1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Right oh.

The last time the population was discussed it was all the young people leaving.

Now it is all the civil servants with their pensions.  You couldn't make it up.

I don’t care who it is. The figures prove the population is decreasing. As opposed to what you say. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rarely is there a good alternative and voters are invariably picking the best of a weak ballot paper. If we merged the local authorities into four geographic regions, as many have argued, we could per

We largely agree! Tynwald members are to all intents and purposes a parish council of an extended village with the astonishing good fortune (or dangerous curse) to be able to blow £1 billion per

Ever since I've lived here which is now 30yrs we have been investing in infrastructure, which to me begs a question ? Why is the place such a xxxxxxx mess ?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, manxst said:

It’s proved that as the world population grew, so did the IOM. As the world continued to grow over the last ten years, the IOM decreased. Think about it. 

There is absolutely nothing to back up SMUJ statement that loads of civil servants have taken huge pay offs and taken their pensions and moved away.  It's the sort of anecdotal bullshit that Sultan (insert other identical poster) comes up with when they know of a couple of people.  Suddenly that means thousands are at it.   It's just BS.

2 minutes ago, manxst said:

I don’t care who it is. The figures prove the population is decreasing. As opposed to what you say. 

I didnt say the population was increasing.

I simply retorted to the bullshit point that there were civil servants taking large amounts of money to be spent in another country in retirement.  

Some people leave.  Others retire here.

There is no huge financial disparity.   Read what SMUJ said.  It's just alarmingly naive at best.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I love my country, so don't misunderstand, but Tynwald - what tripe.

Really I do understand. 

Todays questions from Ms Christian MHK (and the way HQ was clearly losing patience with her about 111) and the Questions and comments from Mr Quine MHK (that he was advised to withdraw) were perfect examples.

It was embarrassing to listen to it on the radio, never mind being there. I would suggest listening to the replay rather than reading the Hansard. Most unedifying. 

In my view, and yes Have given this much thought, Tynwlad misses a lot of opportunities to show the island in a better light. This Tynwald is certainly no exception.

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Depends if anyone bothers to stand out that way this time. The people of Peel had the worst choice of any constituency last time round.

TIm Crookall is standing, he declared when he didn't stand for LEGCO again as wanted to stand again in Peel, anyone is better that the present 2 even TIm!,

3 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Right oh.

The last time the population was discussed it was all the young people leaving.

Now it is all the civil servants with their pensions.  You couldn't make it up.

The young people are leaving particularly graduates which is why the average population age is increasing, if it continues on the same trajectory there .will be few of working age soon, the island will be full of pensioners filling up the few GP practices left and those on benefits.

10 hours ago, Apple said:

Really I do understand. 

Todays questions from Ms Christian MHK (and the way HQ was clearly losing patience with her about 111) and the Questions and comments from Mr Quine MHK (that he was advised to withdraw) were perfect examples.

It was embarrassing to listen to it on the radio, never mind being there. I would suggest listening to the replay rather than reading the Hansard. Most unedifying. 

In my view, and yes Have given this much thought, Tynwlad misses a lot of opportunities to show the island in a better light. This Tynwald is certainly no exception.

Agreed, very cringeworthy listening. I have watched a few online in the past (when they were still being filmed but don’t think they do this anymore?) and it is appalling viewing. You can see the delight in the room when poor souls like Moorhouse stumble through their questions. Half of them revel in it and the other half seem to be in a waking coma. Better just to listen! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The people of Peel had the worst choice of any constituency last time round.

The voters of comedy constituency Castletown, Malew, Arbory, Silverdale, Ronaldsway Halt, Duck Street, Ballakaighen and that nice footpath at Scarlett would dispute your assertion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Banker said:

TIm Crookall is standing, he declared when he didn't stand for LEGCO again as wanted to stand again in Peel, anyone is better that the present 2 even TIm!,

If you are a candidate who, by common acknowledgment, is inferior to Tim Crookall, it’s time for you to spend the rest of your days in a cave somewhere in the Himalayas, never to emerge.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Apple said:

Quayle losing patience with a female member? Surely not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
15 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Rarely is there a good alternative and voters are invariably picking the best of a weak ballot paper. If we merged the local authorities into four geographic regions, as many have argued, we could perhaps create a more meaningful tier of local politics from which better and experienced candidates could emerge. But our self-defeating Manx political culture will always ensure this never happens.  

Self-preserving Manx political culture, surely?

14 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Unbelievable isn't it. I know plenty too who've taken that massive government pension and pissed off back to the U.K. so we're not even recouping any local spend. How much of that £13,740 p.a. actually generates growth and benefits the local economy ? Very little.  

14 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

There's plenty of people retired here or moved here providing money into the economy which was accumulated elsewhere. 

Given how much our population has grown then the opposite of what you say would be nearer the mark.

They are, but they aren’t paying much tax, and they didn’t contribute NI. Conversely, the UK government now get 20% of my pension

14 hours ago, manxst said:

Grown? What planet do you live on? People are leaving. 

“At the 2016 census, the Isle of Man was home to 83,314 people, of whom 26,997 resided in the island's capital, Douglas, and 9,128 in the adjoining village of Onchan. The population decreased by 1.4% between the 2011 and 2016 censuses.”

Still building houses though! 

In all seriousness, this is likely the biggest challenge facing the next two administrations. And I’m not sure either will resolve it.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

The voters of comedy constituency Castletown, Malew, Arbory, Silverdale, Ronaldsway Halt, Duck Street, Ballakaighen and that nice footpath at Scarlett would dispute your assertion.

We at least had a pick of six for the two seats, regardless of quality. The people of Peel had three into two, a cock, a moron and a drunk. I consider that worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

We at least had a pick of six for the two seats, regardless of quality. The people of Peel had three into two, a cock, a moron and a drunk. I consider that worse.

Genuine question for any Peelites on here. Have Harmer and Boot done anything for Peel as the town's MHKs (leaving out their ministerial performances), 'cos that's the criteria that any re-election will pivot on? How have they performed as Peel representatives?

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Genuine question for any Peelites on here. Have Harmer and Boot done anything for Peel as the town's MHKs (leaving out their ministerial performances), 'cos that's the criteria that any re-election will pivot on? How have they performed as Peel representatives?

They have done fuck all for the west, if anything they have made the place worse, ie Peel marina / Fisheries policy  and if I was not so mad I could probably name guite a few fuck up's on their watch. Tim Crookall for all his faults done no harm while appointed,  not like this pair of twats, and I'm sure the drunk would have been a better choice than we got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1