Electioneering starting early,

9 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Thankfully the section of society who label people because of such things are gradually disappearing. 

The Class divide is very much alive and well, I would say we have an increasing generation that aren’t religious and aren’t interested in politics but it will still be 20-30 years before we see them come through.

• Like 1
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know Keiran pretty well, through the local music scene.  He’s a genuine guy - I have nothing to say about his past, as I didn’t know him then - who wants to see the island bettered for all. Yes, he

I can't let this go. You really are so very rude sometimes Dilli. Rude and judgemental. Gawd knows we are all judgemental at one level or another, but you are off the scale. You do know that ever

Or perhaps she is motivated, sincere, hard-working and wants to give herself the best chance of success? I can understand why that may be a difficult concept for you to grasp of course.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Which is why it needs someone to get in and break the mould. Ideally more than one. Quite how that will happen in 2021 I'm not sure. We need to encourage more of our young into understanding how important voting is. Recent events (Covid, to a lesser extent here Brexit) might have an impact. I'd certainly say there are a lot more young people paying attention now than when I was that age.

Brexit caused a massive shake up, ironically the people who it affected the most were those who were overall less likely to vote, now we now the consequences and it has caused a bit of stir.

3 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Which is why it needs someone to get in and break the mould. Ideally more than one. Quite how that will happen in 2021 I'm not sure. We need to encourage more of our young into understanding how important voting is. Recent events (Covid, to a lesser extent here Brexit) might have an impact. I'd certainly say there are a lot more young people paying attention now than when I was that age.

I hope you're right, I really do. We need as many revolutionaries as possible. 

We have some level of independence and what do we use it for? Making rich people richer. 

What have we achieved politically in the last 40 years? Votes for 16 year olds and little else. 

We need a change from the lazy unimaginative politics which we've all grown used to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Chris C said:

I hope you're right, I really do. We need as many revolutionaries as possible. 

We have some level of independence and what do we use it for? Making rich people richer. 

What have we achieved politically in the last 40 years? Votes for 16 year olds and little else. 

We need a change from the lazy unimaginative politics which we've all grown used to.

Up the Tooting Front and all that  eh ? 

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Up the Tooting Front and all that  eh ? 

I get that. But like you I have kids, and think of how it is for them starting out adult life. Middle aged greying men may not represent them as well as they do you or I. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I get that. But like you I have kids, and think of how it is for them starting out adult life. Middle aged greying men may not represent them as well as they do you or I. 

But those with clear heads each day may be preferable to someone floating in on a cloud of pot. Can’t speak for you , but my two have fuck all in common with this idiot. They are of a similar age, but a million miles away from his thinking. Thank fuck

Just now, dilligaf said:

my two have fuck all in common with this idiot.

You know you're being a bit of a dickhead right?

Also "clear heads each day"? How many of our current MHKs drink regularly? I know you grew up in the "reefer madness" propaganda, but you know things have moved on a little since then right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, HeliX said:

You know you're being a bit of a dickhead right?

Also "clear heads each day"? How many of our current MHKs drink regularly? I know you grew up in the "reefer madness" propaganda, but you know things have moved on a little since then right?

Please  explain  why I am being a dickhead .

My kids don’t drink, smoke or take drugs. Is that what the problem is ?

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Please  explain  why I am being a dickhead .

My kids don’t drink, smoke or take drugs. Is that what the problem is ?

No, the problem is that you're railing against someone who wants to do right by the island and its inhabitants just because you object to his past, his appearance and his occasional bit of weed. And worse than that, you're now calling him an idiot for those things, saying his only chance of votes is "sympathy votes" even though many young will agree with many of his policies, and generally coming full-bore at someone who's doing their damnedest to be honest and open and improve the place they live.

It's just a bit.. dicky innit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, HeliX said:

No, the problem is that you're railing against someone who wants to do right by the island and its inhabitants just because you object to his past, his appearance and his occasional bit of weed. And worse than that, you're now calling him an idiot for those things, saying his only chance of votes is "sympathy votes" even though many young will agree with many of his policies, and generally coming full-bore at someone who's doing their damnedest to be honest and open and improve the place they live.

It's just a bit.. dicky innit?

No . Not at all  . Do you have principles ?  Do today’s kids have principals? 
No thought not. That is the basis of your future  government?  Well done.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

No . Not at all  . Do you have principles ?  Do today’s kids have principals? 
No thought not. That is the basis of your future  government?  Well done.

I have many principles. One of them is to let someone explain their positions before critiquing their positions, rather than laying into someone based on their past and appearance.

Yes, today's kids have principles. As you've undoubtedly noticed (and complained about) re: climate change, anti-racism, etc.

We agree on almost nothing. That's not a surprise nor new. But normally you're at least a bit reasonable about things.

• Like 6