On 1/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, John Wright said:

I’d forgotten about Chris. They were heavy drinking. Didn’t he buy the Mansion House opposite Spring Valley and have his own restaurant on site?

He did, apparently at their first wedding event, he decided to relieve himself in a cloud of steam into the log fire the wedding party had gathered around. When the best man objected he got a broken nose for his trouble! Lots of stories but I got on really well with him for some reason.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not one for boxed sets or binge watching. TV is in the background whilst I do other things, mainly. Like radio was as a kid. But this week I’ve watched the first episode of something new on TV and

Don’t imagine for one minute that Miles and CoMin stood tall and pushed anything through out of any sense of doing the right thing for the LGBTQ community. Apart from Hazel Hannan, Peter Karran and Al

John's post reminds us that this is the way we've always moved forward; not by our own evolving democracy, but being dragged by the heels like a donkey, and shamed into action by outside influence and

Posted Images

On 1/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

Probably could've made Chief Minister if it hadn't been for his homophobia... 

Talking of CM, the way Miles Walker stood tall to push through legalization in the face of Quine’s poisonous behaviour directed at him illustrated the gulf in quality between the two men. Walker a leader, Quine a venomous, nasty bigot. 

• Like 4

I've watched 3 episodes of this and it's the most brilliant, funny, heartbreaking series I've watched in ages. I lived in London in the early 80s and had a lot of gay friends.    It's a Sin has captured the spirit of the age perfectly I think.  Much as I'm enjoying it though, underneath it all, there's a seam of anger against the Government of the day for the ignorance, prejudice  and ill treatment perpetuated by them and further illustrated by the adoption of Clause 28.    I'm watching the other 2 tonight and preparing for an ugly cry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Talking of CM, the way Miles Walker stood tall to push through legalization in the face of Quine’s poisonous behaviour directed at him illustrated the gulf in quality between the two men. Walker a leader, Quine a venomous, nasty bigot. 

Don’t imagine for one minute that Miles and CoMin stood tall and pushed anything through out of any sense of doing the right thing for the LGBTQ community. Apart from Hazel Hannan, Peter Karran and Alan Bell, every one ( apart from the two or three gay candidates ) was vociferously against law change in the 1991 general election. Most of them shared the views of Quine, and expressed them. Delaney, Gelling, Cannan, Quine, even Walker.

Then, after the election they were sat down by the Governor, and the Whitehall mandarin responsible, and told, change the law. We won’t defend you at the ECHR. If you don’t change we will change your law by Act of Parliament. Then to drive it home they explained how that would affect international confidence in the much vaunted independence of the Island. Something that would have meant the financial services sector would have fled, to anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I wasn't living on the IOM in 1991 (left in 1982, returned 1997) so I hadn't heard about this before.   It's appalling that this had to happen before a change was made.  But unfortunately, not surprising. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Don’t imagine for one minute that Miles and CoMin stood tall and pushed anything through out of any sense of doing the right thing for the LGBTQ community. Apart from Hazel Hannan, Peter Karran and Alan Bell, every one ( apart from the two or three gay candidates ) was vociferously against law change in the 1991 general election. Most of them shared the views of Quine, and expressed them. Delaney, Gelling, Cannan, Quine, even Walker.

Then, after the election they were sat down by the Governor, and the Whitehall mandarin responsible, and told, change the law. We won’t defend you at the ECHR. If you don’t change we will change your law by Act of Parliament. Then to drive it home they explained how that would affect international confidence in the much vaunted independence of the Island. Something that would have meant the financial services sector would have fled, to anywhere.

I accept all that John - it’s not a surprise or new, but Miles Walker still faced completely unacceptable personal vilification from Quine for addressing, as you say, a matter that government was obliged to take forward.

• Like 1

John's post reminds us that this is the way we've always moved forward; not by our own evolving democracy, but being dragged by the heels like a donkey, and shamed into action by outside influence and pressure. And all the while selling to the world our model thousand year democracy and international money haven, with its quaint ceremonies and customs.  

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

John's post reminds us that this is the way we've always moved forward; not by our own evolving democracy, but being dragged by the heels like a donkey, and shamed into action by outside influence and pressure. And all the while selling to the world our model thousand year democracy and international money haven, with its quaint ceremonies and customs.  

The problem has always been that when IOM has decided to draw a line in the sand over its relationship with the UK it has always been on issues it can’t hope to win. Wrong issues. Wrong advice. Wrong stance.

Things like international conventions/treaties/requirements. Marine Broadcasting, Birching, decriminalisation of gay sex, transparency and open registers of ownership.

But you’ve got to recognise that it has been a leader, votes for women, women’s right to own property, civil partnerships for opposite sex couples. The list is long. I’ve chosen from the start and finish of a 150 year time span.

Its hard to reconcile.

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I've just seen I can watch 'It's a Sin' on catchup. Thanks for the heads up John.  That's tonight sorted.

You will find it hard to watch just one episode. 

According to Gef, Richie is based on Dursley McLinden, perhaps why the other thread was started? If it is true, I love the way Richie is from our identity nemesis, the Isle of Wight!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gladys said:

According to Gef, Richie is based on Dursley McLinden, perhaps why the other thread was started? If it is true, I love the way Richie is from our identity nemesis, the Isle of Wight!

Firstly, ‘Identity Nemesis’ simply has to be a six part mystery thriller set on the IOM, so get writing the series synopsis. Secondly, if each of us as an individual also has an ‘identity nemesis’ I wonder where mine is...’Dark’ Uhtred....or am I Dark Uhtred....whooo!

• Haha 1
On 1/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, John Wright said:

Yes. Mr Bagassi. I liked him. But I really hate people standing at the end of the table talking whilst I’m eating, even if it’s in an extreme comedy Italian accent with every third word a profanity.

And helping himself to (copious amounts of) your wine which you paid him for!

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And helping himself to (copious amounts of) your wine which you paid him for!

We kept the wine on the table by the window and poured ourselves. Once bitten and all that...