Just 28% satisfied with condition of Manx roads

2 hours ago, forestboy said:

They had a wagon with machine on the Silverburn Estate a week or two ago working on potholes using some sort of bitumen and chippings.  Chippings have now all worked out and potholes returned.  Complete waste of money.  Even had a road sweeper clearing the chippings last week  

Exactly the same happened in Ballaterson Lane. The, 'repair', lasted about 4 weeks!

• Like 2
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other week the number plate recognition vehicle was scanning vehicles driving along Bowring Road in Ramsey. They parked  their vehicle at the entrance to a little lane between   Vellikas and

The only decent road we have is the sloc and Phil the gawne lost his job over it. I personally can't blame them for being a bit reluctant to fix any others. 

Hi Frank.  Just wondering if you had a website or anything?

Posted Images

On my local road we had potholes for weeks that were quite dangerous for motorcyclists, in particular. Eventually these were repaired with some kind of bitumen infill with loose, marble shaped gravel on top. The complete lack of any grip afforded by this repair led my motorcycle and I sliding across the road into the path of an oncoming vehicle. A collision was avoided only by the actions of myself and the other driver. Needless to say, my feelings of satisfaction were at a low ebb. I would have enjoyed contributing to the survey.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Banker said:

Not seen this before but looks like electric vehicles owners will be charged a reasonable rate to charge up at government owned points 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-55062097?fbclid=IwAR3BHOruiuSmzGCnzG9V09qIU9IcF6PokUA2kDORE8k1OKOP4cRu77sO8P8

As long as taxpayers are not subsidizing them while  still paying massive amounts of tax for petrol etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

MR News now reports that no fewer than 449 local vehicles were identified by ANPR as having expired/no road tax in 2020; cases are being dealt with now states Mr Baker, who is in favour of stronger penalties.

That seems like a lot of tax evaders, what percentage is that of the vehicles on the Island, does anybody know? And are the rates of duty a contributing factor?

Edited by Non-Believer
correction
22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

MR News now reports that no fewer than 449 local vehicles were identified by ANPR as having expired/no road tax in 2020; cases are being dealt with now states Mr Baker, who is in favour of stronger penalties.

That seems like a lot of tax evaders, what percentage is that of the vehicles on the Island, does anybody know? And are the rates of duty a contributing factor?

That’s the tip of the iceberg

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

MR News now reports that no fewer than 449 local vehicles were identified by ANPR as having expired/no road tax in 2020; cases are being dealt with now states Mr Baker.

The latest figures I could find are for 2018-19 for which the Isle of Man in Numbers shows about 80,000 vehicles registered (actually 79,615):

image.png.d971c68001a6caebeefe41e332736657.png

The extraordinary thing is that this was a third higher than the previous year and the highest number since 2010-11 where I think there may have been a lot of old registrations on the system.  Now I don't think the population of the Island increased that much in a year and not even Longworth would buy 20,000 new minibuses, so there's obviously something odd going on with the data collection or recording.  Explained no doubt by those three little letters DoI.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The state of some of the cars over here is astounding.

I've seen a Corsa knocking about with most of the wing rusted away, it was an early 2000s one  and you could have easily put your hand in the hole. There's a camper with plywood for windows and what sounds like a lack of exhaust that knocks about too.

By comparison, pottering about in something presentable that happens not to be taxed is probably far too easy to get away with, especially if you're not going over the Mountain or around Douglas.

13 minutes ago, The Chief said:

those numbers are horseshit, there's 80,000 vehicles in Douglas alone, my eastern european neighbours have got 6 BMW's between 3 adults, and the number of abandoned (sorry parked) vehicles in my area would easily dispute that figure. 

If they are not taxed, then report them. It takes 2 minutes.

https://apps.esriuk.com/app/questionwhere/54/view/6dcbfe9247e94d14b93023c423175457/index.html

The DoI people who follow these notifications up are pretty good. In my experience, if the vehicles are genuinely abandoned, they will put a notice on it, within days, and have it removed and scrapped within a further 2/3 weeks.  

• Thanks 1

The other week the number plate recognition vehicle was scanning vehicles driving along Bowring Road in Ramsey.

They parked  their vehicle at the entrance to a little lane between   Vellikas and the IM8 car place.

Whilst they were there, If they had turned their scanner towards the vehicle  they had positioned themselves  alongside, a black Alpha Romeo Spider  which has stood there for a long time, 

( Reg. No  FMN 935D ) 

-  they might have discovered that  its tax expired 31/10/ 2014 

It is still there...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

The other week the number plate recognition vehicle was scanning vehicles driving along Bowring Road in Ramsey.

They parked  their vehicle at the entrance to a little lane between   Vellikas and the IM8 car place.

Whilst they were there, If they had turned their scanner towards the vehicle  they had positioned themselves  alongside, a black Alpha Romeo Spider  which has stood there for a long time, 

( Reg. No  FMN 935D ) 

It is still there...

Report it to DOI who will investigate if abandoned as Nellie says and get it shifted or taxed.

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And that was only in Port e Chee Avenue

2 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

( Reg. No  FMN 935D ) 

It is still there...

Is that little lane (I know where you mean) actually an adopted public highway though? If it's not and the vehicle isn't being used on an adopted public highway, isn't a total wreck and has an accountable owner then it may not be committing any offence that the DOI can act on, the same as though it were parked on private land or the drive of a house.

It may have to fall under any relevant LA by-law for any action to be taken.