Ministers conflict of interest

Banker

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It may be that they are too honest and went about things the right way.

For many of the worst abuses (and it was certainly a feature of the Meary Voar case) people just act illegally without permission and no enforcement takes place because those who are paid to monitor and enforce the law simply can't be bothered.  This applies to officers, legal officers and politicians.

It's a mixture of complete laziness and unwillingness to offend the powerful or those thought to be.  So bullies  flourish simply because they behave badly and those paid to stand up to them don't.  Sometimes they compensate by being unfair on those who don't behave badly, like someone bullied at work who goes home and beats up his kids.

There was the case of the guy who stupidly built too many holiday cottages on his property recently, Marlow Construction. They made him tear them down apparently. He was a HNW but not the right kind obviously, he liked the TT and suchlike so they feel more comfortable bullying his class into submission. To be fair, the planning department have done some very underhand things to some well off people too. I know of one who has given up investing in the island over the way that he has been treated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have said before that our politicians get starry-eyed in the face of important/wealthy people.  They also have a strong desire to seek glory, coupled with their narcissistic egos.  The important/wealthy people on the other hand, know precisely what they want to achieve, and dealing with our politicians is usually like shooting fish in a barrel.

We should never forget Mount Murray.  The subject of this thread is a recent example.  In between, rumours swirled about the sale of the Nunnery, the business dealings of the Hooded Ram geezer etc.  In all cases, I am sure that one or more ministers became credulous spokesmen for the important/wealthy folk and in doing so lost all perspective of what was really going on.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There was the case of the guy who stupidly built too many holiday cottages on his property recently, Marlow Construction. They made him tear them down apparently. He was a HNW but not the right kind obviously, he liked the TT and suchlike so they feel more comfortable bullying his class into submission. To be fair, the planning department have done some very underhand things to some well off people too. I know of one who has given up investing in the island over the way that he has been treated. 

One?  There are loads pulling out, not only the planning department that are annoying them. Governement in general are doing a grand job of turning people away having already done the hard part of getting them here in the first place.

21 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

One?  There are loads pulling out, not only the planning department that are annoying them. Governement in general are doing a grand job of turning people away having already done the hard part of getting them here in the first place.

It's a big problem.

One guy I know - just as an example - relocated here 3-4 years ago under lots of promises from DfE (DED for you old timers), Gov even paid for him to live in Coutts House for 6 months+ when he arrived here.

When he finally became operational, Gov backtracked a lot and very little of the promised support came to fruition unless he offered up assets as security. It wasn't a ridiculous amount they'd promised either, in comparison to the level of investment in bringing his business to the Island and making jobs.

It happens, a lot.

Edited by jaymann

1 minute ago, jaymann said:

It's a big problem.

One guy I know - just as an example - relocated here 3-4 years ago under lots of promises from DfE (DED for you old timers), Gov even paid for him to live in Coutts House for 6 months+ when he arrived here.

When he finally became operational, Gov backtracked a lot and vey little of the promised support came to fruition unless he offered up assets as security. It wasn't a ridiculous amount they'd promised either, in comparison to the level of investment in bringing his business to the Island and making jobs.

It happens, a lot.

What???

Sorry to come to the party late, but I’ve only just read the report. Jaw-dropping. Why is Skelly still in a job? What is Quayle thinking in not responding to this abject personal and professional failure by one of his Ministers?

And well played to the author. What a well written document.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Sorry to come to the party late, but I’ve only just read the report. Jaw-dropping. Why is Skelly still in a job? What is Quayle thinking in not responding to this abject personnel and professional failure by one of his Ministers?

And well played to the author. What a well written document.

Skelly is in a job for same reason Cregeen, Harmer & boot are , they support everything Howie says 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Sorry to come to the party late, but I’ve only just read the report. Jaw-dropping. Why is Skelly still in a job? What is Quayle thinking in not responding to this abject personnel and professional failure by one of his Ministers?

How many other abject and professional failures has he made since he's been in office, and not had any accountability for?

The Mount Murray findings were arguably worse and Bell didn't go so there's little likelihood of any action being taken over this?

The length of time it was buried under refusal of FOI suggests other people could be implicated IMHO...look at the administration it went on under and draw your own.....

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes but the question is why should we pay for it in the first place??

Because our Govt has a long-established penchant for throwing our money in the direction of those who already have lots of their own?

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Because our Govt has a long-established penchant for throwing our money in the direction of those who already have lots of their own?

They have more history of throwing money at con men who pretend they have money  but know how to blow smoke up the MHKs arses.

It is embarrassing the way they suck up to money, I have first hand  experience of this with what went on at the new private hangar at Ronaldsway that the "VAT couple" built. Whatever they wanted they got, "keep him happy" was what I was told. 

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1