Spar prices

LightBulb

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Why not put the price of 20 cigarettes or a small packet of tobacco up to £1000? Price it as an occasional luxury.

It's bonkers people still deliberately breathing particulates into their airways. 

2 hours ago, pongo said:

It would be a really interesting experiment to see how high the price could be pushed. So if people still buy them at £1000 - try £2000.

Well how about making them 40p a packet. Not so cool then is it. I wonder how many people would then realise the worth of tobacco.

ps What a really shit habit/addiction tobacco is.

6 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

Not as shit a habit/addiction as alcohol.

Cool.  Addiction too trumps.

I tend to find the people with the least understanding of addiction and the most likely to mock those who smoke, drink or take drugs are the ones who can’t possibly function without their morning coffee and who would have a full on meltdown if they had to do without caffeine and/or sugar for a while.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pongo said:

Why not put the price of 20 cigarettes or a small packet of tobacco up to £1000? Price it as an occasional luxury.

It's bonkers people still deliberately breathing particulates into their airways. 

True but knowing the truth about the air quality in Douglas on windless days so are 100% of the people in the capital just breathing. Some really bad shit in the Douglas air too.

Ask Boot why the old air quality monitoring station that was as the QB roundabout was removed 15 years ago? I'll give a hint, its like sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalalalalalala...................

20 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

How much is 20 fags these days?

20 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

11 quid?

£1.18 was the first packet I bought in 1979.  20 B&H. I started maybe a few years before Roxanne quit, early-mid 1980s?  

15 hours ago, Roxanne said:

The were £1.50 the last time I bought a packet. And they were Gauloises too!

I stuck it out for a few years and have to say very much enjoyed the thrill of overcoming each addiction pang I suffered between 20 and 40 times a day. Since giving up, after those first 2 months or so of cold turkey,  I have never looked back, but I do look at all those addicts huddled outside their offices, puffing away and vacantly looking at their phones.

All that money up in smoke, and all that ash lurking around in their once pretty pink lungs.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, John Wright said:

I’m assuming it’s just the brewery making a fortune again. Isn’t Spar a brewery franchise Island wide bar 1? But local shops inevitably have higher overheads than national chains, even if they’re in a wholesale purchasing franchise.

Dont smoke. Partner does. I brought back 80 packs, mixed 30/40/50gm, in mid October. They averaged £4 each. They’ll last until June or July. I could have chosen not to. But I’d end up paying Manx prices anyway. So I’ve saved £800.

Brexit is going to throw a spanner. The wine & beer allowance is pretty generous, but tobacco very low.

You could have 'saved' another £320 by not buying them at all, and still only broken even :)