Douglas doesn't look good enough!

7 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

One of the most scenic "roads" on the island and would benefit from having the horse trams up there. Big car park at the Port Soderick end would be ideal for stabling the horses.

it has been mentioned before, but horse trams are no use on hills, marine drive is a lot of hill in places,  the horse trams should be between the road and the walkway single track with passing places

• Like 3
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been driving along the prom twice a day this week and it is honestly in my opinion worse now than when it was "broken"

Totally , a friend has two businesses down there and he's always very optimistic but he's now at the end of his tether tbh. One shop is just about inaccessable and very little parking while the other

But just imagine if they weren’t. Just imagine that we all came together, without ego or agendas, and came together to create a space as described. Imagine the joy of those who built it and and joy of

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Remember Douglas2000?

And the Douglas Development lot?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Douglas Development Partnership!!

That Pycroft fella is still about, assistant chief something or other these days. He's been involved the whole time with all these schemes, including The Masterplan.

I had wondered in one of the other threads about DC having to come to the conclusion after 20 years in charge that he's really not very good at his job. But it's not just him is it?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Remember Douglas2000?

At around that time I went to a public meeting about Douglas planning stuff. There were discussions about grandiose schemes around Lord Street bus stop (and there still are).

Chris Robertshaw suggested flattening Victory House on Prospect Hill just so that some kind of sky walkway or whatever could be built from Strand Street up to Prospect Hill.

This must have been one of the first public meetings I went to on the IoM, because I was astounded at the irrational thinking of the people at the front of the room. I now know better.

Well, actually I was wondering if a monorail would be more suitable, but I now realise ManxForums members have already got the patent on that idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

At around that time I went to a public meeting about Douglas planning stuff. There were discussions about grandiose schemes around Lord Street bus stop (and there still are).

Chris Robertshaw suggested flattening Victory House on Prospect Hill just so that some kind of sky walkway or whatever could be built from Strand Street up to Prospect Hill.

This must have been one of the first public meetings I went to on the IoM, because I was astounded at the irrational thinking of the people at the front of the room. I now know better.

Well, actually I was wondering if a monorail would be more suitable, but I now realise ManxForums members have already got the patent on that idea.

Monorail is a great idea. I went on the monorail which went around Sydney, Australia, just before they dismantled it. Nice ride. 

Unfortunately anything with wheels here you can bet your pound. that our politicos, civil servants and contractors will completely mess it up, overbudget, overpriced and completed years behind schedule. Everyone’s a winner except the taxpayers.

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Unfortunately anything with wheels here you can bet your pound. that our politicos, civil servants and contractors will completely mess it up

Unfortunately not only wheels. I was at the airport today for an injection. I had time to marvel at the skirting boards in the "hub"- all over-designed. Also I took a look at the airport control tower - a megastructure that looks like an East German border gun post - also substantially over-designed. And upstairs there are still the 4 or 5 bar-code scanners which are all unnecessary (because there are at max. two baggage scanners, and one person with a hand-held scanner can keep up with that).

On the way there and back I traversed Douglas Promenade - need I say more. Granite blocks, concrete blocks, brick blocks, multi-coloured paving, walls, rumble strips, insets, outsets, fake pedestrian crossings, ground level fibre lighting ... I imagine it in a scene from a film, with Michael Caine standing there saying "I only told you to lay some bleedin' tarmac".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They’re still there aren’t they? Tucked into that funny old shop next to the Rovers. I saw Pyecroft coming out of there just this week. It does raise an interesting point about how many people Douglas employs to make it look like such an awful dump. 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, finlo said:

Over one billion in to date apparently, anyone care to speculate where  it was lavished?

I was thinking of asking how much has been spent.... really? £1Bn?!! You could drop lots and rebuild for that.