Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not one for boxed sets or binge watching. TV is in the background whilst I do other things, mainly. Like radio was as a kid. But this week I’ve watched the first episode of something new on TV and

Don’t imagine for one minute that Miles and CoMin stood tall and pushed anything through out of any sense of doing the right thing for the LGBTQ community. Apart from Hazel Hannan, Peter Karran and Al

John's post reminds us that this is the way we've always moved forward; not by our own evolving democracy, but being dragged by the heels like a donkey, and shamed into action by outside influence and

Posted Images

On 1/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, John Wright said:

The problem has always been that when IOM has decided to draw a line in the sand over its relationship with the UK it has always been on issues it can’t hope to win. Wrong issues. Wrong advice. Wrong stance.

Things like international conventions/treaties/requirements. Marine Broadcasting, Birching, decriminalisation of gay sex, transparency and open registers of ownership.

But you’ve got to recognise that it has been a leader, votes for women, women’s right to own property, civil partnerships for opposite sex couples. The list is long. I’ve chosen from the start and finish of a 150 year time span.

Its hard to reconcile.

I was astonished when I moved here 18 years ago to find that abortion was illegal. It took a brave man in Dr Allinson to get that changed, for which I admire him greatly.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 6:49 PM, quilp said:

Ah, the sound of a distant trumpet. And a bagpipe or three..

I was getting confused there.  I thought you were saying that I was watching Quilp when he was in a band.  I thought you knew something that I didn't.

'It's a Sin' was so good. I don't watch much TV at all and very rarely programmes like this.   I only put it on out of a little curiosity and with some prejudice that I wouldn't enjoy it because I've never been mad on the idiocratic storytelling done in Queer As Folk, Doctor Who and other programmes by the same writer.   I also didn't realise it was about AIDs. 

It didn't all feel very close to home in a way because although I didn't live in those times the characters seemed very real.  Already by the fire episode I wanted to see each character do well, be happier and be gay.  And I think that's what made this programme work so well because that is taken away.  Things reach a peak of excitement and wonder and then there is so much pain and sadness.

And although I knew about AIDs and a fair amount of LGBT history, I've never seen anything on the TV or on film like it from a very British perspective. 

The last episode really stuck with me for a week or so afterward.  I kept dwelling on how many young men from that time died at a time when they had only just found their...place in society amongst their friends and loved ones.  It just doesn't seem fair. 

Whereas I wouldn't have been moved by an AIDs vigil because my sense of connection or understanding wasn't strong, I know if I attended a vigil now I would feel very differently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the island next year in retirement.  We are in our 50s retired professionals and will quietly fit in.   I got a sharp jib from my other post that they quickly edited,  is the island welcoming?

Edited by Simon D
On 2/22/2021 at 1:09 AM, Simon D said:

Oh lucky me I have my lovely manxtaxpayer Again.  My very own troll yeh.

Again? Aren't you new here, er, Simon? 😄

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, quilp said:

Again? Aren't you new here, er, Simon? 😄

Twice on his first day, two different threads. MTP deleted the first one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Twice on his first day, two different threads. MTP deleted the first one.

MTP's response here is to Simon D moaning about the first deleted post on the other thread.

Who's trolling who?

21 minutes ago, quilp said:

I remember when Simon was the next big thing. The e-type jag, the dolly-birds in feather boas and ring of confidence. 

Didn’t age well, tho.

B319D0A4-FAA1-4B99-B889-A6018BC495F1.jpeg

Looks like he might still have a sheepskin jacket, by the collar. Probably just as well we can't see the rest of it....