DOI plan to foil the fumble

4 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

only seems like a few years ago there was talk ( a very common ending to most things locally ) about reopening the road , though it has turned into the local beachy head  of late.

Can I just say, completely coincidentally, that I love your avatar - although I'm not quite sure why exactly.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We need a way to stop suicidal people driving off Marine Drive. We could improve mental health services? Nah, let's just close the road off. The people who are likely to walk or cycle o

I remember when it was an open thoroughfare. There have always been accidents up there. People in cars and on motorcycles ending up in hospital. Numerous people in cars ending up in church,

Quite, I noticed this when I first left hospital after my accident, there's no consideration given anywhere to less able people. Where can you stop and sit in Strand Street? Tesco, or Shoprite for tha

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This Island is turning into an inconsiderate place,

Isn't this what the Disability Act was supposed to address. ?

As I get older and (ahem) less able to get around on my own two pins too well, the lack of facilities where you can just sit and take a breather is getting more noticeable.

During the lockdowns watching those less abled having to stand and queue to pay for long periods of time I thought something could be done just to make it a bit easier. 

Mind you I was told once in Tesco that health and safety is their prime responsibility, and not really about making money. Not from where I stand sometimes.

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Apple said:

Isn't this what the Disability Act was supposed to address. ?

As I get older and (ahem) less able to get around on my own two pins too well, the lack of facilities where you can just sit and take a breather is getting more noticeable.

During the lockdowns watching those less abled having to stand and queue to pay for long periods of time I thought something could be done just to make it a bit easier. 

Mind you I was told once in Tesco that health and safety is their prime responsibility, and not really about making money. Not from where I stand sometimes.

Quite, I noticed this when I first left hospital after my accident, there's no consideration given anywhere to less able people. Where can you stop and sit in Strand Street? Tesco, or Shoprite for that matter have nothing to help anyone taken by sudden pain or giddiness. Grocers used to have a couple of chairs for those who were duff on their pins. All gone, along with the caring society!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@Max PowerTotally agree.

It seems the attitude is get the customers in, get the money off them, and get them out quick again. No clocks in shops.

(BTW It really annoys me having to pay for a cup of tea / coffee and then have to wait at the counter for it. What would they do if you didn't like it and wanted your money back. ?

I know the attitude is to keep the oldies at home not cluttering up the buses and hospital out patients and beds and get them all in nursing homes for a king's ransom every month, sell their oversize houses where they raised their families etc and make them decide to eat or heat, but come on, a little thought by some of the big shops needs to be given. Marks and Spencers take note please.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Manxman27 said:

We need a way to stop suicidal people driving off Marine Drive.

We could improve mental health services?

Nah, let's just close the road off.

The people who are likely to walk or cycle on Marine Drive will still need somewhere to park. What will they do to accommodate that?

It will certainly stop suicidal disabled people from driving off the road, mind you there's still Keristal, where most of them go over. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Quite, I noticed this when I first left hospital after my accident, there's no consideration given anywhere to less able people. Where can you stop and sit in Strand Street? Tesco, or Shoprite for that matter have nothing to help anyone taken by sudden pain or giddiness. Grocers used to have a couple of chairs for those who were duff on their pins. All gone, along with the caring society!

Pretty sure most if not all Shoprite's have a bench inside? not in the aisles obviously!

Needs to be closed to vehicular traffic, get rid of all these noisy cars and let the dogs shit in peace.

• Haha 2

Presumably there will be special vehicular access for people who need to dump their old tvs, washing machines, builders' waste etc.

They can't be expected to keep that stuff outside their house.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, finlo said:

Pretty sure most if not all Shoprite's have a bench inside? not in the aisles obviously!

Shoprite definitely have seats in Douglas as saw some old boy who was feeling ill sitting down last week, by the checkout and pharmacy 

there bare benches in the side streets off strand street, i guess with all the vehicles that deliver to the shop fronts you can't really have benches and planters in the middle of the street.

Based on the reasons for closure in the consultation document we could end up with all roads being closed to vehicular traffic.  I might guess that it is easier to close than to maintain ?   The Minister also states that a business case cannot be found to reinstate the road, however, a case has been found to replace the railway bridges on the old railway track !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Cypman said:

The Minister also states that a business case cannot be found to reinstate the road, however, a case has been found to replace the railway bridges on the old railway track !!

'Cos MAMIL.

• Haha 2