Ministers conflict of interest

Corrupt practices, corrupt systems, government 'grants' and tax loopholes, biddable government officials, fast-tracked procedures, no questions asked....

This has been IOM Government's USP for decades and it's all mostly all been legal. Because without transparency, accountability, oversight, proper judicial scrutiny, consequences, or any real democracy you can get away with almost anything, whether it's strictly legal or not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's only one solution to this mystery, an unpalatable one for sure. Someone is going to have to go buy the paper.   

I wasn't criticising, I just wanted to put up the Commissioner's statement.  The Cabinet Office response was quite extraordinary; basically saying that because the Ministers were people, any decisions

Until there is an offence of misconduct in a public office, Manx officials will not give the consequences a second thought

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Strange, isn't it? We bend over backwards (or forwards in the case of some) to attract HNWs here and accommodate their every whim. Then we have to spend huge amounts of public money prosecuting and jailing a number of them when it transpires that they're not quite the philanthropic benefactors that we were assured that they were by our leaders at the time.

It's almost as though HNWIs are attracted to us as a tax haven and not because they just love the horse trams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
49 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Corrupt practices, corrupt systems, government 'grants' and tax loopholes, biddable government officials, fast-tracked procedures, no questions asked....

This has been IOM Government's USP for decades and it's all mostly all been legal. Because without transparency, accountability, oversight, proper judicial scrutiny, consequences, or any real democracy you can get away with almost anything, whether it's strictly legal or not.

Don't forget though, there's the majority of the population so tame and indifferent it's no questions asked. For decades, as you said. Passive enablement...

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Until there is an offence of misconduct in a public office, Manx officials will not give the consequences a second thought

Richard Corkill?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

"Very historical" says Skelly, so that's OK then.

Of course in Skellyworld that means ‘over 20 minutes ago’.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Of course in Skellyworld that means ‘over 20 minutes ago’.

I can’t be bothered grafting Skelly’s face onto a gif of Dory from Finding Nemo, so you’ll just have to use your imagination, sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

If I recall he was arrested for fraud issues. The misconduct offence, if it existed would have, in my opinion hovered up a good few of these cases over the years.

this is a few years old, but worth a read. How much has changed? 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/chasing-a-manx-tale-1.1170605 

To be fair, anything quoting Bernard Moffatt or Mark Kermode (lol) as authorities on anything other than dressing themselves is going to be questionable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

To be fair, anything quoting Bernard Moffatt or Mark Kermode (lol) as authorities on anything other than dressing themselves is going to be questionable.

Is the article factually incorrect? Or does it paint an inaccurate impression generally? 

The OP IOM press article (in particular the comments from the former minister on why this application should be granted) are just another little snap shot of how the planning system works on the IOM if you have enough money. It's been that way for as long as people with money have been arriving on these shores. There are many many other examples. Several I can think of that aren't even buried - the details are all available to the public if you go looking through the files of certain applications that got dismissed by independent inspectors and then pushed through by ministers or Co-Min. That part was not illegal or even frowned upon by most, indeed I think there was an attempt to formalise it in the last program for government wasn't there? The point, as someone else has made above, is that the majority don't care. Presumably it is accepted as a cost of our general level of sedation comfort. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

If I recall he was arrested for fraud issues. The misconduct offence, if it existed would have, in my opinion hovered up a good few of these cases over the years.

this is a few years old, but worth a read. How much has changed? 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/chasing-a-manx-tale-1.1170605 

Abuse of planning and misuse of grant monies in respect of a holiday cottage development wasn't it? And being in possession of an obnoxious wife?

Interesting to find out who lives in that house though.  I often walk past it on the coastal footpath from Port Greanugh. 

It's a damn impressive building.  You actually have to walk down their drive a little bit before the footpath turns off to skirt around the house. 

Funny that one of the reasons for approval is the benefit to the exchequer of £466k.  Bearing in mind this couple are now being busted for vat fraud, I wonder if this was ever actually received. 

12 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Interesting to find out who lives in that house though.  I often walk past it on the coastal footpath from Port Greanugh. 

It's a damn impressive building.  You actually have to walk down their drive a little bit before the footpath turns off to skirt around the house. 

Funny that one of the reasons for approval is the benefit to the exchequer of £466k.  Bearing in mind this couple are now being busted for vat fraud, I wonder if this was ever actually received. 

Personally I'm all for moves like this. There should always be an economic consideration and I doubt any minister could predict someone to be a VAT fraudster. I'm sure we have attracted many good apples, there's always going to be a rotten one or two.

I think the fact they are being done for VAT fraud just makes the story more impactive and its unnecessary to link the two.