Views sought on teaching ethnic minority history and culture

Max Power

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

Although he, himself, was Irish.

Well, whilst born in Dublin I rather think he’d have considered himself Anglo-Irish which is how he’s generally described. His (original) titles were Irish however, so you’re not incorrect.

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As long as this is not involving the faceless Hardy Commission,  who have still to explain who they are and who gave them their commission, I am fine with it.

But I would add, let's not get too caught up with unravelling the past, but rather face the future with a different, inclusive attitude.  By inclusive, I mean everyone with no faction being given predominance over the other.  Efforts should be towards stopping the pendulum swing rather than pushing it either way. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Uh Oh!, 'ere we go again.

Forget the past, why not start again from now???

Daphne Craine, yes, her again, highlights that ST Thomas' school have advertised theirselves as 'predominantly' Christian school but, but if you are not of a Christian faith, you can still sign up for your kid of any faith up  for a predominately christian education .

Wonderful intergration.

You can sign any grandkids up now gl.................

Very simply, you cannot change the past  but you can shape the future by trying not to reinforce divisions. 

As regards St Thomas's school, rather than rant can you explain what you issue is?  If parents don't want to sign their children up to a "predominantly Christian school" then they don't have to, or am I missing something?

• Like 1

There is the Govts stance of providing a 'predominantly' christian RI education and a Govt financed school advertising itself as a ' Joyously' christian source of such an education without Govt interference or control, no matter if if  you are of the christian faith>

I approach this from an atheist point of view, and you?

2 hours ago, manxy said:

Considering the amount of tension recently with BLM and taking the knee which resulted in booing at a football game, then wouldn't it be more appropriate in leaving this alone?

Yes, crikey, we can't have anything quite so serious as booing at a football game occur now can we.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, manxy said:

Considering the amount of tension recently with BLM and taking the knee which resulted in booing at a football game, then wouldn't it be more appropriate in leaving this alone?

I'm not sure we should form educational policy around the actions of a small segment of Millwall fans (who are at similar level to West Ham and Chelsea fans).

At the same time it doesn't serve much purpose having this sort of thing compulsorily rammed down kids throats.  Perhaps there's a place for it as a GCsE option.