• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or perhaps she is motivated, sincere, hard-working and wants to give herself the best chance of success? I can understand why that may be a difficult concept for you to grasp of course.

I know Keiran pretty well, through the local music scene.  He’s a genuine guy - I have nothing to say about his past, as I didn’t know him then - who wants to see the island bettered for all. Yes, he

I can't let this go. You really are so very rude sometimes Dilli. Rude and judgemental. Gawd knows we are all judgemental at one level or another, but you are off the scale. You do know that ever

Posted Images

6 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Dear me, you'd think representatives were elected to Tynwald with a mandate to prevent change

Perhaps they are. In that we the public don't really want to change things, to be progressive, to develop as a nation. Sitting snugly and smugly where we are, protected by the UK from some of the political and economic harsh realities of the wider world.

It been said many times that we get the politicians that we deserve. Given the levels of apathy and the "I'm all right Jack" attitude our lot seem to get away metaphorically with murder. The levels of competence we see on display around the island sometimes one has to wonder who is actually running the show.

Whether it's the Civil Services, Dandara or the banks or who ever, outside of Covid (and that is an issue on its own) surely it is down to us to determine what we need to change on the island. Voters being fed the usual line about protecting this or sustaining that or improving whatever - and we fall for it every time. Smoke and mirrors.

I suspect that political awareness amongst young people is at it's highest now due to the pandemic and the conditions it has brought. Their views need to be considered more than ever or we will be at risk of those growing up here will join the apathetic hoards, become more reluctant to be engaged and to vote, and start to vote with their feet. To other places. Where they have a voice. Where they can make a difference.

• Like 1

I think Moorhouse genuinely try’s and is probably a good person but not really made for politics but saying that he’d always get my vote if I lived in the town before Cregeen or Gawne, that’s if I ever decide to vote again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I think Moorhouse genuinely try’s and is probably a good person but not really made for politics but saying that he’d always get my vote if I lived in the town before Cregeen or Gawne, that’s if I ever decide to vote again.

Illustrating exactly the problem we face.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Apple said:

Perhaps they are. In that we the public don't really want to change things, to be progressive, to develop as a nation. Sitting snugly and smugly where we are, protected by the UK from some of the political and economic harsh realities of the wider world.

It been said many times that we get the politicians that we deserve. Given the levels of apathy and the "I'm all right Jack" attitude our lot seem to get away metaphorically with murder. The levels of competence we see on display around the island sometimes one has to wonder who is actually running the show.

Whether it's the Civil Services, Dandara or the banks or who ever, outside of Covid (and that is an issue on its own) surely it is down to us to determine what we need to change on the island. Voters being fed the usual line about protecting this or sustaining that or improving whatever - and we fall for it every time. Smoke and mirrors.

I suspect that political awareness amongst young people is at it's highest now due to the pandemic and the conditions it has brought. Their views need to be considered more than ever or we will be at risk of those growing up here will join the apathetic hoards, become more reluctant to be engaged and to vote, and start to vote with their feet. To other places. Where they have a voice. Where they can make a difference.

Only Quayle CoMin would adopt a 'traa-dy-liooar' policy response to a declared climate emergency

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I've never really been into politics so forgive me if the answer is obvious but why do we need 24 mhks?

Tradition. Pretty much the answer to any "why do we have" question on the Island. 

12 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Illustrating exactly the problem we face.

For me, not voting will have nothing to do with apathy. I am perfectly willing to go to the polling station to cast a vote. The problem is that there is nothing to vote for. No competent candidates with any record of achievement; no candidates standing on a deliverable manifesto to reform or change the current political system and, what is worse, no candidates who actually stand on a broad range of policy that they are committed to and will undertake to deliver.

Time and time again elections here have proven to be a beauty contest featuring contestants who are either ugly, plain or masked. You cast a vote and hope for the best. It is no longer worthy of my engagement or endorsement. It's democracy Jim, but not as we know it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I've never really been into politics so forgive me if the answer is obvious but why do we need 24 mhks?

Jesus thommo. Get on that morning boat. Don't pass go and don't collect £200!! :D

Here's the wiki

The oldest known reference to the name is in a document of 1417, written by an English scholar in Latin, which refers to Claves Mann (the ‘Keys of Mann’) and Claves Legis (the ‘Keys of Law’). There is a dispute, however, over the origin of the name. The word keys is thought by some to be an English corruption of a form of the Norse verb kjósa (‘to choose’). However, a more likely explanation is that it is a mishearing of the Manx-language term for ‘four and twenty’: kiare as feed (['ciːəs 'fid]), the House having always had 24 members. The Manx-language name of the House remains Yn Kiare as Feed (‘The Four and Twenty’).

Here's what the official page says https://www.tynwald.org.im/links/tls/TC/Pages/C4.aspx

• Haha 1