• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rarely is there a good alternative and voters are invariably picking the best of a weak ballot paper. If we merged the local authorities into four geographic regions, as many have argued, we could per

We largely agree! Tynwald members are to all intents and purposes a parish council of an extended village with the astonishing good fortune (or dangerous curse) to be able to blow £1 billion per

Ever since I've lived here which is now 30yrs we have been investing in infrastructure, which to me begs a question ? Why is the place such a xxxxxxx mess ?

Posted Images

On 2/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, Beelzebub3 said:

They have done fuck all for the west, if anything they have made the place worse, ie Peel marina / Fisheries policy  and if I was not so mad I could probably name guite a few fuck up's on their watch. Tim Crookall for all his faults done no harm while appointed,  not like this pair of twats, and I'm sure the drunk would have been a better choice than we got.

The drunk is an argumentative so-and-so but he's got some intelligence behind him. I asked him about a year ago if he planned on running again and his answer was an emphatic "NO - you've all had your chance to see what I can do, so screw Peel". 

I don't know anyone who is happy with Boot/Hamer, myself included. They've accomplished SFA that's positive and presided over the current sewage fiasco. At least Tim lives right on the bay and can see the sewage flowing every ebb tide, so perhaps he'll be a bit more motivated to ensure it's finally sorted. 

With Nice but Dim at least he does no harm as has been said. Just don't let him near education again, I couldn't stand a repeat of the irony. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Fluffy123 said:

May be 24 whole new MHKs! 

Hopefully without the current comin nodding donkeys, they are abysmal and will not challenge anything HRH says or does it is embarrassing. As for DA becoming the CM, the people that think that are fucking cracker's, he is a good actor who reads his script well before any performance, I cringe when he and HRH are at the lectern, they make a school play seem professional. CM material my ass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite a lot of Budget analysis in iomtoday/Examiner now that there's been time for people to comb through the small print and make some predictions on the effects. "Mixed thoughts", I think is the expression, in particular as to what damage Covid is doing to the economy and also what direction EU/OECD attention may take.

Screenshot_20210302-092340_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Quite a lot of Budget analysis in iomtoday/Examiner now that there's been time for people to comb through the small print and make some predictions on the effects. "Mixed thoughts", I think is the expression, in particular as to what damage Covid is doing to the economy and also what direction EU/OECD attention may take.

Screenshot_20210302-092340_Chrome.jpg

So taxes will rise, prices will rise as companies will still be recovering, paying off loans and these new taxes as well as rebuild savings. So inflation will rise (here and UK) so interest rates will rise. Suddenly everyone will be looking at a doubling or tripling of mortage interest that they could barely afford. But we needn't worry becasue the great and the good will by then be retiring with a nice pension for all of their hard work.

What needs to happen right now before tax rises is a severe pruning of grandiose schemes like cycle bridges that will generate zero revenue and into repairing and maintining what assets we have. That would generate local jobs and suppliers etc. Imagine if the promenade had been on a rolling 10 year program actually lifitng sections, redoing infrastructure underneath. Keeping the high street active, learning as they went along.

It's been how long now? Sept 2018 so 30 months would be about 25% would be completed. And we are to believe they are finishing in July? yeah right. Giving up more like. Let the next lot handle it.

Edited by CallMeCurious
typos
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

So taxes will rise, prices will rise as companies will still be recovering, paying off loans and these new taxes as well as rebuild savings. So inflation will rise (here and UK) so interest rates will rise. Suddenly everyone will be looking at a doubling or tripling of mortage interest that they could barely afford. But we needn't worry becasue the great and the good will by then be retiring with a nice pension for all of their hard work.

What needs to happen right now before tax rises is a severe pruning of grandiose schemes like cycle bridges that will generate zero revenue and into repairing and maintining what assets we have. That would generate local jobs and suppliers etc. Imagine if the promenade had been on a rolling 10 year program actually lifitng sections, redoing infrastructure underneath. Keeping the high street active, learning as they went along.

It's been how long now? Sept 2018 so 30 months would be about 25% would be completed. And we are to believe they are finishing in July? yeah right. Giving up more like. Let the next lot handle it.

That's incorrect. 

Rates won't be rising.  Because prices won't materially rise.  You would need serious wage inflation to kick start that cycle and that isn't happening.

Low interest rates have been here over a decade and will be around a lot longer than that.

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

That's incorrect. 

Rates won't be rising.  Because prices won't materially rise.  You would need serious wage inflation to kick start that cycle and that isn't happening.

Low interest rates have been here over a decade and will be around a lot longer than that.

Yeah, guess it's not a bubble until it bursts.

18 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

That's incorrect. 

Well the public sector got 2.75% pay rise last April when inflation was 0.8% so that’s serious wage inflation and no doubt they will want big rises next year if they accept 1% this year when inflation is negative 

Alf doesn’t keep Laxey wheel turning!!

MNH Bids Rejected

Treasury Minister Alf Cannan has confirmed which bids for funding he rejected from Manx National Heritage. These included £5m for a new store at Balthane, £450,000 for maintenance to the Great Laxey Wheel, £409,400 for a new entrance to Cregneash and £94,666.67 for digitising Isle of Man Newspapers historic editions.

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Alf doesn’t keep Laxey wheel turning!!

MNH Bids Rejected

Treasury Minister Alf Cannan has confirmed which bids for funding he rejected from Manx National Heritage. These included £5m for a new store at Balthane, £450,000 for maintenance to the Great Laxey Wheel, £409,400 for a new entrance to Cregneash and £94,666.67 for digitising Isle of Man Newspapers historic editions.

5m for a new store.  You would think somewhere within government estate there is room for storage .

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

5m for a new store.  You would think somewhere within government estate there is room for storage .

They could use that vast space between Skelly's ears.

• Haha 5
4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Chester Street!