That’s absolutely lovely Zarley. Proper lifted my heart.

My good news for today is that the sun has finally come up high enough to reach my little back garden in the valley. First time I’ve seen it since October. It’s a milestone of a day. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got some personal, rather than general IOM, good news. My daughter, who is expecting my second grandchild at the end of April, managed to buy a newer home for a reasonable price despite all

I am sure it tasted lovely. But there is an air of melencholy hanging over that pavolva. The sombre tones of the berries and merrangue, are dusted with sugar so that it looks like a demonstration mode

You may have heard of Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin? I went to school with him and we had a particularly foul Headmaster, initials RLC. Along with Bob me and a couple of others were be-littled in front

Posted Images

I had a great time planting seeds last weekend, even dug myself a spud patch and this weekend I am going to make a veggie patch up the back of the garden.

I saw loads of lambs on the school run this morning and am mostly very happy with all that is Bee life at the moment :)

Oh and and and, I found some pictures of GK in the attic, got them framed and put them (and various other paintings) up around the house. I've also had an idea to paint the frames of some 'still art' pictures which look incredibly dated by their 1970's tweed frames - funk them up a bit. You must come round dear x

• Like 2

Planted the strawberries out today. Onion sets next along with some onion seeds I saved from last year. I haven't properly tried onion seeds before so should be interesting.

Spuds in buckets and beetroot next.......I love it when gardening time comes round.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 4

Good to hear you two. It's a lovely time of year. I love it too when the soil starts warming up and little heads pop through.  Give us a shout then @thebeesyou absolute slacker. Worst friend I ever.

I went Dhoon the Dhoon today. I forgot how far Dhoon it was. Very muddy but very glorious with the gorse out and the sun shining on the sea. Coffee at the Little Shed after, where everyone is very friendly and the coffee is very good. Fire on the beach tonight to welcome in the Snow Moon tomorrow morning. The 'syzygy' is at 8.30am.  It only happens when the earth comes exactly between the sun and the moon. We won't see the effect tomorrow morning but for the next three or four days the moon should still appear to be 'full'.   There you go, you didn't know that now did you.

IMG_5642.thumb.jpg.ef3fbd8dab7ef6956d30e62aa456864d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
On 2/25/2021 at 11:05 AM, Roxanne said:

That’s absolutely lovely Zarley. Proper lifted my heart.

My good news for today is that the sun has finally come up high enough to reach my little back garden in the valley. First time I’ve seen it since October. It’s a milestone of a day. 

All those people worried about a microchip in the COVID vaccine tracking their every private moment and you’re sharing details of your lady garden, your ‘back garden’ and your valley. How refreshingly open and modern of you 😂

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, quilp said:

Yep, mine's getting the full treatment this weekend; pruning, re-potting, drains, weeds, you name it. Oh joy, deep, deep... joy.

🙃

That reminds me. Must buy a new razor

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Spuds in buckets

I have no soil garden to speak of, but I would like to try this. Fancy giving me the low down? There's nothing like that first boiling with some butter and mint. Yum.

2 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

All those people worried about a microchip in the COVID vaccine tracking their every private moment and you’re sharing details of your lady garden, your ‘back garden’ and your valley. How refreshingly open and modern of you 😂

it's all so very easy when one doesn't give a shit. 😁

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I have no soil garden to speak of, but I would like to try this. Fancy giving me the low down? There's nothing like that first boiling with some butter and mint. Yum.

You can buy tubs and seed potatoes,  think I got mine from Kaleidoscope.

• Thanks 1

Any potatoes that have chitted, (posh for started shooting).

Or you can buy seed potatoes from Feltons, Farmer's combine or BQ or most garden centres.

Any bucket sized containers or boxes with a few drain holes prodded in them.

Handful of soil or compost in bottom, spud on top, just cover spud with soil or compost. As leaves grow keep nearly covering them until eventually the container is full. 

Wait, with great patience.

Must keep watered, don't allow to dry out but don't overwater.

Wait until leaves wilt, tip container upside down, stand back in amazement at the quantity of wonderful spuds you have created from just one potato!

No responsibility taken or implied for the consequences of discovering just how easy it is to grow things if you just believe in your instincts and don't follow the status quo too closely, (or at all).

Good luck and happy growing. 

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Thanks 3

As I do at this time of year, I've been rinsing out the cat litter for the last fortnight, in a sieve with the garden hose, a good soaking a couple of times for each bag removed, no chemicals, and leaving outside in a large, ventilated pot for when needed. For any cuttings and re-potting, planters etc., a good handful makes an excellent ingredient to the soil mix. 1:10 ratio trowels of soil. Helps with the drainage and can also aid keeping a moisture balance as it retains a small amount of water. Houseplants especially. It doesn't smell but I wouldn't recommend it for food-growing as a matter of principle. Great for acidic plants, Japanese Maple, some grasses etc.

Is this the gardening thread now? 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1