New Cycle Path

13 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

......and who the hell will cycle in weather like we have in the winter? I'll say it and incur the lycra wrath, cycling is not a practical means of everyday transport on the Isle of Man for the majority of the population!

You do realise you won't melt in the rain...

• Haha 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you not put lights on your bike or does the dark scare you? The heritage trail is a complete waste of money, very few, if any, commute on it, they have made it a horrid path to walk on, a hor

I think the answer you're looking for is buy a car.    Government could buy everyone in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan a bike and it would make very, very little difference.  Cycling is a hobby

DOI are working exceptionally hard to meet or even exceed both of those targets.

20 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

......and who the hell will cycle in weather like we have in the winter? I'll say it and incur the lycra wrath, cycling is not a practical means of everyday transport on the Isle of Man for the majority of the population!

Exactly. 

Then these sweaty/damp lycra clad commuters pitch up at work and sit in the stench all day, afflicting the aroma onto their co-workers. 

Keith, I don't  know if you use the forum, but the Lynx Africa gift set from Secret Santa was a clue! 

Edited by AlanShimmin
On 12/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Happier diner said:

What does everybody think about this

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59508&headline=New cycle path rapidly takes shape&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2020&cat=Environment

I am a big advocate of establishing a safe cycling network. Therefore anything is positive however.

I would like to see a plan though, as some of the schemes seem to be low hanging fruit, completed because they can be and not because there is an actual need for the route. Examples are

1) The Heritage Trail - Its been resurfaced. but its pitch dark and how many commute from Peel each day using it. I stay on the road despite its danger because it takes too long on the trail and me and the bike get filthy. If it were lit and smooth and clean that would be different. I think the Heritage trail is a good leisure trail but commute - not really

2) The Nunnery path. This is slowly turning to mud again and also what commuting purpose does it serve unless you work in middle river and live on old Castletown road

I thought that the plan was to have a safe cycling route from Onchan into Town. No offence to Anagh Coar but its not cycling central. Also why is Quarter Bridge Road being fettled....without a cycling lane. Surely this was the opportunity to narrow the very wide footpath and install a cycle lane/shared space without narrowing the road. Maybe it is being done but so far it doesn't seem to be. QB road is a busy cycle route and is a death trap

Are you serious about wanting it lit?