Bus Heaven

Max Power

I have to say that we do have a great bus service for a small island. The buses themselves are clean, comfortable and well equipped, the drivers seem pleasant enough and in general I'd say the service is a credit to the island.

The only concern to me is, can we afford it? We seem to be replacing buses at a constant rate, which I suppose makes sense in that we sell on our older fleet while there is still a relatively good value in them and before they begin costing us money in repairs and depreciation?

It seems that we have just spent c.£2m on renewing the fleet's older vehicles, including purchasing the last remaining old model Mercedes double deckers which are being discontinued. I'm not sure on the benefits of this, would the newer model be a better bet or is this to maintain the replacement cycle?

My feeling is that, in view of the enormous expenditure, the taxpayer should be better informed as to the benefits or otherwise and the details should not be hidden under the blanket of 'commercial confidentiality!' If this was a private company, the shareholders would want to be assured, I don't see why we can not be assured!  

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59786&headline=Just how many more minibuses do we need?&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2021

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Why do we keep buying Mercedes ? its almost as if there is something going on we are not aware of ?

Well, assuming there's nothing dodgy going on, it's probably far easier and cheaper to have all of your maintenance across one brand. You don't have to train on diagnostics across manufacturers.

You'd also get a much better deal on them if you're a regular buyer. You should see how cheap BMWs are for police. I've heard that it would in some cases be cheaper to have a fleet of only BMWs in the police forces in the UK, but everyone would kick off about the police using BMWs as panda cars.

The real telling part would be the cost of ownership of new vs old buses, including the costs of breakdowns and so on, versus the depreciation of a new fleet of Citaros.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, assuming there's nothing dodgy going on, it's probably far easier and cheaper to have all of your maintenance across one brand. You don't have to train on diagnostics across manufacturers.

You'd also get a much better deal on them if you're a regular buyer. You should see how cheap BMWs are for police. I've heard that it would in some cases be cheaper to have a fleet of only BMWs in the police forces in the UK, but everyone would kick off about the police using BMWs as panda cars.

The real telling part would be the cost of ownership of new vs old buses, including the costs of breakdowns and so on, versus the depreciation of a new fleet of Citaros.

In Government, unlike the private sector, cost of capital is free, maintenance is not. So it seems to be cheaper to knock a house down and build new than to paint it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Particularly given that Nick Black recently revealed that BV/DOI are now an accredited Mercedes repair facility with (quote) "huge discounts on spare parts". Therefore we should have the ability to extend our fleet's life as regards economic viability. We should be able to keep them going for a lot longer without the excessive expenditure which is the usual kiss of death/write off for a vehicle.

24 minutes ago, asitis said:

Why do we keep buying Mercedes ? its almost as if there is something going on we are not aware of ?

Wasn’t it alleged that somebody who makes the decisions here has a close family member who’s a Mercedes commercial vehicles dealer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I think a higher resell value was a big reason for originally choosing Mercedes and also cheaper to buy them in silver rather than fleet colours.

Mercedes also come with a high intial purchase price, and high cost of spares.

A also believe there are 5 or 6 recently withdrawn Citaros, hidden in a hanger at Jurby, as they are currently unsaleable. It would be interesting to see the economics of cancelling the new order for next year (saving 6 x £200k) and restoring those to service, until the market improves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Mercedes also come with a high intial purchase price, and high cost of spares.

A also believe there are 5 or 6 recently withdrawn Citaros, hidden in a hanger at Jurby, as they are currently unsaleable. It would be interesting to see the economics of cancelling the new order for next year (saving 6 x £200k) and restoring those to service, until the market improves.

Please do not introduce any common sense into the bus vannin agenda it will spoil the thread LOL

• Haha 2