A costly jetski visit to the Isle of Man.

Langweilig

It does surprise me that very few people seem to understand the challenges of crossing the Irish Sea despite living on an Island that is frequently battered in winter by the winds, tides and waves that it generates.

My father used to work deep sea and said that the Irish Sea was one of the worst stretches of water he ever encountered.  To cross even the shortest distance on a jet ski in winter just seems like a foolish risk even without all the Covid restrictions.  If the story is true then this guy was battling waves, the current, the cold and wind with limited fuel, no heating and probably limited navigational equipment.  And after all that he managed to walk from Ramsey to Douglas, then go out clubbing...

• Like 3

On 12/15/2020 at 3:25 PM, manxman1980 said:

It smells of a lie...

Would a jet ski have sufficient fuel to make that trip?  4.5 hours in the Irish Sea sounds a long time for something that size and exposed in the winter.  Much more likely that he hitched a lift on a trawler, maybe did the final stint to Ramsey on the Jet Ski, or maybe stowed away in a van or car on the Ferry courtesy of a mate. 

The fishing vessel scenario was my take on it as well.

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Story kicking around on the social medias that this guy isn't a nice person.

That Urqhart woman seems obsessed. She publishes all sorts alleging everything. Most of it without foundation. She only gets a platform because she moderates Vader’s FB group.

Seems she may have been subject to abuse in her youth, but like the Fenton guy she is capable of doing much damage. 

Few weeks ago she was mouthing off about hanging, drawing and quartering a young guy alleged to have assaulted a young woman. She had no idea of his back story.

Totally irresponsible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

That Urqhart woman seems obsessed. She publishes all sorts alleging everything. Most of it without foundation. She only gets a platform because she moderates Vader’s FB group.

Seems she may have been subject to abuse in her youth, but like the Fenton guy she is capable of doing much damage. 

Few weeks ago she was mouthing off about hanging, drawing and quartering a young guy alleged to have assaulted a young woman. She had no idea of his back story.

Totally irresponsible.

That's why I didn't link to it, she's a bit nutty. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Ah, I did, in the main virus thread. Thought about it for a while and checked the newspaper site for myself.

I had a little look for a follow up to the story but couldn't find one. The crazy lady says she's in touch with a journalist in Scotland so maybe she'll back it up later. She's made some allegations about his behaviour on Saturday too, which does make you wonder why the police had spoken to him in Regent Street that night as reported.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I had a little look for a follow up to the story but couldn't find one. The crazy lady says she's in touch with a journalist in Scotland so maybe she'll back it up later. She's made some allegations about his behaviour on Saturday too, which does make you wonder why the police had spoken to him in Regent Street that night as reported.

It might stop the "milk tray man" sort of nonsense being sprouted by some people. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

It might stop the "milk tray man" sort of nonsense being sprouted by some people. 

Bordellos were having repeated mass throw outs early hours Saturday and Sunday. Attended a couple of the fallouts as duty advocate.

At present there’s no proof he was convicted of anything else, anywhere. Or that he was doing anything untoward apart from breaching border regulations.

”sprouted”?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Presumably the guy has a mobile phone, so why not check where he was on that?

Sure plod have considered that....

They’re not really as accurate as all that.

Partner lost his iWatch on Saturday/early hours Sunday.

I understand iWatch lost tracking is GPS, not phone cells, but it showed variously up Victoria Street, Walpole Avenue, Bath Place, A11 ( promenade ), Peveril Square, Regent Street, Duke Street.

Was in Bordellos.

50 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Presumably the guy has a mobile phone, so why not check where he was on that?

Sure plod have considered that....

It's a bit more nuanced than that.

In theory, you could grab his data from the Google activity log if he's got it enabled, but you'd need to get access to that, which is a whole other kettle of fish legally speaking.

Tracking the phone based on the network provider really isn't accurate to more than a mile or so. You're basically working out the signal in relation to 2 or 3 masts, and making an educated guess on that. So it'd be 'somewhere within that square mile or so'

37 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I was half expecting a warning over the other post on the subject so I’m happy with a spelling check / typo instead 😂

Nah. It’s a newspaper link. But it’s not confirmation he was convicted or done anything wrong.