Electioneering starting early,

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I think Josem will be giving it a punt again. 

The people of Douglas South chose the other folks; Unlike folks in America, I respect the results of elections :)

I don't want to absolutely rule out standing for Douglas South again, but it is difficult for me to imagine doing so.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I wouldn't, because he consistently jumps to conclusions for sets of data that aren't there, oh, and he thinks Brexit and the ending of free movement was a good idea, oh and he thinks minimum alcohol pricing is a good idea, oh, and he's not in any way shape or form a 'liberal'. Oh, yeah, and he's far too sensitive to be a politician.

I think it is good that migrants have jobs sorted out before moving to a new country. That's why, for example, I think the IOM's work permit system (while probably not perfect) is a reasonable starting point. I think that much of the acrimony behind the Brexit debate and referendum could have been avoided if there was a return to the pre-1992 Maastricht treaty change from "free movement of labour" to "free movement of people".

Also, I certainly don't think minimum alcohol pricing is a good idea - I'm all in favour of cheaper beer! 

4 hours ago, Apple said:

Didn't he say recently he was going to run a charity or something social and presumably may rely on Government subsidy?

I certainly do not expect to rely on Government subsidy with my new endeavour.

4 hours ago, Apple said:

Look forward to seeing these new people attend Tynwald and Douglas council meetings in preparation for their standing, or maybe they don't really need to know what's current. 

I'm pretty confident that the best thing about my unsuccessful candidacy for Tynwald last year was avoiding the requirement to attend meetings of Tynwald.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or perhaps she is motivated, sincere, hard-working and wants to give herself the best chance of success? I can understand why that may be a difficult concept for you to grasp of course.

I know Keiran pretty well, through the local music scene.  He’s a genuine guy - I have nothing to say about his past, as I didn’t know him then - who wants to see the island bettered for all. Yes, he

I can't let this go. You really are so very rude sometimes Dilli. Rude and judgemental. Gawd knows we are all judgemental at one level or another, but you are off the scale. You do know that ever

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I wouldn't, because he consistently jumps to conclusions for sets of data that aren't there, oh, and he thinks Brexit and the ending of free movement was a good idea, oh and he thinks minimum alcohol pricing is a good idea, oh, and he's not in any way shape or form a 'liberal'. Oh, yeah, and he's far too sensitive to be a politician.

Other than that though...

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Josem said:

I certainly do not expect to rely on Government subsidy with my new endeavour.

Excellent. Then I wish you every success in your venture.

14 hours ago, Josem said:

I think that much of the acrimony behind the Brexit debate and referendum could have been avoided if there was a return to the pre-1992 Maastricht treaty change from "free movement of labour" to "free movement of people".

Totally agree. Converted.

• Like 1

I don’t get this anti David Cretney thing. Like all of us he his not perfect but he has always stuck his head above the parapet and done more good than harm. I wish his daughter well , some of her aims will resonate with voters as well they should.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Anyone said:

I don’t get this anti David Cretney thing. Like all of us he his not perfect but he has always stuck his head above the parapet and done more good than harm. I wish his daughter well , some of her aims will resonate with voters as well they should.

Thanks David...

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Anyone said:

Did DC not give into lots of unions’ demands for high wages in his time ?
Polished  granny farmer , but a weak politician.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
20 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Plus not very good at holding on to contracts...

• Haha 4
21 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I believe the phrase was "take DC for a pint in the railway and you're sorted" !!

• Haha 3
On 1/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, dilligaf said:

Yes, but most of us got to see Elton John when he came over,

This was mainly due to David, I believe.

I wonder if manx radio still have that interview of david's shock than he had brought tickets

and it might not go ahead.

51 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Yes, but most of us got to see Elton John when he came over,

This was mainly due to David, I believe.

I wonder if manx radio still have that interview of david's shock than he had brought tickets

and it might not go ahead.

‘Most of us’. I don’t think so. 

On 1/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, dilligaf said:

Imagine being against workers being paid properly instead of the fatcat at the top siphoning it all off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Imagine being against workers being paid properly instead of the fatcat at the top siphoning it all off.

The “ fat cat” was us, the taxpayer duhhh

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, asitis said:

I am sure she is a perfectly lovely lady, but for me she is the old boys club in a frock !

I'm genuinely interested to know why you think this?  Are you judging her just because of who her dad is or are you basing it on her past performance, her policies, beliefs etc?

• Like 4