New Cycle Path

Happier diner

2 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

To make it successful you need to reach a tipping point where driving is more expensive or more incoveinent than cycling / walking.

DOI are working exceptionally hard to meet or even exceed both of those targets.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Or just a decent multi-storey carpark

Yeah but built at business park / spring valley, move all retail to there. Flatten half the hotels on the Prom and create plazas with restaurants cafe and bars. Then you can cycle to work and go to the pub afterwards. 

4 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

There is a big difference between  London and IOM though so not even remotely comparable.

Commuting by bike within the Douglas/Onchan/Braddan area may be a just about enforceable and I would not object if on street parking was banned in those areas and the road space released was used to make cycleways but I do not live in these areas.

I would like to know how many actually commute every day from say Peel to Douglas, by commute I would define as for at least 40 weeks a year, 5 days a week and how many extra it actually has encouraged to do so. I would guess very very few in reality.

Yes it's very few.  Theres one chap who comes thru Kirk Michael and he does it every day.  I do it about once a week and I only see the odd person. If you ever tried it though you would realise why. Its deadly. Only a very experienced and confident cyclist would do it. That's why I think if it were more realistic more people would do it. We have to accept that dec to feb is always going to be a big ask from Peel.

4 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

I think the answer you're looking for is buy a car. 

Government could buy everyone in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan a bike and it would make very, very little difference. 

Cycling is a hobby. Not a form of regular transport. 

That's not true really accepting, yes, most is leisure for sure, I commute every day on the bike and I see others. Not many that's true, but then the cycling facilities here are a joke and only experienced cyclists should even consider having a go.

12 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Cycling facilities, do you mean roads or are you looking for a totally cycle only use series of paths/routes but do not wish to pay anything towards them. I myself use a car on roads, But I have contributed to their upkeep by vehicle duty and tax on the fuel I use. Just saying

Isn't that a bit of a fallacy when most cyclists also own cars and thus pay for them?

Also, vehicle excise duty is based on emissions for modern vehicles, most of which are cleaner than a cyclist's farts, so pay as little as 6 quid a year. Really funding the coffers they are.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Cycling facilities, do you mean roads or are you looking for a totally cycle only use series of paths/routes but do not wish to pay anything towards them. I myself use a car on roads, But I have contributed to their upkeep by vehicle duty and tax on the fuel I use. Just saying

not this old chestnut again. Do you think that 'cyclists' don't have cars......:stupid:

Vehicle licence is a tax and it has nothing to do with roads what-so-ever

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, Happier diner said:

Fair observation

I do have lights on my bike but they are more for being seen rather than seeing. I have some high power LED lights but to be honest can't be bothered to get them set up every day when I can just go on the road......which is shorter and a lot cleaner. When I say dark, I mean really really dark and also I forgot to add the dog walkers who don't have their dogs under control and expect everyone to stop every five minutes or the dog walkers that stand gossiping in groups, blocking the path and seem to have no ability to see other users coming.......grrrrr!

Cyclist complains about being held up by others. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

A really interesting take on the costs and benefits of road transport.  Whilst it may be true that car users do perhaps contribute more to the maintenance of roads and highways, via increased taxation on both vehicle excise duty and fuel duty, it must be understood that the rest of society also contributes to roads via general taxation, possibly via income tax or perhaps VAT.  It could also be the case that some car drivers actually contribute less to road maintenance than non-drivers, electric vehicles pay zero VED but generate congestion and still contribute to reduced productivity, accidents, health spending etc.  Whilst the point that car drivers pay vehicle excise duty ran out of steam many years ago car drivers constantly fail to understand that far from contributing towards road use, they are actually being massively subsidised.  The overwhelming number of cars are under utillised, often traveling with essentially an unused armchair in the back.  Furthmore, there is rarely any mention of the colossal impact car use has upon wider society in terms of pollution, global warming and wider congestion.  If the true cost of this was taken into account at either the petrol pump or via vehicle duty there would be a considerable rise in costs.  It is a classic case of individuals being blinded by the monetary costs they incur rather than the costs their activity imposed upon the rest of society.  Just saying.

On 12/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, TomTucker said:

Yeah but built at business park / spring valley, move all retail to there. Flatten half the hotels on the Prom and create plazas with restaurants cafe and bars. Then you can cycle to work and go to the pub afterwards. 

And where are all the people to use all these new bars etc in addition to existing ones? Would need another 50k population to even consider those types of development 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

And where are all the people to use all these new bars etc in addition to existing ones? Would need another 50k population to even consider those types of development 

......and who the hell will cycle in weather like we have in the winter? I'll say it and incur the lycra wrath, cycling is not a practical means of everyday transport on the Isle of Man for the majority of the population!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

......and who the hell will cycle in weather like we have in the winter? I'll say it and incur the lycra wrath, cycling is not a practical means of everyday transport on the Isle of Man for the majority of the population!

It's not the weather....just the wrong clothes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1