Jump to content

The Only Way is Up - Douglas Borough Council


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Aren't DBC calling for some central government support to allow rates reductions for shops to preserve Strand Street?  

I am sure Dorothy Perkins etc. would have stayed open if they had a reduction in their rates.  As for local shops, aren't they doing quite well at the moment what with going open and all?  So, why subsidise them, or is this another empty grandstanding gesture?

Bit like free carparking during lockdown last year,  never understood why.  Supposedly helping key workers, who were still being paid, BTW. 

 

Hard to judge tone on here, not convinced that a bit of rate reduction would have made much of a difference to Dorothy Perkins.

Then comes the question of fairness and whether rate reduction applies to all or just certain criteria

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At what point should the realisation sink in that after nearly 2 decades as the leader of a local government, when your town is more of a shithole than ever, when you are constantly having to charge y

Asked about rates rises, Howard helpfully points out that Marown didn't raise theirs.

DBC's business rates (which are criminally high) are not responsible for the closing of shops from the Arcadia group fallout, he's just using that as a smokescreen. However, pigeons are coming ho

2 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

Hard to judge tone on here, not convinced that a bit of rate reduction would have made much of a difference to Dorothy Perkins.

Then comes the question of fairness and whether rate reduction applies to all or just certain criteria

That was my point. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 11:13 PM, Rhumsaa said:

Hard to judge tone on here, not convinced that a bit of rate reduction would have made much of a difference to Dorothy Perkins.

Then comes the question of fairness and whether rate reduction applies to all or just certain criteria

It would help more local businesses though surely? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Douglas this afternoon. Depressing, uninviting, looking shabby.

Outside Boots the floor is awash with what looks like chewing gum. Looks dreadful.

Isle of Man bank - had to stand outside in rain to get an account balance as machines inside not working. 

And don't start me on customer service in the two shops I went in. Called it a day after that.

Won't be in a hurry to go back.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Nice to see the matter of the chewing gum machine getting another airing. Just when their is doom and gloom and you want cheering up, up pops the picture of Ashie and David Christian and the machine, printed in the Manx Newspaper and online. Apparently it’s parts made £200 at auction………. That will go far within the DBC coffers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Nice to see the matter of the chewing gum machine getting another airing. Just when their is doom and gloom and you want cheering up, up pops the picture of Ashie and David Christian and the machine, printed in the Manx Newspaper and online. Apparently it’s parts made £200 at auction………. That will go far within the DBC coffers. 

Are you a glass half empty / fuck all in the glass type of person?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

Are you a glass half empty / fuck all in the glass type of person?

Perhaps you are David Christian in disguise?
 

Perhaps if Douglas Corporation didn’t waste money, of which the said Dear Leader was involved, along with Ashie (Junior Apprenticeship served in how waste ratepayers money), then nobody would have the need to waste money. Incidentally why don’t you address your bile and pent up emotions to Isle of Man Newspapers! They obviously feel there is a story there.

Once upon a time there was a Council Leader who was easily sold a chewing gum machine which cost the ratepayers a lot of money. He was ably assisted by his sidekick, a councillor who really wanted to play with the big boys in the upper eschelons of power ………….. 

Most stories have a happy ending ……….. this one doesn’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4162192.stm

an alternative but nowhere near as costly as DBC's

Disgusting! They will look really attractive to tourists. Simple thing to do is carry a tissue in your pocket and put the chewing gum into the tissue and throw it into the dustbin! The council could put up signs etc threatening fines etc. It works in Singapore, and so does corporal punishment and hanging for drug offences. Simples really and you don’t need to spunk hard working Douglas ratepayers cash

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps you are David Christian in disguise?
 

Perhaps if Douglas Corporation didn’t waste money, of which the said Dear Leader was involved, along with Ashie (Junior Apprenticeship served in how waste ratepayers money), then nobody would have the need to waste money. Incidentally why don’t you address your bile and pent up emotions to Isle of Man Newspapers! They obviously feel there is a story there.

Once upon a time there was a Council Leader who was easily sold a chewing gum machine which cost the ratepayers a lot of money. He was ably assisted by his sidekick, a councillor who really wanted to play with the big boys in the upper eschelons of power ………….. 

Most stories have a happy ending ……….. this one doesn’t.

Not having a happy ending seems to suit most of what you whine on about.  Not sure why I would have to be David Christian in disguise to spot that

Edited by Peter Layman
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 9:24 PM, Apple said:

I was in Douglas this afternoon. Depressing, uninviting, looking shabby.

Outside Boots the floor is awash with what looks like chewing gum. Looks dreadful.

Isle of Man bank - had to stand outside in rain to get an account balance as machines inside not working. 

And don't start me on customer service in the two shops I went in. Called it a day after that.

Won't be in a hurry to go back.

You can’t polish a turd!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...