislation.

Probably why Michael Moyle never got a look in as an MLC !

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Max Power said:

This is the normal behaviour of the CS toward MHKs both in the house and in committees. Lots of information and as little time as possible to absorb it. Then its the politicians fault when it all goes wrong, as it frequently does!

You must be joking surely?

Is there some dark, illuminati, military-industrial complex force at the heart of the civil service which tries to trip up the poor, valiant Spartans who sit on the comfy seats in the Tynwald chamber?

I accept that Hooper is probably right on this occasion about the amount of time available for reading the paperwork, although many members probably can’t understand the big, grown-up words when they try to read it (and see Barlow’s comments earlier).

Tynwald members are vain, egotistical, ‘do you know who I am’ types who want the salary and kudos (such that it is) without having to do any work.  It isn’t for the civil servants to mash up their rusks in warm milk.  The decision to put papers like this to Keys or Tynwald is made by COMIN in any case, isn’t it, not the civil service?

I’m not trying to defend a pretty incompetent civil service by the way, just disagreeing with your position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1