New Cycle Path

Happier diner

What does everybody think about this

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59508&headline=New cycle path rapidly takes shape&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Environment

I am a big advocate of establishing a safe cycling network. Therefore anything is positive however.

I would like to see a plan though, as some of the schemes seem to be low hanging fruit, completed because they can be and not because there is an actual need for the route. Examples are

1) The Heritage Trail - Its been resurfaced. but its pitch dark and how many commute from Peel each day using it. I stay on the road despite its danger because it takes too long on the trail and me and the bike get filthy. If it were lit and smooth and clean that would be different. I think the Heritage trail is a good leisure trail but commute - not really

2) The Nunnery path. This is slowly turning to mud again and also what commuting purpose does it serve unless you work in middle river and live on old Castletown road

I thought that the plan was to have a safe cycling route from Onchan into Town. No offence to Anagh Coar but its not cycling central. Also why is Quarter Bridge Road being fettled....without a cycling lane. Surely this was the opportunity to narrow the very wide footpath and install a cycle lane/shared space without narrowing the road. Maybe it is being done but so far it doesn't seem to be. QB road is a busy cycle route and is a death trap

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

1) The Heritage Trail - Its been resurfaced. but its pitch dark and how many commute from Peel each day using it. I stay on the road despite its danger because it takes too long on the trail and me and the bike get filthy. If it were lit and smooth and clean that would be different. I think the Heritage trail is a good leisure trail but commute - not really

Can you not put lights on your bike or does the dark scare you?

The heritage trail is a complete waste of money, very few, if any, commute on it, they have made it a horrid path to walk on, a horrid path to cycle on apparently and have reduced its wildlife value considerably. So it seems they have managed to piss off pretty much everyone. Must make note to nominate the DOI for the awards for excellence for that.

Such a success they are going to do the same to the line to Kirk Michael at great expense

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The heritage trail is a complete waste of money, very few, if any, commute on it, they have made it a horrid path to walk on, a horrid path the cycle on apparently and have reduced its wildlife value considerably. So it seems they have managed to piss off pretty much everyone. Must make note to nominate the DOI for the awards for excellence for that.

I walked on a section of the Heritage Way the other day between Union Mills and St. Johns. I remember it when it was mostly mud and puddles. It has vastly improved and I thought the surface was good for walking on. I liked the weird chainsaw carvings and the sitting area with attached bike service station was interesting. I noticed that there was a water bottle refilling station next to the amenity site near St. Johns, a couple more of these along the way would be good.

• Like 1

Removing bikes from the main roads is essential as the potholes and the speed / volume of traffic now is an appalling combination.

I use a bike locally wherever and when ever I can - would love to use these trails but they don't seem to have much benefits according to users.

• Like 1

They're currently installing a cycleway/footpath along what used to be the route of the old railway line out of Ramsey, that's being tarmac surfaced by the look of it. I don't know where the Pondyites will take their dogs to have a shit now though; maybe on the new path?

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The heritage trail is a complete waste of money, very few, if any, commute on it, they have made it a horrid path to walk on, a horrid path to cycle on apparently and have reduced its wildlife value considerably. So it seems they have managed to piss off pretty much everyone. Must make note to nominate the DOI for the awards for excellence for that.

Such a success they are going to do the same to the line to Kirk Michael at great expense

Fair observation

I do have lights on my bike but they are more for being seen rather than seeing. I have some high power LED lights but to be honest can't be bothered to get them set up every day when I can just go on the road......which is shorter and a lot cleaner. When I say dark, I mean really really dark and also I forgot to add the dog walkers who don't have their dogs under control and expect everyone to stop every five minutes or the dog walkers that stand gossiping in groups, blocking the path and seem to have no ability to see other users coming.......grrrrr!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I miss the old section from Crosby to Greeba had some nice fast flowy bits. I ride down there loads, it is a success you can't really say otherwise, always plenty down there including commuters the path is not horrid just a bit boring.

2 hours ago, Katman said:

I walked on a section of the Heritage Way the other day between Union Mills and St. Johns. I remember it when it was mostly mud and puddles. It has vastly improved and I thought the surface was good for walking on. I liked the weird chainsaw carvings and the sitting area with attached bike service station was interesting. I noticed that there was a water bottle refilling station next to the amenity site near St. Johns, a couple more of these along the way would be good.

Yes I agree, not too bad for walking and when the Costa opens in Crosby it will be a nice stopping point, apparently there will be a footpath from heritage trail to new stores 

On 12/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Happier diner said:

I thought that the plan was to have a safe cycling route from Onchan into Town. No offence to Anagh Coar but its not cycling central. Also why is Quarter Bridge Road being fettled....without a cycling lane. Surely this was the opportunity to narrow the very wide footpath and install a cycle lane/shared space without narrowing the road. Maybe it is being done but so far it doesn't seem to be. QB road is a busy cycle route and is a death trap

I think the cycling as a commute angle has been hugely exagerated. There are perhaps 3 new cyclists i spot during the school run and these are all riding old rusty bikes so most likely new to the form of transport. Granted there are a small number of simiar novice cyclists at the weekend around the heritage trail and most of these are ebike riders who are older. 

I have yet to see any new fully kitted out commuter cyclist, new bike, laptop rucksack, waterbottle etc. they just dont exist around Douglas each morning. The cycling boom has therefore been in the fitness / outdoor recreation sector 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

I think the cycling as a commute angle has been hugely exagerated. There are perhaps 3 new cyclists i spot during the school run and these are all riding old rusty bikes so most likely new to the form of transport. Granted there are a small number of simiar novice cyclists at the weekend around the heritage trail and most of these are ebike riders who are older. 

I have yet to see any new fully kitted out commuter cyclist, new bike, laptop rucksack, waterbottle etc. they just dont exist around Douglas each morning. The cycling boom has therefore been in the fitness / outdoor recreation sector 

Its a fair point. Do you think there would be more commuters if the facilities were better. Look at London, cycling super highways, rammed with bikes

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its a fair point. Do you think there would be more commuters if the facilities were better. Look at London, cycling super highways, rammed with bikes

There is a big difference between  London and IOM though so not even remotely comparable.

Commuting by bike within the Douglas/Onchan/Braddan area may be a just about enforceable and I would not object if on street parking was banned in those areas and the road space released was used to make cycleways but I do not live in these areas.

I would like to know how many actually commute every day from say Peel to Douglas, by commute I would define as for at least 40 weeks a year, 5 days a week and how many extra it actually has encouraged to do so. I would guess very very few in reality.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Happier diner said:

What does everybody think about this

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59508&headline=New cycle path rapidly takes shape&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Environment

I am a big advocate of establishing a safe cycling network. Therefore anything is positive however.

I would like to see a plan though, as some of the schemes seem to be low hanging fruit, completed because they can be and not because there is an actual need for the route. Examples are

2) The Nunnery path. This is slowly turning to mud again and also what commuting purpose does it serve unless you work in middle river and live on old Castletown road

I think the answer you're looking for is buy a car. 

Government could buy everyone in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan a bike and it would make very, very little difference. 

Cycling is a hobby. Not a form of regular transport. 

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Chris Boardman is the cycling czar for Manchester they have a 10yr £1.5B (yes billion) for cycling and walking.

https://tfgm.com/made-to-move/publications

To make it successful you need to reach a tipping point where driving is more expensive or more incoveinent than cycling / walking. Given the hilly nature of Douglas, our poor weather and an ageing / widening population that point is unlikely to ever be reached. 

Pedestrianising lower Douglas and having shuttle buses that actually work would be a bold move but the place would be much better off for it IMHO, either that or monorail