Vodaphone

horatiotheturd

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Anyone else here been managing to blag it using Vodafone sim over here and had the dreaded text this morning.

Will people be toed into contracts they now can't use? And will the other UK providers do the same?

Probably and yes would be my guess.  8 months left to run here.

Yes - I had a text last week. Basically because you'd be classed as a permanent roamer they'll add usage charges on top of your monthly fee. I had a look at all the other UK providers and they seem to have adopted the same policy. I spoke to  Vodafone and got them to convert mine to PAYG, there are some PAYG packages which are a lot cheaper than I was paying on a contract and offer plenty of minutes, texts and data for roaming.

7B8DE8B0-8FDB-40BA-B9CA-10851144EE5A.jpeg

It must've been a long time coming. Carriers paying MT/Sure a chunk of change for network roaming fees, and it's a matter of time before that outweighs the cost of people being over here with their phones.

All carriers have similar fair use policies and they'd be well within their rights to enforce them at some point.

4 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Stupid thing is if the few people that were doing it and getting away with it hadn't started telling everyone how great it was, they might have still been able to get away with it.

SURE PAYG is cheap as chios so will probably do that.

It's not just the IOM - in fact I'd be fairly sure we are just a tiny percentage of the 'permanent roamers' they are targeting. There are tens of thousands of expats in Europe using UK providers.

The choice of what you move to depends on how much time you spend in the UK and further afield. If you spend just a limited amount of time away, the limited European roaming data provided by Sure and MT in their plans would likely be more than enough. If you spend a few months away, and use your phone a lot, you'd be best looking elsewhere. Vodafone PAYG seems good for European roaming (inc IOM) and the 3 'feel at home' plan is pretty good if you are going further afield to the likes of the USA, Oz or NZ.

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

About time they clamped down on this scam and everyone resident here should pay normal rates!!

It's not a scam, and the residents here are paying 'normal rates'. Just not to a local provider. The bit they're skirting around is the fact that they may well be in breach of a fair use policy from their provider.

Sure's current PAYG offering at 20 per month for unlimited data is pretty good, but their network is dog slow especially in Ramsey. It's 10x faster at 3am than it is at 3pm. They need more masts, but I'd imagine that there'd be uproar if they proposed it.

Of course, roaming the other way is extortionate after an easily reached point. Which is why people often back and forth have English SIMs instead. I keep a dual-SIM for my manx number mainly for incoming calls as 6 digits is easier to give people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It's not a scam, and the residents here are paying 'normal rates'. Just not to a local provider. The bit they're skirting around is the fact that they may well be in breach of a fair use policy from their provider.

Sure's current PAYG offering at 20 per month for unlimited data is pretty good, but their network is dog slow especially in Ramsey. It's 10x faster at 3am than it is at 3pm. They need more masts, but I'd imagine that there'd be uproar if they proposed it.

Of course, roaming the other way is extortionate after an easily reached point. Which is why people often back and forth have English SIMs instead. I keep a dual-SIM for my manx number mainly for incoming calls as 6 digits is easier to give people.

If you use an off island provider you will likely roam to sure masts anyway.

Sure 4g is all we use for Internet via a 4g router.  Varies between 70 and 80 mbs so hardly "dog slow"

Makes you wonder what we ever did without mobile telephones.

Young people addicted to them nowadays. Get on a bus nowadays and everyone has their face in their phones.

Except me. Don't use one anymore.

Wonder how much Government gets charged each month for their employees mobile phone bills as I think them get them for free now.

The latest I Phone 12 advert is appalling. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

If you use an off island provider you will likely roam to sure masts anyway.

Sure 4g is all we use for Internet via a 4g router.  Varies between 70 and 80 mbs so hardly "dog slow"

Ramsey is a known area for contention. It's why they don't sell you a 4G router if you live in Ramsey.

Think more like 3mbps average through the day.

4 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Stupid thing is if the few people that were doing it and getting away with it hadn't started telling everyone how great it was, they might have still been able to get away with it.

SURE PAYG is cheap as chios so will probably do that.

Nah, it'll be all those who have second homes in France and Spain that they're really targeting. Although it's likely to be a moot point soon as the roaming charge restrictions are an EU thing, and Vodafone lobbied long and hard against them.

I have a dual-SIM phone, if/when O2 send me the same text I'll just convert it to PAYG. For on-island stuff a Sure or MT PAYG SIM is good value, together with a Skype call package for calls to the UK.