Manx SAS wants new play ground

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

So he carried a gun to protect from someone trying to remove a gun from him...

Its a bit difficult to pull a 30 round semi automatic rifle out of your pocket when someone is creeping up behind with a blanket, but a 8mm browning is easily pulled and is a deterrent to any would be offender, sort of protection if you like and it worked as the assailants fled empty handed. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether you believe its needed or not they need to be qualified to a certain standard so have to keep up their training on a regular basis. I'm sure if the day comes where someone has to be shot

Sensible? It’s an absolute necessity. one in 28 households on the Isle of Man has access to a firearm, compared to 1 in 76 in the UK. Should an incident similar to the Derrick Bird incident in Cu

Yeah, he’d be locked up for breaching the Covid cordon sanitaire 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Its a bit difficult to pull a 30 round semi automatic rifle out of your pocket when someone is creeping up behind with a blanket, but a 8mm browning is easily pulled and is a deterrent to any would be offender, sort of protection if you like and it worked as the assailants fled empty handed. 

If a little perforated!

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Things were different back then, he even had an 8mm handgun to carry as protection in case anyone one fancied their chances of trying to remove it from him, which occurred twice that I know off, there was lots of groups interested in getting their hands on that weapon, he actually give it up in the end as it attracted to much unwanted attention.

All sounds a bit weird to me.  I assume this wasn't on the Isle of Man.

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I really don't see any reason for a member of the public to own a gun, none what so ever.

This includes farmers

If you want to shoot at a club the guns should be kept there, end of. 

Farmers have them for pest, predator and vermin control, and in rare circumstances, to minimise suffering of fatally injured animals.

What do you propose instead for them?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Bow hunting is illegal in the UK.

You are the Sheriff of Nottingham and I claim the five gold duckets reward.

I've heard from reliable people that there are a couple of L96 kicking around too.

It's sensible to have an armed response force here. So long as we don't end up like America where every cop has thousands of dollars of equipment and tens of thousands of dollars of SWAT style training in order to respond to, mostly, traffic and social problems. A dedicated small force trained highly is sensible. 

3 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Farmers have them for pest, predator and vermin control, and in rare circumstances, to minimise suffering of fatally injured animals.

What do you propose instead for them?

Pest and vermin are taken care of by poison and what predators do we have here? Lions? Fox? what predators?

As for fatally injured stock, if the vet cant get there I am sure it is not beyond the wit of man to have a bolt type gun like they use in the abattoir to finish the thing off?

7 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Pest and vermin are taken care of by poison and what predators do we have here? Lions? Fox? what predators?

As for fatally injured stock, if the vet cant get there I am sure it is not beyond the wit of man to have a bolt type gun like they use in the abattoir to finish the thing off?

Poison can also harm the environment, not to mention other creatures that it’s not intended for. I mentioned dog attacks earlier, of which there have been several reported in the news seemingly each year. Would you want to approach an injured bull to finish it off? It’s far better for all concerned to have a gun for some tasks- I’m no farmer, but even I can see that. 

3 minutes ago, manxst said:

Poison can also harm the environment, not to mention other creatures that it’s not intended for. I mentioned dog attacks earlier, of which there have been several reported in the news seemingly each year. Would you want to approach an injured bull to finish it off? It’s far better for all concerned to have a gun for some tasks- I’m no farmer, but even I can see that. 

We have PC Shuey who can taser the animal.

I will leave it there, I just find people who have the need to own guns a bit weird.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1
Just now, Boris Johnson said:

We have PC Shuey who can taser the animal.

I will leave it there, I just find people who have the need to own guns a bit weird.

Hmmm...even with his taser I’d hazard a guess PC Shuey rightfully wouldn’t go within 50 metres of an injured bull. Plus I’m not sure what a taser would do to an animal like that anyway? Guns in the farmers case are simply a tool of their job to be used when needed and appropriate- nothing weird about that.