Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Vaccine- who will have it?

Been speaking to a few friends, colleagues & neighbors and there seems very mixed opinions on who will have vaccine. Some including medical staff from Nobles say they won’t have it as not checked thoroughly and others who say certainly.

I am in the under 60 not high risk groups but will definitely have when my turn, any views?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was quite revealing when at one of the briefings last week he spent quite a while explaining how the IOM's clinicians had debated whether to extend the period between doses, and it was a consensus

Who is talking about setting up in a cowshed?  There are plenty of nice, warm venues large enough to do this on the IOM without OTT adaptations.  

Timeout. You were given a gentle hint earlier. 

Posted Images

It's not for me, however,  if a requirement for travel purposes, then yes of course.

I'd like Mr. Quayle & Mr. Ashford to enlighten us on who will be vaccinated initially and what are the implications for on / off travel to the Island.

I mean, we now know from scientific and medical data that those over 65 are the most susceptible to developing life endangering symptoms & the risk to those below that age is negligible, ergo ... if we were to vaccinate all those over 65 the risk posed to Manx society and the NHS would be nullified.

The rest of us by rights should then be able to travel freely.

• Like 3

I fear we will be forced to in order to travel (electronic medical passports etc) but if it was up to myself I would not take it. At less than a 1% mortality risk I’d be more inclined to take a vaccine for cancer if there was one as statistically I’ll be much more likely to get that quite honestly than to die of COVID 19.

7 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I mean, we now know from scientific and medical data that those over 65 are the most susceptible to developing life endangering symptoms & the risk to those below that age is negligible, ergo ... if we were to vaccinate all those over 65 the risk posed to Manx society and the NHS would be nullified.

Your regular reminder that half of those who are in ICUs being treated for Covid-19 are under the age of 62 (see p 16) in the second wave (slightly higher that in the first wave when it was 60).  Vaccinating the elderly (especially the very elderly) is the most efficient way of using the vaccines, but it is not enough.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Banker said:

Been speaking to a few friends, colleagues & neighbors and there seems very mixed opinions on who will have vaccine. Some including medical staff from Nobles say they won’t have it as not checked thoroughly and others who say certainly.

I am in the under 60 not high risk groups but will definitely have when my turn, any views?

How can it be ‘not checked thoroughly’? It is a licensed medicine. It had to go through the same scrutiny as any other vaccine- they just put a lot more effort into it!

during the Falklands War, an air refueling solution was engineered for the Nimrod in under a fortnight. In peacetime that would have taken 2-3 years

necessity is the mother of all invention.

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 8
Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Your regular reminder that half of those who are in ICUs being treated for Covid-19 are under the age of 62 (see p 16) in the second wave (slightly higher that in the first wave when it was 60).  Vaccinating the elderly (especially the very elderly) is the most efficient way of using the vaccines, but it is not enough.

Roger,

We should be about striking a balance, finding a (I use the word loosely - happy) medium. What percentage of people under the age of 65 die in the UK?

There simply has to be a compromise I'm afraid at some stage.

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

"The majority of deaths involving COVID-19 have been among people aged 65 years and over (54,698 out of 61,136)."

Taken from the ONS website just now.

90% of all Covid deaths within the United Kingdom were aged over 65.

Vaccinate that age group and we are good to go go baby.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Banker said:

It is being checked thoroughly, nobody is skipping any steps.

Vaccines usually take years because there are a lot of dead periods where paperwork is sat in in trays, funding is being negotiated etc. In this case, everybody is chomping at the bit so things are being processed in a more timely fashion, without being rushed.

I'll be having it when it's available.

• Like 5

How many over 65's do we have on the Isle of Man? I'm going to hazard a guess - 15 to 20k.

About two weeks work to vaccinate them all.

All on HQ & DA now to get the drugs here and set to work. 

The TT is saved (albeit revised dates in August) & life can finally move on.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, All Right said:

I fear we will be forced to in order to travel (electronic medical passports etc) but if it was up to myself I would not take it. At less than a 1% mortality risk I’d be more inclined to take a vaccine for cancer if there was one as statistically I’ll be much more likely to get that quite honestly than to die of COVID 19.

I think the crux is that despite the odds of it killing you being low, it can make you quite unpleasantly ill for some time.