Isle of Old People

Looks like the population age is getting older which is not good news for health services, costs etc. lots of younger graduates leaving Island due to limited opportunities but plenty of retired coming over and Ashie was on Radio today saying Island welcomes new residents.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/number-of-births-on-the-isle-of-man-continues-to-decline/

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it many times but size of government should fit with the population size not the other was around!

Personally I think we could easily sustain a population of 100k to 125k with more infrastructure. Jersey has 125k on a much smaller island & Guernsey 64k on very small island. We need younger

If we had a public sector that cut its cloth accordingly, and a government that had more realistic ambitions, I would tend to agree.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

Looks like the population age is getting older which is not good news for health services, costs etc. lots of younger graduates leaving Island due to limited opportunities but plenty of retired coming over and Ashie was on Radio today saying Island welcomes new residents.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/number-of-births-on-the-isle-of-man-continues-to-decline/

None of us are getting any younger that's for sure. 

45 minutes ago, Banker said:

It must be a slow news day as I heard that interview with Ashie week's ago!

Edited by finlo
5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There's a declining population in the west, that's why they have been welcoming immigrants into Europe. The world needs taxpayers!

The dilemma is for the west to create the jobs for those immigrants to become taxpayers. That's the problem we face in the Isle of Man too. 

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There's a declining population in the west, that's why they have been welcoming immigrants into Europe. The world needs taxpayers!

We need taxpayers but we’re losing a number of younger ones & attracting older retired people who will be paying little tax 

The Isle of Man has been losing 1000 18 to 30 year olds every year since 2010/11. Something fundamental has to change.

Time for a residency act on property and time to stop importing people that are 'economically inactive' (old people) stretching services here. Inheritance taxes need to be introduced, especially on people here less than 5 years.

We are being financially ethnically cleansed.

• Like 3

One thing which frustrates me about these population debates is that almost nobody is willing to stick their neck out and say what they think the IOM population should be. For example, it was 40,000 in 1821, 63,000 in 1980 and 85,000 today.  So does that mean that today we have too many people?  Or that in 1821 we had too few people?  Or do we still not have enough people and we need more?

Getting more people of working age onto the island to support the retirees seems to me to be a glorified pyramid scheme, because many of those young people will stay on the island and grow old themselves, and then need even more young people to support them, and so on ad infinitum.

Personally, I would like to see a return to something like 1821 population levels.  If you want crowds of people, better services, more shops, more nightlife etc you can have all that and more in Liverpool, and I don't see why we should be aiming to make the island more like Liverpool.  However, if people disagree with that, what do you think the ideal population should be?  

• Like 5
1 minute ago, BallaDoc said:

One thing which frustrates me about these population debates is that almost nobody is willing to stick their neck out and say what they think the IOM population should be. For example, it was 40,000 in 1821, 63,000 in 1980 and 85,000 today.  So does that mean that today we have too many people?  Or that in 1821 we had too few people?  Or do we still not have enough people and we need more?

Getting more people of working age onto the island to support the retirees seems to me to be a glorified pyramid scheme, because many of those young people will stay on the island and grow old themselves, and then need even more young people to support them, and so on ad infinitum.

Personally, I would like to see a return to something like 1821 population levels.  If you want crowds of people, better services, more shops, more nightlife etc you can have all that and more in Liverpool, and I don't see why we should be aiming to make the island more like Liverpool.  However, if people disagree with that, what do you think the ideal population should be?  

Well written,  well considered post. I am regretting all those housing estates eating up our green fields. Douglas and Ramsey would both be better with improved housing and people living in walking distance of shops, pubs etc. I look at the likes of Desemsne Road, Mona Street, Christian Street and Hutchinson Square and shake my head in shame at the dilapidated state of our victorian housing. 

• Like 1
Just now, finlo said:

I've said it many times but size of government should fit with the population size not the other was around!

This is what it's about though. A few years back it was going to be "pension rights-harvesting", wasn't it?

We need to attract healthy people of working age who are going to be paying taxes to help pay for our governance, instead we are "bulking up" with senior citizens who will require more health care, ultimately.

But it's not just that. Young people bring the life and "vibe" to society, they bring (and indeed want) the bright lights and colour. Personally, I see all those things waning currently.

• Like 2