Pulrose Bridge replacement to begin in March

No doubt it will be a single lane bridge with a shared footpath cycle way. So as to act as a traffic calming measure with priority given to cars coming into the capital on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sunday and vehicles exiting the capital on Tue, Thu, Sat, on months containing an R and reversed on other months so as people do not get to complacent. There will of course be a set of traffic light's, Most likely along the lines of the promenade lights for the horse trams. And so trying to decide who has right of way is a bit like trying to work out the time table for the bus to Williston last week, and we all know how good the Manx people are with right of way just watch at any roundabout .

• Haha 2
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see the future... DOI Engineers are to look at plans after Pulrose Bridge Installation 'didn't look right'. A further £3.8 million is to be spent looking at plans after the DOI installed what

I’ll take your 12 months and 3.4 mil and raise you an extra 18 months and 9 mil.

We knocked this one up in just over a year in Cumbria. Mind you it took a while to start what with Storm Desmond damaging 700 other bridges in the county. I'm sure one of our engineers could emai

Posted Images

It would be really stupid to create further disruption before the Promenade is completed. The knock-on from the promenade is already creating significant disruption in many other parts of Douglas far away from the promenade.

Obviously the promenade could be finished really quickly if they wanted. A week or so to quickly rip out the pointless tramlines - then level the whole lot off and tarmac it. It doesn't need to be built to last forever. Nothing does.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Max Power said:

What is the fantastic benefit that this will bring?

Will there be access to the Riverside Industrial Estate?

The fantastic benefit is that you wont plunge to your death if you are driving over the current bridge when it gives way.

It is end of life from what I understand, would have a weight limit on it in the UK.

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

The fantastic benefit is that you wont plunge to your death if you are driving over the current bridge when it gives way.

It is end of life from what I understand, would have a weight limit on it in the UK.

How much longer do they anticipate it to last? Couldn't the job have waited until the prom is completed? Surely there's still about twenty years life in the bridge...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I have one word for that, VOIDS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

How much longer do they anticipate it to last? Couldn't the job have waited until the prom is completed? Surely there's still about twenty years life in the bridge...

Not if there is another flood. I think it was assessed as high risk after the floods a few years back. There is insufficient clearance under it and its structure is weak.

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If it were 'Hi Risk', they would have closed it before now?

The purpose is to cause new traffic jams at Q-Bridge to justify the milliquids for a revamp of that junction.

Yes, that proposal was only ever put on the back burner when the VAT thing hit ten-odd years ago.

DOI projects never die; they just hibernate, pending the Island having wonga again.

10 hours ago, Expat. said:

We knocked this one up in just over a year in Cumbria. Mind you it took a while to start what with Storm Desmond damaging 700 other bridges in the county.

I'm sure one of our engineers could email one of your engineers...

Far too cost effective for the IOM ! the project sponsors are drooling at the thought of the millions this will require to bring the project back onto a timescale ! When does the inquiry start, we could save time by having the inquiry before the project !

Edited by asitis
  • Haha 3