Jump to content

TT 2022 ??


Barlow
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sitting at home listening to celebratory fireworks. Having spent a fair proportion of today involved (indirectly)with the families of those involved in two tragic sidecar crashes, I feel totally empty. 

Edited by cheesypeas
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Small sample size, and often the slower classes are also the classes that have the more inexperienced riders. You're surely not suggesting that going considerably faster is safer?

I think i mentioned earlier my feeling about the lower powered machines needing to be ridden harder? It's the less talented riders who get caught out by this I feel, but they don't ride so hard on the larger capacity machines. The talented guys are more able to cope with riding the bigger bikes hard perhaps? I know I always found that I preferred the larger bikes for this reason, but then I'm not that talented!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

We think it's bad now but reading that - can you imagine that happening now? I white line above a raised drain?

Facebook would be all over that.

That white line was there for years.  I also remember the event that led to it, no less pleasant than the reported events of Saturday 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s lovely McGuinness has a camera on the back of his bike  this year.   
 

It lets you see great views of ALL the riders as they come up behind him to get past.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Both the solo fatalities this year are listed as being on 600s.

The vast majority of solo TT fatalities in the last 20 years have been on 1000cc machines.

17 out of a total of 63 course fatalities were on 1000cc bikes. Some of those I know were not related to the size of the machine, rather other factors. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That white line was there for years.  I also remember the event that led to it, no less pleasant than the reported events of Saturday 

 

1978....concerns were raised about the profile of a manhole cover after roadworks at the crest of the hill, during practice IIRC? They painted a long white line from the cover back up towards the Grandstand to warn competitors on their approach, sadly to no avail.

Over the winter of 78/79 the crest was reprofiled and Jock Taylor was brought in to carry out test runs using his outfit in early 79.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Sitting at home listening to celebratory fireworks. Having spend a fair proportion of today involved (indirectly)with the families of those involved in two tragic sidecar crashes, I feel totally empty. 

I’m sorry to hear that.

If it helps, I remember feeling the same when I lost a friend in a race a long time ago. Watching people still doing the normal TT fun stuff was an unreal experience. 
Take care of yourself. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Max Power said:

17 out of a total of 63 course fatalities were on 1000cc bikes. Some of those I know were not related to the size of the machine, rather other factors. 

Take out the MGP and sidecar fatalities though Max....it makes a huge difference.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Sitting at home listening to celebratory fireworks. Having spend a fair proportion of today involved (indirectly)with the families of those involved in two tragic sidecar crashes, I feel totally empty. 

Yes, a hollow feeling indeed. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I’m sorry to hear that.

If it helps, I remember feeling the same when I lost a friend in a race a long time ago. Watching people still doing the normal TT fun stuff was an unreal experience. 
Take care of yourself. 

Thank you. First time I’ve cried for years. 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Take out the MGP and sidecar fatalities though Max....it makes a huge difference.

Yeah that. I did a fagpacket count on just TT, just since 2000, and the 1000cc numbers were around double the 600cc numbers. Obviously someone who could be arsed could work out how many laps are run on each, how many competitors etc etc, but it passes a sniff test given that higher speeds = more lethality if you crash, and probably higher chance of crashing to start with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...