Jump to content

TT 2022 ??


Barlow
 Share

Recommended Posts

Actually, I'd prefer you didn't. Installing 37 miles of armco to fractionally improve outcomes in a small number of specific types of impact is a very stupid idea. Just use slower bike classes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'd want to see statistics on where the serious crashes have been happening before suggesting course changes,

The CoC/ motorsport team /TTMA ltd demonstrably do not wish to see statistics on serious crashes  given that after 5 "offs" @ 'Casey's" including 2 fatals ( 2014 & 2018) they still refuse to even discuss the installation of air fencing .

Similarly after 4 "offs" @ "Black Hut" ( 1 with 2 riders down and 1 with 3 riders ) where riders suffered severe lower leg injuries when coming into contact with the dwarf wall the CoC etc etc rejected the request to fix boarding to said wall.

Just saying😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, paswt said:

The CoC/ motorsport team /TTMA ltd demonstrably do not wish to see statistics on serious crashes  given that after 5 "offs" @ 'Casey's" including 2 fatals ( 2014 & 2018) they still refuse to even discuss the installation of air fencing .

Similarly after 4 "offs" @ "Black Hut" ( 1 with 2 riders down and 1 with 3 riders ) where riders suffered severe lower leg injuries when coming into contact with the dwarf wall the CoC etc etc rejected the request to fix boarding to said wall.

Just saying😡

The stats should probably be public domain given the Govt participation in the TT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The stats should probably be public domain given the Govt participation in the TT.

When I marshalled regularly, in the late 90's/noughties, there was a rudimentary table of incident locations, by year, in the back of the handbook which we were all given at that time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Did it show him sozzled abusing his wife or misogynistic racist homophobe Nick Crowe spouting rancid vitriol or Dan Sayle drunkenly punching his son in the Sulby Glen #Roadracingheroes

I'm well aware of this but it wasn't part of the programme nor would it be relevant to the topic being discussed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

So, @HeliX @Passing Time et al. 

If you can clear it up. How many deaths are acceptable/unfortunate in a fortnight?

Is it less than 10? Less than 15?

There isn't a number. Zero would be ideal, obviously. But there's a strong chance that there will be some. And given they all enter into it freely, and knowing what the outcome could be, I don't think it's my business to get in the way of it. I don't begrudge anyone entering into activities that are dangerous to themselves. If that's what makes their life happy and interesting, then that's their prerogative.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The stats should probably be public domain given the Govt participation in the TT.

Fatalities alone would be easy enough to compile from the Wiki record on course fatalities. And there'd be no shortage of local knowledge from marshals and local event enthusiasts to fill in the gaps on the serious injuries side of things, if push came to shove.

For them to say that they don't keep records is utter bollocks, all this is accountable as being public money. They'd just rather that it wasn't in the public domain.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding the stats...

The wiki list of fatalities includes the TT and MGP/Classic TT (or whatever it is branded as now).

2005 was the worst year on the course.

I am not 100% certain but haven't the number of fatalities per event remained fairly consistent since the races began?

That suggests that whilst speeds have increased there must have been some safety improvements otherwise I would have expected the number of fatalities to increase in line with the speed.

I also don't understand the argument about armco.  I think that armco and fencing would increase protection for spectators but I can't see it changing much for a rider.

Bikes simply don't have the ability to dissipate energy in the same way as a race car. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I am not 100% certain but haven't the number of fatalities per event remained fairly consistent since the races began?

That suggests that whilst speeds have increased there must have been some safety improvements otherwise I would have expected the number of fatalities to increase in line with the speed.

PPE and medical improvements, maybe. Not sure whether all of the apparent lack of increase can be attributed to those though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Fatalities alone would be easy enough to compile from the Wiki record on course fatalities. And there'd be no shortage of local knowledge from marshals and local event enthusiasts to fill in the gaps on the serious injuries side of things, if push came to shove.

For them to say that they don't keep records is utter bollocks, all this is accountable as being public money. They'd just rather that it wasn't in the public domain.

Of course there are records, it's ridiculous to say that. Every incident is investigated and apart from that, there is a complete record of everything that happens during the event, down to which flags are displayed where, which vehicles move and when etc etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paswt said:

The CoC/ motorsport team /TTMA ltd demonstrably do not wish to see statistics on serious crashes  given that after 5 "offs" @ 'Casey's" including 2 fatals ( 2014 & 2018) they still refuse to even discuss the installation of air fencing .

Similarly after 4 "offs" @ "Black Hut" ( 1 with 2 riders down and 1 with 3 riders ) where riders suffered severe lower leg injuries when coming into contact with the dwarf wall the CoC etc etc rejected the request to fix boarding to said wall.

Just saying😡

The TTMA are not political or anything of the sort. They provide training and marshals admin and sign of/tracking/allocation to enable the races to happen, as well as support to marshals post ‘incident’. Please don’t try and bring them to to some sort of conspiracy for hiding data or stats. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...