Jump to content

Vaccine- who will have it?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was quite revealing when at one of the briefings last week he spent quite a while explaining how the IOM's clinicians had debated whether to extend the period between doses, and it was a consensus

Who is talking about setting up in a cowshed?  There are plenty of nice, warm venues large enough to do this on the IOM without OTT adaptations.  

Timeout. You were given a gentle hint earlier. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Ashford says the cost of the airport "vaccination hub" will be released and "won't be a secret". He didn't say when though.

He can feck off if he thinks I'm waiting 10 years for that release...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Interesting that he says he thinks the one dose strategy followed by the UK is the right way to go, at least for the AZ vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newbie said:

Interesting that he says he thinks the one dose strategy followed by the UK is the right way to go, at least for the AZ vaccine.

Indeed. Oxford/AZ have said that there is a 'sweet spot' for administering the second dose between eight and twelve weeks. This may explain why the half dose/full dose regimen showed greater efficacy as this sub group had their doses administered at a greater interval.

 

As this is the case, I'm unsure why they haven't changed the recommended dosing schedule with the regulators.

 

Prof Wei Shen Lim, the chair of the Covid-19 immunisation group of the JCVI, told MPs further analysis by AstraZeneca showed the improved protection came from spacing out the doses.

“People who had the half dose then full dose were those who were vaccinated at a longer time interval, roughly six to 12 weeks, and what they’ve seen in their data is that people who have the second dose later probably have a three times higher antibody level than those who were vaccinated earlier. So if anything, it suggests that increasing the dose interval is beneficial,” he said.

Sir Mene Pangalos, the executive vice-president of biopharmaceuticals research and development at AstraZeneca, told the committee the first vaccine shot was more protective over time.

“What we’re seeing with our data so far is that as you go to the eight- to 12-week interval, you actually increase vaccine efficacy. People are protected enough with the first dose, to around 70%, but we see that within that eight- to 12-week interval is actually the sweet spot,” he said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Indeed. Oxford/AZ have said that there is a 'sweet spot' for administering the second dose between eight and twelve weeks. This may explain why the half dose/full dose regimen showed greater efficacy as this sub group had their doses administered at a greater interval.

 

As this is the case, I'm unsure why they haven't changed the recommended dosing schedule with the regulators.

 

Prof Wei Shen Lim, the chair of the Covid-19 immunisation group of the JCVI, told MPs further analysis by AstraZeneca showed the improved protection came from spacing out the doses.

“People who had the half dose then full dose were those who were vaccinated at a longer time interval, roughly six to 12 weeks, and what they’ve seen in their data is that people who have the second dose later probably have a three times higher antibody level than those who were vaccinated earlier. So if anything, it suggests that increasing the dose interval is beneficial,” he said.

Sir Mene Pangalos, the executive vice-president of biopharmaceuticals research and development at AstraZeneca, told the committee the first vaccine shot was more protective over time.

“What we’re seeing with our data so far is that as you go to the eight- to 12-week interval, you actually increase vaccine efficacy. People are protected enough with the first dose, to around 70%, but we see that within that eight- to 12-week interval is actually the sweet spot,” he said.

Don’t worry, Ashie has decided our doses!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Banker said:

Don’t worry, Ashie has decided our doses!!

It was quite revealing when at one of the briefings last week he spent quite a while explaining how the IOM's clinicians had debated whether to extend the period between doses, and it was a consensus of opinion that led to the adherence of the 3 or 4 week gap. This despite him, on several occasions, saying that they had a legal obligation to comply with the dosing regime specified in the approval.

He has uttered many other specious comments that don't stand up to scrutiny. He was adamant that the vaccination appointments for the over 80s were not being done in alphabetical order - yet when the 111 operator was speaking  to my parents when they were making their appointment last week, she said they had been done that way.

I struggle to believe anything they say when it comes to technical matters. As Fauci said last week, 'if you don't know the answer, don't guess' - I think our leadership team could do with taking a leaf out of the good doctor's book.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

It was quite revealing when at one of the briefings last week he spent quite a while explaining how the IOM's clinicians had debated whether to extend the period between doses, and it was a consensus of opinion that led to the adherence of the 3 or 4 week gap. This despite him, on several occasions, saying that they had a legal obligation to comply with the dosing regime specified in the approval.

He has uttered many other specious comments too that don't stand up to scrutiny. He was adamant that the vaccination appointments for the over 80s were not being done in alphabetical order - yet when the 111 operator was speaking  to my parents when they were making their appointment last week, she said they had been done that way.

I struggle to believe anything they say when it comes to technical matters. As Fauci said last week, 'if you don't know the answer, don't guess' - I think our leadership team could do with taking a leaf out of the good doctor's book.

Over 80s definitely in alphabetical order as my mum told the same, also no coordination as to where’s best to send them ie Ramsey people to airport, Colby to Douglas.

 He never answered questions as to why so few over 80s were vaccinated in first run of c4000 .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Banker said:

Over 80s definitely in alphabetical order as my mum told the same, also no coordination as to where’s best to send them ie Ramsey people to airport, Colby to Douglas.

 He never answered questions as to why so few over 80s were vaccinated in first run of c4000 .

If you look at the 'phase one cohorts' subsection of the vaccine dashboard that was made available recently https://covid19.gov.im/vacstats, only the over 80s, those resident or working within care homes or those working in healthcare have been vaccinated so far. These people represent  the first two groups of the priority list.

 

From that, I would deduce that there are far more workers in those two groups than over 80s.

 

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 13.22.28.png

Edited by madmanxpilot
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fun website to play about with and they've improved it even since yesterday[1]. But there were 4397 people aged 80+ in the last Census (2106) a number I suspect will only have increased.

But vaccinations for only 121 care home residents and 493 others in this group have currently given (I don't think any will have had their second dose yet).  So it's because they have prioritised staff rather than because there aren't the over-80s to be vaccinated.

 

[1]  Presumably someone pointed out that, fashionable though pastel shades are, white lettering on them isn't exactly readable.  It would nice to get rid of the US date formats though.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Airport hub up and running, but by 11.00am around 30 mins behind schedule and around 50-60 elderly folk constantly outside, in the queue to be allowed into the building. 

Not an auspicious start!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...