What an amazing person!

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It’s a terrible crime and I’m not trying to distract from that, but you see reformed gang members setup charities like this all the time and they haven’t even been found guilty for half of what they’ve actually done, they see charity as their way of paying back for their sins.

There is no coming back from hiding a body and conspiring to sink it in a lake. I can accept many, many crims regret what they have done, but don’t go on to publicize themselves for being reformed and passing the blame the mental health services. Just saying. 
Purely a personal view.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Has he ever expressed an interest or intention to stand? Would he want, voluntarily, to put himself in the toxic environment that is Manx politics? If he did stand, then it’s up to the elect

Started by Ashie 😂

Thanks for clearing that up, Neil.

26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

There is no coming back from hiding a body and conspiring to sink it in a lake. I can accept many, many crims regret what they have done, but don’t go on to publicize themselves for being reformed and passing the blame the mental health services. Just saying. 
Purely a personal view.

I would like to discuss this further but I can’t without coming across as disrespectful to the poor girls family so I will have to leave it there, I don’t know the full circumstances and I would imagine the family would rather it be laid to rest.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Declan said:

Don't vote for him then.

To be honest, it looks like he's achieving more than he ever could in Tynwald.

He's not part of Tynwald...

Without going into the who, whats and whyfores, that anyone can find with Google, whilst it doesn't undo or excuse any previous crimes, he has served his time and is now trying to make a positive impact on society.

Mental health is a massive issue these days, regardless of the causes, visibility or attitudes that people may have towards it. Having myself been at the mercy of the Manx services a number of years ago, any improvement would be greatly welcomed.

19 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Purely a personal view.

If you look at the re-offending rates where offenders are solely punished vs those where the offenders are given the skills they need to integrate back into society, you'll see that actually, the former, very American approach doesn't work. I'm sure you'll probably find that actually, mental health, living conditions and life skills make a huge impact on how likely you are to be involved in the first place too.

Surely, it's a far better use of time, space, taxpayer money and so on to help people change and integrate. Publicising that is is possible could well change the path of one person, if not more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@AcousticallyChallenged

Please can you stop from posting very sensible comments that absolutely undermine some of the small minded, stigmatised and prejudiced views and opinions normally found prevalent in society.

What's done is done and he has paid more than just a prison sentence. It had a much wider devastating impact on all the families involved, including his own.

Finally, there are those in DHSC and in mental health services who would rather see the progress he has made, and that is considerable believe me, now stopped dead in its tracks as it calls so much of their activities into question.

• Like 2

Has he ever expressed an interest or intention to stand?

Would he want, voluntarily, to put himself in the toxic environment that is Manx politics?

If he did stand, then it’s up to the electorate in the constituency he is nominated in.

Why are we even discussing this?

Ive no idea how effective Quing is. Ive no idea how good training is or how well it’s run. I’ve no idea if there is any assessment of its effectiveness? I’ve no idea if it’s possible to measure effectiveness of Victim Support, Motiv8, Alcoholics Anonymous,  Samaritans, Quing?

But he’s got off his arse, turned his life around, and he’s trying to help others. We should be pleased for him and those he helps

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Would he want, voluntarily, to put himself in the toxic environment that is Manx politics?

If he did stand, then it’s up to the electorate in the constituency he is nominated in.

None of the above. Not interested in any of that. Fact. 

Yes, this thread is mostly mean, except for my lovely friends’ contributions ofc. I know of people who champion Quing, so it must be effective. Good luck to him & well done for making a change in his fortune - not everyone has the courage to do that.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, John Wright said:

Ive no idea how effective Quing is. Ive no idea how good training is or how well it’s run. I’ve no idea if there is any assessment of its effectiveness? I’ve no idea if it’s possible to measure effectiveness of Victim Support, Motiv8, Alcoholics Anonymous,  Samaritans, Quing?

But he’s got off his arse, turned his life around, and he’s trying to help others. We should be pleased for him and those he helps

That is very true John, and we are unaware these days of the cases of suicide which seem to go unreported in the media compared to a few years ago. I was told, on good authority, that there were 20 suicides and attempted suicides during the last lockdown. There is without doubt a need for the groups you mention, and a better, more responsive mental health and drug rehabilitation service. 

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That is very true John, and we are unaware these days of the cases of suicide which seem to go unreported in the media compared to a few years ago. I was told, on good authority, that there were 20 suicides and attempted suicides during the last lockdown. There is without doubt a need for the groups you mention, and a better, more responsive mental health and drug rehabilitation service. 

I think there is more awareness about reporting of suicides among the media nowadays and they tend to downplay some aspects for fear of triggering a copycat effect among those who are already vulnerable.  So it will be less prominent and involve less speculation - and of course there's very little reporting of inquests nowadays anyway.

I've seen this about suicides in the last lockdown mentioned before, but no real evidence relating to it.  In any case using "suicides and attempted suicides" is problematic because we don't have figures for such things  -  and how do you classify and assess what is an attempted suicide?  We know that the 'normal' suicide rate for the Isle of Man is around 10 per 100,000 people (similar to England's) but not how many fail to kill themselves.

For what it's worth initial studies from around the world suggest that suicide rates did not increase with lockdown and may have even dropped in some places (though there may be a 'rebound' effect).