Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Leicester University to 'decolonise' English

I think you've made the point here John why many are uncomfortable about the decolonisation of literature. That post you've just made is politics from start to finish, as is decolonisation. I'd also argue that it's less about embracing multi-culturalism as rewriting or even cancelling Britain's own indigenous culture and history. We've seen the same with the BLM radicals: It's not enough to raise awareness of black culture and history; they have to tear down and destroy white culture in the process. That's what this is really about. These people won't even give Shakespeare a free ride - it's all got to go and they've started in the universities already.  

• Like 4
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you've made the point here John why many are uncomfortable about the decolonisation of literature. That post you've just made is politics from start to finish, as is decolonisation. I'd also a

But why is there a need for racial overtones? Chaucer is virtually the beginning of the English language as we now know it, surely any study of English literature begins with his works. The later dive

Many British colonies of the past embraced 'The Great Tradition' of English literature: the USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand; India; colonial Africa; the Caribbean etc. Countries from South America

50 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I think you've made the point here John why many are uncomfortable about the decolonisation of literature. That post you've just made is politics from start to finish, as is decolonisation. I'd also argue that it's less about embracing multi-culturalism as rewriting or even cancelling Britain's own indigenous culture and history. We've seen the same with the BLM radicals: It's not enough to raise awareness of black culture and history; they have to tear down and destroy white culture in the process. That's what this is really about. These people won't even give Shakespeare a free ride - it's all got to go and they've started in the universities already.  

I don't think we're so much tearing down and cancelling English/colonial culture, as much as pointing out that, whilst great for the Empire, we were effectively screwing over a wide range of indigenous populations.

History isn't black and white, but, as a progressive society, we should become more, not less able to look at it from a range of viewpoints.

Pulling down old statues of slave drivers isn't going to upset them or their families, they're long dead. But what it does do is make us reflect on the mistakes and human cost  of the past.

What exactly are we losing or eroding?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes. It makes the point.

English is a universal language, with many versions and dialects. Do you want the study of English to be limited to the product of 50 million Englishmen and their geographic white  linguistic ancestors?

Or should it embrace the Scots, Irish, Americans, Canadians, Australians, Indians, Pakistani, Caribbean, East, West and South Africans who write in English as a first language, whatever their origin, or those who write in English despite it being a second language?

Its exactly the same as BLM for that matter, in my opinion. If you feel uncomfortable it’s because you are insecure and want certainty. But there is no certainty in how history has been recorded and presented or how literature presents and what it’s written about.

It’s all about interpretation. If someone finds it difficult to accept that Colston was a slaver, that the money that made Liverpool, Lancaster, Bristol, London was made from the trade in human beings, or believes that it isn’t tied in to white privilege and entitlement, then no doubt they’ll find comfort in perceived historic certainties and realities. 

But why is there a need for racial overtones? Chaucer is virtually the beginning of the English language as we now know it, surely any study of English literature begins with his works. The later diversifications are not foundational and whilst having merit are part of further reading, rather than the basis of our language. 

To me this just smacks of an agenda, to substitute one identity for another? 

• Like 3

Many British colonies of the past embraced 'The Great Tradition' of English literature: the USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand; India; colonial Africa; the Caribbean etc. Countries from South America to Japan have all absorbed the English literary heritage. It was one of our greatest 'exports' to the world. They all then developed and expanded their own indigenous literature and produced much of the finest fiction of the modern era. They didn't trash the great English literature of the past; that started with the cultural Marxism and liberation ideologies of the 1960s, which morphed into the identity politics and culture war that's eating away at our heritage and history today.

They're winning too...     

• Like 3

I hold no brief for Rod Liddle but his amusing take on this in today’s Sunday Times is entitled ‘Obsessives seeing evil everywhere’. 

4 hours ago, Len Trench said:

I hold no brief for Rod Liddle but his amusing take on this in today’s Sunday Times is entitled ‘Obsessives seeing evil everywhere’. 

It's a wonder he didn't find any evil in punching his 20 week pregnant girlfriend.

Even when I was at university, the consumerist model of education was slowly creeping in. Give the customers students what they want.

Who's teaching who ? The whole idea of what Education is has been completely turned upside down in my lifetime.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, Max Power said:

What on earth is going on in the minds of these people?

On 1/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, Max Power said:

What exactly does decolonisation consist of and who benefits from it?

On 1/23/2021 at 5:57 PM, Max Power said:

e) What does decolonisation mean when referring to English literature? 

Do you often get upset about something and then ask what that thing is?

• Like 2
On 1/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The simple question I would ask about is: are the University changing their syllabus to reflect what the students are asking to learn about?

On 1/25/2021 at 11:20 AM, Shake me up Judy said:

Even when I was at university, the consumerist model of education was slowly creeping in. Give the customers students what they want.

Who's teaching who ? The whole idea of what Education is has been completely turned upside down in my lifetime.

It does seem that way, "we want to learn about things but only if you teach it in a way which conforms to our views." 

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 11:20 AM, Shake me up Judy said:

When I went to Uni, which was less than two decades ago, there was none of this. Perhaps its not my generation demanding changes to suit them...