Pulrose Bridge replacement to begin in March

Barlow

Manx Radio

This Bridge was closed multiple times and for many weeks each occasion when the Power Station was being built. They should have constructed a simple tunnel and be done with it, but the whole job programming, just like the Promenade, was a big mess. There was loads of cash swilling about so they didn't care. They could have built a new Bridge then, the amount of time it was closed and dug up, closed and dug up.

This thread will not be another Promenade thread because lessons have been learned.

Edited by Barlow

A year to build a new one? What utter balderdash! 3 months max anywhere else and just a couple of days in China.

A few years ago was watching bridge building in Spain, at the end of our four week holiday was driving over the new bridge they had started at the beginning of our holiday and it was over a bigger river, at least twice as wide as here. Nerja if any one is interested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

A year to build a new one? What utter balderdash! 3 months max anywhere else and just a couple of days in China.

A few years ago was watching bridge building in Spain, at the end of our four week holiday was driving over the new bridge they had started at the beginning of our holiday and it was over a bigger river, at least twice as wide as here. Nerja if any one is interested.

I googled Nerja bridge

Aye, that's good going: Google Images

1255463821_NerjaBridge01.jpg.9aa54adade8df59b7bbe940254427552.jpg

Edited to add:

This is not intended to be a serious post. The bridge is in Nerja though

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 2

"Gas diversions will take place before the construction work begins in March, while water, telecoms and electricity will also need to be diverted".

Deja Vu ?

Thats 11 months work as it is then before they start the heavy stuff.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Manx Radio

This Bridge was closed multiple times and for many weeks each occasion when the Power Station was being built. They should have constructed a simple tunnel and be done with it, but the whole job programming, just like the Promenade, was a big mess. There was loads of cash swilling about so they didn't care. They could have built a new Bridge then, the amount of time it was closed and dug up, closed and dug up.

This thread will not be another Promenade thread because lessons have been learned.

What's a simple tunnel look like? Is it any different to a normal Tunnel. About 10 times the cost (at least) I reckon.

Edited by Happier diner

To answer your question, a tunnel is indeed a bastard. And costs a bomb.

What I was meaning, was to dig a big cutting across the road (one side at a time so the traffic still flows) and lash a roof on it. 

They'd dug that road up multiple time (3? 4? 5?) during the construction of the Power Station, and for long periods too.

Edited by Barlow

I see the future...

DOI Engineers are to look at plans after Pulrose Bridge Installation 'didn't look right'.
A further £3.8 million is to be spent looking at plans after the DOI installed what looked to be a water slide at the Pulrose Bridge location.
MHK Laurence Skelly said the bridge "could bring tourists flocking to the Island" in a new plan by DfE officials to entice tourists to the Island to "stand and laugh" at the location. "Laughing tourism, could be the next big thing on the Island." said Mr Skelly.

article-1307220-0AF70B62000005DC-397_468

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I know that bridge!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

To answer your question, a tunnel is indeed a bastard. And costs a bomb.

What I was meaning, was to dig a big cutting across the road (one side at a time so the traffic still flows) and lash a roof on it. 

They'd dug that road up multiple time (3? 4? 5?) during the construction of the Power Station, and for long periods too.

I'm no engineer but it seems feasible to me. Anyone seen an example of this. The River would need to be diverted which would be a challenge if there was a flood

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm no engineer but it seems feasible to me. Anyone seen an example of this. The River would need to be diverted which would be a challenge if there was a flood

No problem. DOI will bring Moses in as a consultant.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They dug the road up to connect the two sides of it of the Power Station. Piping, instrumentation and control cables etc.

Even laying a big pipe duct or two the first time they dug up the road would have done the job.