Jump to content

Vaccine- who will have it?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well we should hopefully get some answers next week from Tynwald questions that Ashie will have to give detailed responses to  rather than the waffle he gives at press conference.

I wouldn't bank on it but we can live in hope. You never know we might even get some information on Monday at the briefing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was quite revealing when at one of the briefings last week he spent quite a while explaining how the IOM's clinicians had debated whether to extend the period between doses, and it was a consensus

Who is talking about setting up in a cowshed?  There are plenty of nice, warm venues large enough to do this on the IOM without OTT adaptations.  

So it's not a bypass of fact checking that's accelerating this. Usually, vaccine development is a project like any other. Take the Prom for example. You put in an order or request for a bunch of

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Presume all you want.

I don't know what the apparent hold up is, no one does, but if they're booking appointments then they must be confident that they'll be able to carry them out. Imagine the outcry if people had appointments booked for next week and they got cancelled.

It's pretty clear that the prep work wasn't really done fast enough, everything should have been in place a couple of months ago really seeing as everyone knew that once available mass vaccination was going to happen. Fuck knows what the paperwork issues are, just sounds like excuses to me, everything should have been ready, but this is the Isle of Man and it never is. 

But the fact is that you can't just magic the stuff out of thin air, and if they don't have it they can't give it. People keep going on about '6 trays in the freezer' or whatever but it really does make sense to keep a little in reserve, so that the schedule can be kept. The global demand is huge, there are bound to be supply issues, I suspect we'll see more than just the one mentioned by JW earlier as time goes by. A couple of storms in the same week in Feb are always pretty likely too, causing further disruption. And there's always the chance that the UK gov will decide it needs it all, after all it's been reported we're not even paying for it. Drugs for free are pretty rare.

I'm beginning to sound like a defender of the gov, which I'm not and I hate myself for, but I'm sick of the shrieking nonsense about this. People are being ridiculous. 

According to people who have contacted 111 to book appointments, the delay is due to the fact that many of the slots before then are taken up with people having their second injections. At least, that is what they are being told and the timing seems to fit.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but given that this is the situation we are in, a pragmatic approach of giving more first injections and delaying the second injections a bit until the vaccine supply improves seems like a sensible option to me. I guess we will have to agree to disagree 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Newbie said:

According to people who have contacted 111 to book appointments, the delay is due to the fact that many of the slots before then are taken up with people having their second injections. At least, that is what they are being told and the timing seems to fit.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but given that this is the situation we are in, a pragmatic approach of giving more first injections and delaying the second injections a bit until the vaccine supply improves seems like a sensible option to me. I guess we will have to agree to disagree 🙂

My last word honest...

If that is true then fair enough. But why don't they they say this. We were supposed to get a tray a week. 1000 a week. If that's right then we have plenty. If it's not we don't. But we don't know.

Nuff said from me

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I fear the over 80’s not being offered first dose until mid February may be connected with the first dose cohort in weeks one, two and three is getting second dosage in weeks 4, 5 & 6. It ties in.

If so it’s a total abdication of responsibility.

 

Yeah, if that's the case then people have a right to kick off.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Newbie said:

According to people who have contacted 111 to book appointments, the delay is due to the fact that many of the slots before then are taken up with people having their second injections. At least, that is what they are being told and the timing seems to fit.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but given that this is the situation we are in, a pragmatic approach of giving more first injections and delaying the second injections a bit until the vaccine supply improves seems like a sensible option to me. I guess we will have to agree to disagree 🙂

Ashford seemed to be unaware of the over 80's having appointments for mid Feb.  If this is to afford the second doses at  minimal or no increase in dose 1 vaccination's, between now and mid Feb. then the whole process needs revisiting.  They are being reactive when all the infrastructure (Airport & Douglas hub) should have been ready for 1 Jan.  This really highlights the mis management of what should be a relatively straight forward process.  The question needs asking who at the hospital is running this show (not politically but actually hands on calling the shots).

Edited by Hmmmm
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

Ashford seemed to be unaware of the over 80's having appointments for mid Feb.  If this is to afford the second doses at  minimal or no increase in dose 1 vaccination's, between now and mid Feb. then the whole process needs revisiting.  They are being reactive when all the infrastructure (Airport & Douglas hub) should have been ready for 1 Jan.  This really highlights the mis management of what should be a relatively straight forward process.  The question needs asking who at the hospital is running this show (not politically but actually hands on calling the shots).

At a recent media briefing he stated categorically that first and second jabs would happen in parallel ie that first doses would continue at the same pace whilst second jabs were given.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I fear the over 80’s not being offered first dose until mid February may be connected with the first dose cohort in weeks one, two and three is getting second dosage in weeks 4, 5 & 6. It ties in.

If so it’s a total abdication of responsibility.

 

That’s exactly what’s happening, we have vaccinated everyone remotely connected to health including 2 I know who work in offices of charities whose work involves vulnerable adults.

We will have all health care workers fully vaccinated bit none of the most vulnerable fully vaccinated until March.

we are going against what every other country is doing which is vaccinated over80s first .

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

Ashford seemed to be unaware of the over 80's having appointments for mid Feb.  If this is to afford the second doses at  minimal or no increase in dose 1 vaccination's, between now and mid Feb. then the whole process needs revisiting.  They are being reactive when all the infrastructure (Airport & Douglas hub) should have been ready for 1 Jan.  This really highlights the mis management of what should be a relatively straight forward process.  The question needs asking who at the hospital is running this show (not politically but actually hands on calling the shots).

I think he is aware. He didn't know in the last press briefing but he posted it on his FB page afterwards, although in fairness he doesn't give the reason. 

This is from his FB page

Todays press briefing.
At questions I was asked about the time for the over 80's vaccination and people receiving invites for mid February. Unfortunately I didn't have the vaccination schedule with me (unusual for me!!). It is correct that people will be receiving appointments for Mid February. Based on the delivery schedules of the Vaccine to the island and our entitlement as part of the UK's receipt of vaccine it does mean it will take towards the end of February to fully vaccinate the 4,800 people in this category.
It is start of March that the delivery schedule and the Islands entitlement to vaccine ramps up in line with the UK's own receipt of vaccine and we will be on course to have vaccinated all over 50's and those in the vulnerable category by the end of May.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The fact that we have a Vaccination Board that has had a programme for delivery since at least 21/12 and it still hasn’t been published 4 weeks later is not acceptable.

It's not just the schedule though.  We've known that there were vaccines coming available at the end of the year since the Summer.  So there was plenty of time to sort out the legal side of things, work out procedures for care homes and all the rest.  Yet nothing seems to have been done and the lack of preparation is being used as a reason for delays.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Newbie said:

I think he is aware. He didn't know in the last press briefing but he posted it on his FB page afterwards, although in fairness he doesn't give the reason. 

This is from his FB page

Todays press briefing.
At questions I was asked about the time for the over 80's vaccination and people receiving invites for mid February. Unfortunately I didn't have the vaccination schedule with me (unusual for me!!). It is correct that people will be receiving appointments for Mid February. Based on the delivery schedules of the Vaccine to the island and our entitlement as part of the UK's receipt of vaccine it does mean it will take towards the end of February to fully vaccinate the 4,800 people in this category.
It is start of March that the delivery schedule and the Islands entitlement to vaccine ramps up in line with the UK's own receipt of vaccine and we will be on course to have vaccinated all over 50's and those in the vulnerable category by the end of May.

But that is untrue.  If some over-80s are only receiving appointments to have their first jab in mid February (eg the 17th), then they can't be "fully" vaccinated by the end of February because there is a minimum of 21 days between shots.  We've got to the stage where simple maths or the use of a calendar seems beyond these people.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

My last word honest...

If that is true then fair enough. But why don't they they say this. We were supposed to get a tray a week. 1000 a week. If that's right then we have plenty. If it's not we don't. But we don't know.

Nuff said from me

1000 a week for 85,000 people twice will take more than three years!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roger Mexico said:

But that is untrue.  If some over-80s are only receiving appointments to have their first jab in mid February (eg the 17th), then they can't be "fully" vaccinated by the end of February because there is a minimum of 21 days between shots.  We've got to the stage where simple maths or the use of a calendar seems beyond these people.

And as I understand it there are plenty of over 80's who are yet to get a letter, so presumably their first appointment will be late feb at the earliest

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Where did you get the info about batch matching? Are you sure it wasn't one of Mr Ashford's confused unscientific terminology utterances?

B&Q always advise buying rolls of wallpaper from the same batch, so it makes sense:cool:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...