Moving to the Isle of Man

Hi I'm Simon,

I have so many questions and I'm not sure if this is the correct forum.  My husband and I of 20 years are considering buying a house on the isle of man and moving permanently.   We are in are 50s and will be retiring this year.  I'm going to start with the big worry.. are the islanders accepting of gay people?  

Thank you for your reply. The gay thing doesn't define Us and never will.  Unfortunately I had to start with it as no one wants to buy the dream home where the locals are throwing bricks or the likes.

1 hour ago, Simon D said:

Hi I'm Simon,

I have so many questions and I'm not sure if this is the correct forum.  My husband and I of 20 years are considering buying a house on the isle of man and moving permanently.   We are in are 50s and will be retiring this year.  I'm going to start with the big worry.. are the islanders accepting of gay people?  

No one will care. There is a vibrant LGBT community over here these days. It’s not like it was years ago although there are some on this forum who would prefer it to back that way. But honestly, ignore them. You are welcome over here regardless of what your sexuality is. There are those of us who fight every day to further the acceptance on this island and leave the ignorant past behind 🙂.

Edited by Chie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Simon D said:

Hi I'm Simon,

The chief minister of 8 years was gay, a very prominent Island resident and (after his death) benefactor also.

Attitudes are the same as in any community but being an island maybe a few years behind.

Go for it, good luck.

• Thanks 1

Simon,

Like most places the Island has a mix of attitudes and outlooks.

Its not a metropolis. It’s not a gay Mecca. There’s no gay village.

Its much like any UK isolated rural or coastal area. The big difference being that you can’t just jump in the car for a night out in London, Manchester, Brighton or Blackpool.

There’s no gay bar. There’s a couple of gay organisations with web or FB presence. Try Isle of Pride and IOM  LGBT Community Noticeboard or The Gennal Walking Group.

I think you’ll find fitting in here is more about what you do to integrate and plug in to local social, sporting and cultural networks, of which there are many.

This weekend I encountered professionally, I was working, a young gay man and, briefly, his partner, who is a police special, and someone else, straight, who had been subjected to a tirade of homophobic abuse whilst queuing  in a late night food venue.

Not so sure about the vibrant LGBT community described by @Chie. Does it exist? If so it’s passed me by. I’m obviously a dinosaur and not involved. I asked my 19 year old nephew and his 22 year old partner before I posted and they don’t know either.

Its 43 years since I returned from Uni. I’ve worked here professionally ever since. I was involved in the law change debate and setting up and volunteering with the LGBT switchboard that ran for 20 years. It stopped because demand reduced. I also helped organise 4 early Pride events in 2000-2004.

No bricks through windows.

John

PS. I post using my own name. If you want to chat, and are resourceful, you can look me up and make contact.

• Thanks 3
On 2/22/2021 at 4:41 AM, GD4ELI said:

The chief minister of 8 years was gay, a very prominent Island resident and (after his death) benefactor also.

Attitudes are the same as in any community but being an island maybe a few years behind.

Go for it, good luck.

When did he die then? Or is that badly worded.

Edited by finlo