TT 2022 ??

Barlow

I am interested to know what the risk adverse posters views are on yesterdays British GP.

For anyone who doesn’t know the driver is fine.

In the first few seconds of the race a car flipped and skidded upside down into the gravel, which then caused it to flip and vault the tyre wall and hit the catch fencing infront of a grandstand,  the car got wedged with no way to easily get the driver out.  He was in there for quite a few minutes.

This highlighted the small risk that that can happen and a driver can be stuck in a car.  It also showed that a number of photographers were incredibly lucky not to be hurt.  In fact it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the car could have cleared the fence straight into a packed grandstand.

Now imagine if as with Marcus Gronholm a couple of years ago the car had caught fire.  The guy had no way of getting out and would literally have been toast.

They probably hadn’t considered that since an accident could occur but as at 15:05 yesterday afternoon they were aware of it, so should they have raced in regardless.  Who would have been liable if the same and worse happened again?

The race restarted an hour later with no changes having been made.

If you won’t like seeing cars crash, don’t click the YouTube link.

55D67758-71CF-445A-9F19-9625B296D6B3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

I am interested to know what the risk adverse posters views are on yesterdays British GP.

For anyone who doesn’t know the driver is fine.

In the first few seconds of the race a car flipped and skidded upside down into the gravel, which then caused it to flip and vault the tyre wall and hit the catch fencing infront of a grandstand,  the car got wedged with no way to easily get the driver out.  He was in there for quite a few minutes.

This highlighted the small risk that that can happen and a driver can be stuck in a car.  It also showed that a number of photographers were incredibly lucky not to be hurt.  In fact it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that the car could have cleared the fence straight into a packed grandstand.

Now imagine if as with Marcus Gronholm a couple of years ago the car had caught fire.  The guy had no way of getting out and would literally have been toast.

They probably hadn’t considered that since an accident could occur but as at 15:05 yesterday afternoon they were aware of it, so should they have raced in regardless.  Who would have been liable if the same and worse happened again?

The race restarted an hour later with no changes having been made.

If you won’t like seeing cars crash, don’t click the YouTube link.

55D67758-71CF-445A-9F19-9625B296D6B3.jpeg

5 deaths since 1982. Their safety record speaks for itself. 

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

5 deaths since 1982. Their safety record speaks for itself. 

And as usual, you completely miss the point.

Should they have restarted the race now knowing that there is a serious safety issue with that catch fencing in relation to the tyre wall, and the proximity of press all round the circuit?

I take it that you feel that was an acceptable risk and if during the restarted race similar had happened again and people been injured or killed you wouldn’t have an issue?

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

And as usual, you completely miss the point.

Should they have restarted the race now knowing that there is a serious safety issue with that catch fencing in relation to the tyre wall, and the proximity of press all round the circuit?

I take it that you feel that was an acceptable risk and if during the restarted race similar had happened again and people been injured or killed you wouldn’t have an issue?

They have team of highly competent professionals that deal with this type of thing week in week out. 

Silverstone is a circuit designed with safety measures in mind. 

They made a decision based on what they know. 

Just now, 0bserver said:

They have team of highly competent professionals that deal with this type of thing week in week out. 

Silverstone is a circuit designed with safety measures in mind. 

They made a decision based on what they know. 

As do they guys at the TT.

That could have been horrific yesterday for a number of reasons.  I don’t for one second think they had considered that someone could be trapped like that.  If the car had caught fire like Grojeans did the driver would have been burned alive in front of a grandstand full of people.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Lucky it was this season without the new halo system he’d have likely been screwed.

Or last season, or the season before that, or the two before that one.  Halos have already saved a number of lives including Lewis Hamilton and he was actually the second driver saved by one yesterday at silverstone

Edited by Youaintseenme

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Lucky it was this season without the new halo system he’d have likely been screwed.

Yes, Halo is a fantastic development.  It shows what can be achieved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

As do they guys at the TT.

That could have been horrific yesterday for a number of reasons.  I don’t for one second think they had considered that someone could be trapped like that.  If the car had caught fire like Grojeans did the driver would have been burned alive in front of a grandstand full of people.

Comparing the TT to F1 is apples and oranges.

Millions are spent on developing F1 cars, tracks, safety systems. The TT some of the kit is cobbled together in people's garages. 

Without wishing to start an argument the safety officials at F1 are a million times more qualified and competent than our home grown bunch  of enthusiastic amateurs. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Comparing the TT to F1 is apples and oranges.

Millions are spent on developing F1 cars, tracks, safety systems. The TT some of the kit is cobbled together in people's garages. 

Without wishing to start an argument the safety officials at F1 are a million times more qualified and competent than our home grown bunch  of enthusiastic amateurs. 

The point is do those of you who are very risk adverse think it was acceptable to re run the race without any measures in place to stop the same or worse happening again?

Would you have sat in that grandstand for the re run

Edited by Youaintseenme

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

The point is do those of you who are very risk adverse think it was acceptable to re run the race without any measures in place to stop the same or worse happening again?

Would you have sat in that grandstand for the re run

Point 1: Yes, because their safety record shows that deaths are rare. Therefore they're qualified to make such calls. 

Point 2: Yes I would. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Point 1: Yes, because their safety record shows that deaths are rare. Therefore they're qualified to make such calls. 

Point 2: Yes I would. 

That surprises me given yours and others views of risk.  There are several videos online where you can hear people and children screaming at what they have witnessed.  They should be very glad there wasn’t a fire because there is no way on earth they would have got him out.

Thanks for answering.

Edited by Youaintseenme

3 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

That surprises me given yours and others views of risk.  There are several videos online where you can here people and children screaming at what they have witnessed.  They should be very glad there wasn’t a fire because there is no way on earth they would have got him out.

Thanks for answering.

We don't know for certain that they wouldn't have got him out. Thankfully it didn't come to that. 

But it is what it is. IMO F1 is an entirely different animal to the TT. 

If we take the average number of races in the 1990's as being 16 a year... from 1982 to 2022 that's 640 races (16x40)... that's 1 death per 128 races. 

I guess that's what I find acceptable versus what the TT is. But that's just me.

Have a good evening. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

We don't know for certain that they wouldn't have got him out. Thankfully it didn't come to that. 

Sorry but that is absolute rubbish.

It took them an age to get him out even without a fire.  Anyone who thinks they could have got him out of that car if any sort of fire was burning is deluded.

Its strange how these things garner different opinions.  To my mind risking the same happening again in front of a massive grandstand full of people in what people consider a family event is more unacceptable than running the TT.

Edited by Youaintseenme

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Its strange how these things garner different opinions.  To my mind risking the same happening again in front of a massive grandstand full of people in what people consider a family event is more unacceptable than running the TT.

I'm genuinely not looking to argue the point and I'm only interested in your thoughts... but that exact thing can  happen at the TT... a body on fire in front of a family grandstand... can't it?