It’s a Sin

John Wright

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:22 PM, quilp said:

If it was the very early days I probably cooked it and served the wine. It was a haunt of the inimitable Chris Kingston and his crew, when they were in it was a riot. 

I wouldn't say we rioted - we just had a good time

On 1/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, Max Power said:

He did, apparently at their first wedding event, he decided to relieve himself in a cloud of steam into the log fire the wedding party had gathered around. When the best man objected he got a broken nose for his trouble! Lots of stories but I got on really well with him for some reason.

Fake News I'm affraid................

On 1/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, John Wright said:

I think he’d been banned from the Exec Club at the Palace, and one or two, or more, licensed premises.

Evidence please John ......

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I wouldn't say we rioted - we just had a good time

You did. Actually, the appearance of that (your) crew would lift the spirits on a slow night, it broke the monotony of head-scratching fuss-pots, Steve's endless anecdotes and back-to-back Shakatak. A bit of good-natured joshing and boister would be had. Kingston squash-partnered with my brother so I qualified for extra stick but it was funny, and nothing behind it. And of course, the often lugubrious owner, after numerous prompts to me to "ask them to quieten-down over there" would brighten-up come bill time. Kingston would then write out a cheque and often added a rider after the payee line- "and not one single, snivelling penny more!" or just "begrudgingly" and those cheques were never returned by the bank. He once intimated, on his way out, that he'd left me a gratuity, I found a fiver placed discreetly under a half-eaten burger as I shovelled into the bin. 

All good fun...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

You did. Actually, the appearance of that (your) crew would lift the spirits on a slow night, it broke the monotony of head-scratching fuss-pots, Steve's endless anecdotes and back-to-back Shakatak. A bit of good-natured joshing and boister would be had. Kingston squash-partnered with my brother so I qualified for extra stick but it was funny, and nothing behind it. And of course, the often lugubrious owner, after numerous prompts to me to "ask them to quieten-down over there" would brighten-up come bill time. Kingston would then write out a cheque and often added a rider after the payee line- "and not one single, snivelling penny more!" or just "begrudgingly" and those cheques were never returned by the bank. He once intimated, on his way out, that he'd left me a gratuity, I found a fiver placed discreetly under a half-eaten burger as I shovelled into the bin. 

All good fun...

Actually no we didn't - We had many "fun" nights over twenty four years however "riots" were left to others.... generosity maybe...

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Actually no we didn't - We had many "fun" nights over twenty four years however "riots" were left to others.... generosity maybe...

It’s possible you’re thinking of the word ‘riot’ bit too literally there Phil. 

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, John Wright said:

I’d forgotten about Chris. They were heavy drinking. Didn’t he buy the Mansion House opposite Spring Valley and have his own restaurant on site?

I was reminded of Chris Kingston today,   I have vague memories of him and a gang that included Patrick Diamond.  Were they just friends or also business associates?  I have a recollection that Mr Diamond was linked with some pretty high profile naughty stuff. 

Whatever happened to them? 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I was reminded of Chris Kingston today,   I have vague memories of him and a gang that included Patrick Diamond.  Were they just friends or also business associates?  I have a recollection that Mr Diamond was linked with some pretty high profile naughty stuff. 

Kingston pegged it years ago. Last time I saw PD he was jogging along the prom accompanied by 2 Special Branch officers. At the time it was alleged he'd been working with the FBI on money-laundering and wire-theft allegations in the US. That must've been 20 years ago nearly. Can't help you Gladys... 

Edited by quilp
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, quilp said:

Kingston pegged it years ago. Last time I saw PD he was jogging along the prom accompanied by 2 Special Branch officers. At the time it was alleged he'd been working with the FBI on money-laundering and wire-theft allegations in the US. That must've been 20 years ago nearly. Can't help you Gladys... 

Ta.  So PD may still be around. 

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

My recollection is PD did a plea deal for laundering £600,000 of Brinksmat. Did 15 months. Then was in Florida.

Last time I came across the name he was a trustee of an ex prisoner charity.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My recollection is PD did a plea deal for laundering £600,000 of Brinksmat. Did 15 months. Then was in Florida.

Last time I came across the name he was a trustee of an ex prisoner charity.

Yes, I have found the same.  It was just idle curiosity because I remember PD and CK as pretty colourful and wondered what became of them both.  

ETA The PD of the charity was born in 1974 so not the same person. 

Edited by Gladys