Moving to the Isle of Man

On 2/21/2021 at 10:58 PM, Simon D said:

Hi I'm Simon,

I have so many questions and I'm not sure if this is the correct forum.  My husband and I of 20 years are considering buying a house on the isle of man and moving permanently.   We are in are 50s and will be retiring this year.  I'm going to start with the big worry.. are the islanders accepting of gay people?  

There has been a massive change in attitude even in the last 20 years, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. You might get a few stares, maybe a few passing tuts from the older generation, but you’d get that anyway because you aren’t talking with a Manx accent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

There has been a massive change in attitude even in the last 20 years, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. You might get a few stares, maybe a few passing tuts from the older generation, but you’d get that anyway because you aren’t talking with a Manx accent.

Does anyone apart from a few older rural people still speak with  a genuine Manx accent. Most people seem to use a mix of Estuarine Mersey Scouse diluted with Lancashire and a bit of Dublin. I think it’s called tunnel English. It’s not Manx.

However the IOM has lots of disapproving evangelical organisations, many of the “leaders” of which appear to speak with distinctive South African accents.

Anyway, how would they know to tut? Are you assuming @Simon D has a rainbow neon forehead sign that says “GAY”?

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I think even in the last 5-10 years things have improved massively.

Look at all the support groups and clubs available to teenagers and young adults.

In schools 10 years ago, you'd still get thumped for being gay by some crowds. Gay clubs would've never existed.

You’ll be fine. JW as always gives a very succinct appraisal of the general set up of the Island.

I recall sitting in the sea terminal with a couple of visiting gay friends maybe 12 years ago. One fired up Grinder for a skeet - nearest contact was in Workington! 

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You’ll be fine. JW as always gives a very succinct appraisal of the general set up of the Island.

I recall sitting in the sea terminal with a couple of visiting gay friends maybe 12 years ago. One fired up Grinder for a skeet - nearest contact was in Workington! 

Derek. So that’s why you moved to Blackpool!

• Haha 2
On 2/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, John Wright said:

Anyway, how would they know to tut? Are you assuming @Simon D has a rainbow neon forehead sign that says “GAY”?

Body language is the simple answer, sometimes it’s made easy by the holding of hands but generally a couple that’s been together for that length of time are fairly easy to spot, a loving couple hold far more eye contact with each other than say friends would.

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Body language is the simple answer, sometimes it’s made easy by the holding of hands but generally a couple that’s been together for that length of time are fairly easy to spot, a loving couple hold far more eye contact with each other than say friends would.

Ah, the naivety and innocence of love’s young dream. It’s glares, shrugs, distance and despair as I roll down Strand, Parliament or Michael Streets.

20 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think even in the last 5-10 years things have improved massively.

Look at all the support groups and clubs available to teenagers and young adults.

In schools 10 years ago, you'd still get thumped for being gay by some crowds. Gay clubs would've never existed.

Has that much changed at school? I remember one guy was bullied for years because he was as camp as Christmas, used to run on his tip toes when doing any sort of sport and he went on to have a wife and two kids.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Ah, the naivety and innocence of love’s young dream. It’s glares, shrugs, distance and despair as I roll down Strand, Parliament or Michael Streets.

At the risk of sounding judgemental John sometimes you can just tell!? a flashing neon sign isn’t required.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

At the risk of sounding judgemental John sometimes you can just tell!? a flashing neon sign isn’t required.

At the risk of being judgmental you’d be making assumptions. Dangerous thing to do.

But then I've got faulty gaydar.