Boris’s “Douglas Junction”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He already has the design worked out:

This will definitely happen, just like the airport on the Thames estuary, the 'oven-ready' Brexit deal, the world-beating track and trace, the check's in the post, I won't come in your..

There’s no way they could put a big roundabout ON the island. No bugger would know how to use it. 

Posted Images

23 hours ago, pongo said:

It's a brilliantly dopey idea.

But why build the roundabout under the island? That makes no sense. Why not above ground?

Ignoring the fact that the whole scheme is absolutely bonkers why would you even need a roundabout?  Surely you just need "slip roads" like those in the Mersey Tunnels to turn from one route to the next.

An underground roundabout is surely just asking for accidents and then how do you get the emergency services there?  In fact which emergency services?  Would the Isle of Man emergency services have a big lift to go and respond to problems? 

Sorry, need to go back to reality rather than Boris's fantasy world.

I realise it’s a bonkers idea, but i had trouble sleeping last night and was wondering - 

Given the depth the tunnel would have to be at, would it be even possible to have an exit / entry ramp on the island. The channel tunnel entrances are some distance back from the coast to give a gentle gradient to the tunnel. Is the island big enough to accommodate that?

28 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I realise it’s a bonkers idea, but i had trouble sleeping last night and was wondering - 

Given the depth the tunnel would have to be at, would it be even possible to have an exit / entry ramp on the island. The channel tunnel entrances are some distance back from the coast to give a gentle gradient to the tunnel. Is the island big enough to accommodate that?

Air would be a big issue I'd expect.

Though, to get vehicles down mineshafts, they drain all the fluids, and lower them vertically. Hell of an ambulance ride that'd be back up.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Ignoring the fact that the whole scheme is absolutely bonkers why would you even need a roundabout?  Surely you just need "slip roads" like those in the Mersey Tunnels to turn from one route to the next.

An underground roundabout is surely just asking for accidents and then how do you get the emergency services there?  In fact which emergency services?  Would the Isle of Man emergency services have a big lift to go and respond to problems? 

Sorry, need to go back to reality rather than Boris's fantasy world.

Don't worry.... you're thinking along the right lines! :D

Does the UK have to get permission from the IOM to tunnel under it?  Something in my vague memory states that you own your property from the centre of the earth to somewhere in the skies.  Probably much adapted with air travel and international treaties. 

Edited by Gladys
19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Does the UK have to get permission from the IOM to tunnel under it?  Something in my vague memory states that you own your property from the centre of the earth to somewhere in the skies.  Probably much adapted with air travel and international treaties. 

I always thought the government owns everything 300m below land, even if you own the land above it.

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It makes sense. With all the voids that the DOI discovered, tunneling under the IOM would be easy....