http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59177&headline=Claims bike racks were trialled but weren't deemed safe&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Transport

Some time ago I heard that they were thinking of bolting bike racks onto the front of the buses. That seemed to me to be unsafe - pedestrians getting hit and arms, legs, getting tangled up with bits of metalwork and so on.

This document is definitely relevant:

https://trl.co.uk/uploads/trl/documents/TRL592.pdf

And it states what you would expect - in a collision with a pedestrian, bike handlebars going through children's heads etc.

But it was only published a mere 16 years ago. How could a transport expert like Longworth be expected to know about this kind of stuff?

Or maybe they did know about it, but just didn't care - and the newspaper report doesn't say why they got binned.

Edited by Two-lane

It would be nice to have. I can't physically cycle to Douglas but there are times it would be nice bring the bike in and cycle around Douglas.  I can't see it being something I would do often or it being something the lycra crowd would need so whether it could ever be cost-effective is dubious.

From a safety point of view. Why buy a load in to test? Couldn't the workshop have knocked up a prototype and tried it on one bus?

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

It would be nice to have. I can't physically cycle to Douglas but there are times it would be nice bring the bike in and cycle around Douglas.  I can't see it being something I would do often or it being something the lycra crowd would need so whether it could ever be cost-effective is dubious.

From a safety point of view. Why buy a load in to test? Couldn't the workshop have knocked up a prototype and tried it on one bus?

They only bought three and despite the fact they are not suitable or safe, the bought ones must have had to pass some standard or other, like construction and use. BV would not be allowed to just knock one up and use.