TT 2022 ??

Barlow

I've tried to watch MotoE, the motorcycling version of Formula E, and although the actual racing seems ok, the technical side is missing somewhat. All the bikes are manufactured by the same Italian manufacturer and they just about get going and the flag goes out after a few laps as the batteries are running flat. 

Formula E seems to have some sort of following but mainly people going out for an experience rather than actual racing enthusiasts. Just bigger washing machines which have to be changed after a few laps. Sorry, not for me I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I've tried to watch MotoE, the motorcycling version of Formula E, and although the actual racing seems ok, the technical side is missing somewhat. All the bikes are manufactured by the same Italian manufacturer and they just about get going and the flag goes out after a few laps as the batteries are running flat. 

Formula E seems to have some sort of following but mainly people going out for an experience rather than actual racing enthusiasts. Just bigger washing machines which have to be changed after a few laps. Sorry, not for me I'm afraid. 

It isn't for anyone.

There again, F1 is actually so boring Formula E is more entertaining. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Given that whole point of such racing should be to drive technical improvements, you would hope that things could be set up to encourage such innovation between teams.  It does seem a missed opportunity.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

And what they did wrong with TT zero was chase speed rather than endurance. Should have made it a 3 lap race to push the manufacturers to develop that aspect, which is far more useful in the real world than lapping at over 100mph

Sensible suggestion - is it possible someone in DfE will take note of it?

14 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It would still be shit though.

Probably if you really willed it to be, it might be a bit 'meh', but it's the way things are going and a production Zero TT would be groundbreaking stuff.

The reason the TT for so many years was favoured by the manufacturers - and of course their customers - was that the Isle of Man TT was a test of accessible machines, in speed, reliability and endurance on real roads, and not just wizzing round some oval shaped text circuit.

Electric is the future, and just look at all the electric pushbikes knocking round these days.

When the Japanese came to the Isle of Man, there were many  disparaging remarks, but the demise of the 'real' British et al motorbikes was soon to follow.

I suppose it will take an electric bike to beat the internal combustion thingies before the naysayers see the light. That will happen.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Probably if you really willed it to be, it might be a bit 'meh', but it's the way things are going and a production Zero TT would be groundbreaking stuff.

The reason the TT for so many years was favoured by the manufacturers - and of course their customers - was that the Isle of Man TT was a test of accessible machines, in speed, reliability and endurance on real roads, and not just wizzing round some oval shaped text circuit.

Electric is the future, and just look at all the electric pushbikes knocking round these days.

When the Japanese came to the Isle of Man, there were many  disparaging remarks, but the demise of the 'real' British et al motorbikes was soon to follow.

I suppose it will take an electric bike to beat the internal combustion thingies before the naysayers see the light. That will happen.

Bike fans have no interest in electric bikes.  Same with cars.

Electric bikes as a method of getting round far east packed cities is fine.  But they won't be replacing 600cc or 1000cc sports bikes any time soon.

I won't be chopping my sports bikes in for an electric bike.  Ever.

• Like 1

There aren't many new high performance cars coming on to market which are purely powered by internal combustion engines. Ferraris and McLarens are hybrids now. It's the way cars are going. In time the ICE will get smaller and the electric bit will get bigger. Even F1 cars are hybrids. The fastest Le Mans cars are too.

The weight and bulk of batteries will slow that change down with bikes, but it's the way those will go too.

The trouble with TTZero was that Mugen were so well funded, so far ahead of everyone else, that nobody else stood a chance.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

There aren't many new high performance cars coming on to market which are purely powered by internal combustion engines. Ferraris and McLarens are hybrids now. It's the way cars are going. In time the ICE will get smaller and the electric bit will get bigger. Even F1 cars are hybrids.

The weight and bulk of batteries will slow that change down with bikes, but it's the way those will go too.

The trouble with TTZero was that Mugen were so well funded, so far ahead of everyone else, that nobody else stood a chance.

Most of the hybrid super car stuff is a token gesture.  It'll take a long time for electric cars to be mainstream.  Thankfully.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Bike fans have no interest in electric bikes.  Same with cars.

Electric bikes as a method of getting round far east packed cities is fine.  But they won't be replacing 600cc or 1000cc sports bikes any time soon.

I won't be chopping my sports bikes in for an electric bike.  Ever.

How many Bike fans laughed at tinny jap crap all those years ago (me for a start).

During my born again biker days I went for a Japanese superbike and I never looked back. All plastic and 120bhp.

Evolution will always win the day and it's moving fast. Covid is accelerating it.

Keep your sports bike in good nick and in 20 years time you can park it up outside Bushy's Village and have the next generation wonder at how bikers back in the day used to get about.