Another one gets caught

It's not so long ago that we had 'queer' baiting over here and high suicide rates. We tread carefully in this area and I want to be sure that we're doing the right thing.

It's anecdotal, but I know a couple with a teenage lad who are worried sick about him. Although he's 18 now, he still has the mental age of a 10 year old. They've had to stop him playing on the street with younger kids. He's never had a girlfriend and is unlikely to get one. He's not done anything but they worry that he might be attacked or accused by people 'with genuine concerns'. There was always a lad like him when I was growing up.

It's not so easy.

• Like 2
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I actually said was that paedophilia was just one of the risks children grow up with.  It's the truth. It's also, compared with other risks, small by comparison. Yes, it's abhorrent but the

These men must be very stupid. If a 12 year-old existed who wanted to trap or seduce an adult  and were devious enough to succeed, they'd pretend to be 20.

I periodically get random friend requests on Facebook from what appear to be attractive young ladies that I have no friends in common with. I delete them. I can see however that if one is lonely and m

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Viddy well said:

Anyway, I shall leave you all to your circle-jerk on this topic and hope that none of you are in positions of authority.

Does that include the Catholic Church. ?

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's not so long ago that we had 'queer' baiting over here and high suicide rates. We tread carefully in this area and I want to be sure that we're doing the right thing.

It's anecdotal, but I know a couple with a teenage lad who are worried sick about him. Although he's 18 now, he still has the mental age of a 10 year old. They've had to stop him playing on the street with younger kids. He's never had a girlfriend and is unlikely to get one. He's not done anything but they worry that he might be attacked or accused by people 'with genuine concerns'. There was always a lad like him when I was growing up.

It's not so easy.

Same here, there was always someone who was "a bit simple" who wanted to play with younger kids, probably because that was their mental age.  Very often, we would be told (nicely) to be careful, "he's a bit big to be playing with you" possibly because their mental maturity was out of step with their physical maturity, but I don't recall any kind of aggression or hatred against them.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Gladys said:

Same here, there was always someone who was "a bit simple" who wanted to play with younger kids, probably because that was their mental age.  Very often, we would be told (nicely) to be careful, "he's a bit big to be playing with you" possibly because their mental maturity was out of step with their physical maturity, but I don't recall any kind of aggression or hatred against them.  

i do, a teachers son at ballakermeen would fall into the 'bit simple' category and he got picked on rotten by the bullies, i often see him around still waving or giving a thumbs up to the world.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I was watching a BbC documentary on abuse in football this week.  Shocking stuff.

It got me wandering about Knotfield.  Does anyone know what is happening over this? The last I saw, the accused was due to stand trial in early 2020 but there seems to have been nothing since? Any ideas?

The child abuse scandal at Haute de la Garenne Children's Home in Jersey all came out in the wash. In true Manx fashion our own children's home scandal has largely been covered up 'managed' with a token inquiry. Only four witnesses were called if I remember, out of the hundreds of staff and residents that were there in the '70s and '80s. David Cretney chaired the inquiry. The truth is still to come out. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I was watching a BbC documentary on abuse in football this week.  Shocking stuff.

It got me wandering about Knotfield.  Does anyone know what is happening over this? The last I saw, the accused was due to stand trial in early 2020 but there seems to have been nothing since? Any ideas?

Trial cancelled due to Covid. Had to be rescheduled. Jury trial dates are booked 6 months ahead. There’s limited trial Deemsters and court accommodation with jury box/retiring room.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

They're hoping everyone involved in dishing out the abuse dies

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Trial cancelled due to Covid. Had to be rescheduled. Jury trial dates are booked 6 months ahead. There’s limited trial Deemsters and court accommodation with jury box/retiring room.

It's disappointing that a system hasn't been put in place to continue with this type of thing.  Meanwhile, justice doesn't get served.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It's disappointing that a system hasn't been put in place to continue with this type of thing.  Meanwhile, justice doesn't get served.

It’s not easy to deal with jury trials via zoom/teams. The risk of people being in the room coaching witnesses or influencing jurors. Deemster, both advocates, defendant,  witnesses, 7 jurors - all in different locations.

There was a recent family protection case hearing  in England where the abuser had wormed his way back into the home of the victim and was sitting in the same room during the hearing making silent threats off camera. Judge became suspicious. Sent police round.

It is possible. But it’s not a normal hearing. I’ve conducted three Tribunal hearings remotely. It’s very hard work. 

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not easy to deal with jury trials via zoom/teams. The risk of people being in the room coaching witnesses or influencing jurors. Deemster, both advocates, defendant,  witnesses, 7 jurors - all in different locations.

There was a recent family protection case hearing  in England where the abuser had wormed his way back into the home of the victim and was sitting in the same room during the hearing making silent threats off camera. Judge became suspicious. Sent police round.

It is possible. But it’s not a normal hearing. I’ve conducted three Tribunal hearings remotely. It’s very hard work. 

I'm not suggesting it should be done by zoom.  It should be done live. As normal.  No reason why testing couldn't be done and people socially distance or separated by screens.  

6 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I'm not suggesting it should be done by zoom.  It should be done live. As normal.  No reason why testing couldn't be done and people socially distance or separated by screens.  

There isn’t a court house large enough to accommodate those type of changes. So it’d be another vaccination centre effort, expense wise. There are also security implications if the defendant is in custody. And the jury retiring/deliberation room would be a pain.

Ive seen video of the English Nightingale courts set up with jury remote, in one room, off site. Judge, advocates and witness in court room. Again it’s problematic. You really don’t get the full impression by AV. You really do look for and use non verbal behaviours to help decide what weight to give to a witness and their evidence.

LAMP isn’t particularly effective and if you’re doing it daily over a 5-10 day trial the chance of a positive would be high. We still don’t have majority verdicts. Abandoned trials are a pain. Part heard adjournments are even worse. I started a 6 day trial on 1 March. Abandoned at 11.00 on 2/3 and dates allocated to either side of Easter. Now put back to August.

I do agree, justice delayed is justice denied.

54 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Lots of complaints about trial delays etc. on this one in particular - slightly related, but i wonder how many of those who complain loudly have tried to dodge jury service at some point in the past...

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Thought that was in Canada, I posted a link to it.  Like I said then, I liked the judge.