TT 2022 ??

Barlow

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

That’s bollocks.  Maybe on the timing and transponder system, but no way specifically for a new scoreboard 

He didnt clarify as to what and think he might have been referring to the whole new package involved in it. No doubt it will come out sometime , or maybe not .

38 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You answered you own question, although I think unintentionally.

There is no need for a scoreboard these days, it’s just an unnecessary expense in the days of live radio, transponders and internet in your hand

There's no real need to come to the TT at all. The TT app is rather super I believe and you can get all the thrills and spills lying on the couch watching it on your mobi at home, supping supermarket lager.

I

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

He could have raised it a year ago when it was announced.   Or he isn't getting a gold VIP pass this year and is not happy about it.

He was too busy wanting kids vaccinated and them sitting in freezing cold classrooms to worry about the TT. 

6 hours ago, cissolt said:

He could have raised it a year ago when it was announced.   Or he isn't getting a gold VIP pass this year and is not happy about it.

It was announced there would be changes, but not exactly what they would be.  And to be fair to Glover, it's really that timing that he was asking about:  Why changes to dates for the TT and Manx Grand Prix meetings are not announced at least a year in advance.  (Whole session is up on Listen, but not split to individual questions yet).

But of course that's the way the Manx civil service operates.  Leave everything till the last possible minute and then force what suits you through without proper consideration.  The fact that no one likes it and it will inconvenience TT fans, businesses and residents is irrelevant.  The important thing is that you get your way.

Sometimes it doesn't work (Glover also asked: Whether a new scoreboard at the Grandstand will be in place for TT 2023.  No doubt there was hollow laughter).  But usually the politicians fall for it, vote for it and then feel obliged to support whatever nonsense it is publicly.

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The fact that no one likes it and it will inconvenience TT fans, businesses and residents is irrelevant.  The important thing is that you get your way.

My understanding was that the manufacturers wanted additional races for certain categories, in order to justify developing bikes for those categories. All categories will have two races. This is the best way of delivering these additional races. 

I'm not sure how the changes will inconvenience TT fans, who now have two weekends of racing rather than one. It will affect places like Peel, Ramsey, and Port Erin though, who hosted events on non-racing days. Mad Sunday will be a huge loss to fans, although less so to ambulance crews.

The MGP changes are different, but the MGP has always been the poor relation and it's hard not to feel that it's dying on its arse anyway, just like races like the Ulster GP are doing.

As for the changes, these have been proposed for the thick end of two years, so people shouldn't be too surprised. I don't see the point of consultations, though.

Edited by Ringy Rose

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

I'm not sure how the changes will inconvenience TT fans, who now have two weekends of racing rather than one. It will affect places like Peel, Ramsey, and Port Erin though, who hosted events on non-racing days. Mad Sunday will be a huge loss to fans, although less so to ambulance crews.

Regarding the fans, it's partly because (as I think Glover is getting at) people will have already booked travel and accommodation for 2023.  But centring things around the weekends tends to disrupt the way accommodation works, a lot of self-catering (and maybe homestay) will be Saturday to Saturday and providers won't want to extend for the odd day and lose the following week.  So fans may not be able to take advantage anyway unless they pay a lot more.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Regarding the fans, it's partly because (as I think Glover is getting at) people will have already booked travel and accommodation for 2023.  But centring things around the weekends tends to disrupt the way accommodation works, a lot of self-catering (and maybe homestay) will be Saturday to Saturday and providers won't want to extend for the odd day and lose the following week.  So fans may not be able to take advantage anyway unless they pay a lot more.

I am not sure how anyone who is a TT fan didn’t know this was coming?  The schedule is what was published for 2023 just after the 2021 event, well over a year ago, and is the only 2023 I have ever seen published?

Edited by Asthehills

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But centring things around the weekends tends to disrupt the way accommodation works, a lot of self-catering (and maybe homestay) will be Saturday to Saturday and providers won't want to extend for the odd day and lose the following week.

True enough. If it runs to schedule it shouldn't be too much of an issue- check out of the cottage at 10am, racing 12-2pm, on the boat by teatime. It's just the one race, the senior on the last day.  But if the Saturday is wet they're knackered.

It's not a new proposal though, they've been talking about it since 2020.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

So as most if not all of us expected. No new scoreboard for TT 2023. Why oh why did they take the old one down down. And No not convinced with a little bit spent it wouldnt have lasted a couple more years.   Apparently also according to a ex travelling marshall theres a considerable sum already spent on wiring for the scoreboard . If true thats another £500.000 gone to waste. Over to you Juan SHK 

The scoreboard was rewired  1998 and fitted with yellowish energy saving bulbs , it could have lasted a few more years until a proper plan was in place for its replacement , given the race fields are now restricted to 60   it would not have taken much to re arrange  what was there and keep the best of it  for the future , 

big problem with some of the motorsport division , the TT history is not important    and the fact that the races have been run successfully for over 100 years if of no significance to them , same with the iconic Dunlop tower and the Stanley Woods clock that was all part of the scoreboard heritage   and apparently gone missing 

sadly the organisers appear to be philistines and were hell bent on removing the scoreboard , and the scouts involvement  that didn't fit the BSB  monster energy type image ,  where in contrast Wimbledon Lawn tennis club  have saved their scoreboards  as iconic  pieces of lawn tennis history , 

someone needs to ask the cost of the rewire !  and how much the scoreboards cost to remove ,  they were so well lut together it took 6 weeks to take them down , destroying a piece of TT heritage for ever !

17 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Exactly.  Anyone who was “caught out” by the change of dates is an idiot.  They have been in the public domain since well before the last races.

You can't have it both ways.  If the dates were already fixed, then the public consultation was pointless - confirming what I said above about how the civil service operates.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You can't have it both ways.  If the dates were already fixed, then the public consultation was pointless - confirming what I said above about how the civil service operates.

Is there anything, anywhere in writing to suggest the old format would have run in 2023?  Anything saying the senior would be on the Friday?  

If people booked based on previous years knowing that they were two years into a plan to amend the schedule when nothing was confirmed then surely that is their lookout?  The article below was published on Senior Race day 2021.  They literally announced the planned changes to next years schedule a full two years in advance.  I am not sure what else they could have done?

https://www.iomttraces.com/latest/news/more-racing-coming-for-2023-jun21/

• Haha 1