Budget 2021

AlanShimmin

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Much of the reserves are invested. There was a Covid stock market fall in March April May last year. Since then they’ve recovered to new highs. My pension pot is up 20% year on year. From £10 to £12

My point is though that the Current account has taken a battering this year, so when and how much is Alf going to draw down from Reserves to top it up ? It'll take even more of a battering this year when tax receipts are significantly down. Is he leaving the mess for the next Treasury Minister to sort out next year ?

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

My point is though that the Current account has taken a battering this year, so when and how much is Alf going to draw down from Reserves to top it up ? It'll take even more of a battering this year when tax receipts are significantly down. Is he leaving the mess for the next Treasury Minister to sort out next year ?

Read the budget speech. There are large transfers from reserves.

52 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And not before time, somebody needed to get a grip of Longworth. They can start getting some life and mileage out of the existing fleet. Buses being moved on because they've got a reported 40k on the clock is laughable. I'm told there's Citaros mothballed in a hangar at Jurby too but I can't confirm it.

ETA: Phil Gawne on MR bleating that there's no money for heritage, including repairs to the currently non-functioning Laxey Wheel.

Given the money that PG squandered during his tenures, I find the hypocrisy breathtaking. Peel some tarmac up off The Sloc and sell it Phil.

It was embarrassing just listening to Gawne at lunchtime. He's still got a headful of wool. First time he got to speak he was off on one about climate change...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So why isn't it on site at the power station, ready to kick in for when the other one snuffs it?

The space is being taken up by the scaffolding.....

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

There is also a brand new gas turbine stored in the hanger as well so I'm told.

I may be wrong but I think that's a diesel engine that we have had for a long time? It was thought to be earmarked for the old system and then for Peel.

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

Agreed, who's to say cabinet office are the Knights in shining armour

It almost needs to be a standalone department to avoid any undue influence. Private sector thinking needs to be applied to it so it avoids failing from the start. 

• Thanks 1

This is probably my favourite takeaway from today's figures. 

*per person/I missed that part*

£192 net expenditure (after income) for public transport and heritage railways

That's clearly not including capital expenditure. 

The heritage railway and bus costs should be given separately as they're completely different animals. 

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_664940.html

Edited by AlanShimmin

10 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It almost needs to be a standalone department to avoid any undue influence. Private sector thinking needs to be applied to it so it avoids failing from the start. 

I think it was Bill Shimmins idea to bring centrally and to set up the development corporation for brownfield sites so assume he will be looking to control.